OK, that was THE LAST TIME

Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK, that was THE LAST TIME

my family will ever have to take me to Heathrow and watch me leave for The Land of the Living Dead. Next flight to England will be one way.

I'm feeling pretty low at being back here (hard to believe I know, given my devastating good looks and being the forum's favourite metro sexual ). Came back yesterday and went straight into our new apartment, which is quite nice and quiet at least

Anyway, Mrs Triboy had been doing some thinking while she was in Korea and I was in the UK. She's back now and even though her degree won't be done until Nov, it 'looks' like I may be going ahead a few mths early. I had a great time at home and experienced a level of customer service there that Oz couldn't aspire to in their wildest dreams. Every time I go home I'm flabbergasted at the choice that the consumer gets there, from groceries to utilities, and they really know the meaning of consumer rights there. Something which is disgracefully low here, but then again I suppose the Aussies are so apathetic and accepting of low standards, they deserve what they get.

Anyway, I digress. Mrs Triboy is all geared up for moving in Nov, but she is saying that I should go ahead, as apparently I've 'paid my dues' by coming back in 06 and supporting her through her degree. But the big problem is we don't like to be apart (but I can deal with it easier than she can as she's never really been alone with flat sharing etc, but I lived on my own for 6yrs after my divorce).

So she came up with a plan. We're on a 6mth lease here (I initially asked for 12mths, but changed my mind last minute and asked for 6). It's pretty expensive here, and quite big, so the idea is that when the lease is up (July 1) we'll move out and get a cheaper, small 2 bed unit, or large one bed in a cheaper area (probably Eastwood as that's where all the Koreans are). Then I'll go on ahead, and we'll get her Dad out here for 3 mths so she isn't alone and neither will he be (it's only him in Korea, no other family). Also if they are in Eastwood FIL can walk down the shops and have a conversation in Korean (he can't speak English). Then when the degree is done also coincides with our 4yrs married date, so I 'think' she can go for an ILR visa (unless they've changed the law).

Only two real issues with this plan. Can we handle being away from each other for that long? and can the visa be applied for if she's here and I'm there?

I'd like to go a bit early but maybe not 'that' early as it feels a bit selfish to me. But it would mean I could base myself at my parent's house and find a job when I'm over there rather than having to get one from here (I'll try to do that though).

What's pleasing though is that Mrs Triboy has completely changed her outlook since 06 and now she says she doesn't worry whether we leave the UK or are there for good, as long as we are close to family (Korea is only 30mins longer from the UK as it is from Oz).

What does feel weird is that we are making plans to leave Oz but have just moved into a new place (forced to). It's seems counter intuitive to our plans. BUT, it has given us the opportunity to 'prune' so more stuff. Took us 3.5hrs to pack for this move, I reckon we can get it down to 2.45 in July

I hope this post makes sense, I'm jolly tired and suffering from post flu nausea They were calling 'Brisbane Flu' in the UK. Bloody northern monkey knuckle draggers

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 9th 2009 at 8:33 am.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 9:23 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK, that was THE LAST TIME

Wooohoo!! So you could be home much sooner how fab!

As you know I was away from OH for several months twice in the last 15mths. I found it quite hard at times, but at the time it had to be done. Things were made a lot easier hooking up via webcam though.

As for the Brisbane flu! I am trying to get a jab done before we go.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

3 months apart will go quite quickly, and I am sure your time will be busy looking for work, finding a place to live etc; it will be November before you know it
Good Luck with it all!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:12 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Triboy - what brilliant news - I'm so happy for you! Bet you can't wait. And the time will fly by you'll be that busy sorting things out
Old Jan 12th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

to get your wife ILR she will have to do a "Life in the UK" test I believe and I think this can only be done in the UK.
I am not 100% sure of my facts though, so best to email JAJ who gives immigration advice on this site, including UK immigration.

I think this is the case though as my husband is a Kiwi and has lived with me in the UK for 7 years with ILR. We are now moving to Oz and if he leaves the UK for longer than 2 years his UK ILR lapses, and I can remember reading up and noticing he would have to do a "Life in the UK" test to get his ILR back ("Life in the UK" test didn't exist when he got his IL 7 years ago, but now it does.)

In the end we got him UK citizenship based on his marriage to me, a British citizen. Once your wife has lived in the UK with you for more than 3 years she will be eligible too for citizenship.

Good luck.