Orwell And His Memory

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:13 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orwell And His Memory

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
An interesting opinion on the supposed origin of 1984's "Thought Police".
https://fee.org/articles/the-origins...they-scare-us/
Koestlers books, compliment Orwell's. Koestler was imprisoned in Spain and wrote a novel depicting the Stalin trials, and the thinking that may make the falsely charged view it as good politically.

Darkness at Noon
Spanish Testament/Dialogue with Death
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 2:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Koestlers books, compliment Orwell's. Koestler was imprisoned in Spain and wrote a novel depicting the Stalin trials, and the thinking that may make the falsely charged view it as good politically.

Darkness at Noon
Spanish Testament/Dialogue with Death
Koestler is a fascinating character, very prolific writer on all sorts of topics. I always thought of the two of them together, devouring their works as a teenager. One interesting thing, they were personally total polar opposites. One was English through and through, the other was a multilingual cosmopolitan who deliberately became “more English than the English,” like many other deracinated middle Europeans of his generation. Others that spring to mind are Stefan Zweig and Elias Canetti. And like Canetti, Koestler was personally an evil and repellant person. (Serial rapists and abusers both.)

Koestler and Zweig both committed suicide, and both caused their wives to also die in suicide pacts. Canetti, for his part, encouraged more than one woman to commit suicide. Iris Murdoch was in an abusive relationship with him for many years, in which she consented to be abased and humiliated by him in public etc..

By comparison, George Orwell was by all accounts a considerate & decent man and treated his friends well.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The same generation as Eric Blair. Also a great influence on my generation - A Brief Wyndham Biography
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 6:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The same generation as Eric Blair. Also a great influence on my generation - A Brief Wyndham Biography
Interesting. I read Day of the Triffids, Chrysalids, and Kraken Wakes as a youngster. I don’t think I knew he died relatively young. I feel in that generation, there’s quite a genre of science or engineering-based novels - whether fantasy or reality based. These were often men who had worked as scientists or in intelligence during the war. Two others I’m thinking of are Nigel Balchin and Nevil Shute. Many of his novels are set in WWII, often RAF settings.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:05 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by scot47
I think I will try to read that. Like Robin1234 I avidly read all his books as a youngster. Same for Orwell.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 8:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Interesting. I read Day of the Triffids, Chrysalids, and Kraken Wakes as a youngster. I don’t think I knew he died relatively young. I feel in that generation, there’s quite a genre of science or engineering-based novels - whether fantasy or reality based. These were often men who had worked as scientists or in intelligence during the war. Two others I’m thinking of are Nigel Balchin and Nevil Shute. Many of his novels are set in WWII, often RAF settings.
Arthur C. Clarke comes to mind as well.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 11:39 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

Koestler is a fascinating character, very prolific writer on all sorts of topics. I always thought of the two of them together, devouring their works as a teenager. One interesting thing, they were personally total polar opposites. One was English through and through, the other was a multilingual cosmopolitan who deliberately became “more English than the English,” like many other deracinated middle Europeans of his generation. Others that spring to mind are Stefan Zweig and Elias Canetti. And like Canetti, Koestler was personally an evil and repellant person. (Serial rapists and abusers both.)

Koestler and Zweig both committed suicide, and both caused their wives to also die in suicide pacts. Canetti, for his part, encouraged more than one woman to commit suicide. Iris Murdoch was in an abusive relationship with him for many years, in which she consented to be abased and humiliated by him in public etc..

By comparison, George Orwell was by all accounts a considerate & decent man and treated his friends well.
Interesting details on Koestler. I read several of his books and know his basic biographical details, but know little about his personal life.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading Koestler as a teenager in the 1960s. Formative in my anti-Stalinist ideas.