British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Old member, but back here after years away (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/old-member-but-back-here-after-years-away-927547/)

BookBear Aug 29th 2019 12:55 am

Old member, but back here after years away

Hello all. It's been years since I visited BE. I've been in Australia for nearly 19 years, and desperately want to move back to England. I've come here to read post of people who have gone through similar situations, done it, not done it. etc.

I won't post the whole sob story here, it's just a reintroduction post :-)

Also...might see if i can change my profile name...

Jerseygirl Aug 29th 2019 1:05 am

Re: Old member, but back here after years away

Welcome back. If you wish to change your username, please drop BEVS a PM.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/members/bevs-16446/

As you are not a new member I am moving your post over to our MBTTUK forum...you will find many like souls in there. I hope you stick around. :fingerscrossed:

BookBear Aug 29th 2019 1:11 am

Cheers for that. Makes sense :-)

Merseygirl Sep 2nd 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by BookBear (Post 12728803)
Hello all. It's been years since I visited BE. I've been in Australia for nearly 19 years, and desperately want to move back to England. I've come here to read post of people who have gone through similar situations, done it, not done it. etc.

I notice you are living in Adelaide, so welcome back from a fellow Brit in South Australia 😊.

ianandhelena Sep 3rd 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by BookBear (Post 12728803)

We've been here for 13 years, and just started to think about heading home, most likely in 2023.

BookBear Sep 3rd 2019 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Merseygirl (Post 12730348)
I notice you are living in Adelaide, so welcome back from a fellow Brit in South Australia 😊.

Cheers Merseygirl. How are you finding it here? I loved it to begin with. I didn’t choose to leave England for Australia, just to stay here once I got here. So have always felt a bit torn between the two places (although it’s really three, as Ireland was home for many years too). I find Adelaide a great place for bringing up children. But I want out 😕 I’m not in a great place mentally as a result, as my husband is definitely not interested in moving to the UK.

Merseygirl Sep 11th 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by BookBear (Post 12731268)

Cheers Merseygirl. How are you finding it here? I loved it to begin with. I didn’t choose to leave England for Australia, just to stay here once I got here. So have always felt a bit torn between the two places (although it’s really three, as Ireland was home for many years too). I find Adelaide a great place for bringing up children. But I want out 😕 I’m not in a great place mentally as a result, as my husband is definitely not interested in moving to the UK.

I find it to be OK, never been crazy about the place but don't hate it either. I appreciate the good things about Adelaide but see the problems as well. Overall, I have a good standard of living and have been grateful for the experience. I don't have children so can't comment on that aspect.
I was going to return to the UK 10 years ago when my marriage broke up, but ended up staying in Adelaide as I met a new partner who I am still with. But like you, I am torn between two places and will never really think of Australia as home in the deepest sense. Having said that, I know that the UK would feel different for me as well now. It's the curse of the expat :(.

shelley748 Sep 13th 2019 7:08 pm

Bookbear- I think Merseygirl is right- I have never really felt that Canada is "home"- never having grown up here, no family or school friends. The UK will always be my "grown up home" if that makes sense. I love Canada don't get me wrong but I don't feel Canadian or British- somewhere in between. Good luck to you and your endeavours. Its always tough- lot of people ping pong back and forth for that reason.

Irish Guinness Sep 16th 2019 10:41 pm

Yep as you say it’s the curse of the expats. Have lived in most of Oz mostly in Adelaide don’t hate it just a place.
i have thought many times about returning to Ireland, sadly I get cold feet and have now left it to late.
my advice to anyone thinking of heading back to their homeland, do it while your young enough, don’t leave it to late
you can always return if you choose ☘️☘️☘️☘️

Merseygirl Sep 17th 2019 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness (Post 12736287)
Yep as you say it’s the curse of the expats. Have lived in most of Oz mostly in Adelaide don’t hate it just a place.
i have thought many times about returning to Ireland, sadly I get cold feet and have now left it to late.
my advice to anyone thinking of heading back to their homeland, do it while your young enough, don’t leave it to late
you can always return if you choose ☘️☘️☘️☘️

Good advice Irish Guinness. :thumbup: