Oh Thank You Boris

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Thank You Boris

Originally Posted by not2old
I am & always will be in the currency of the country that I live in, which at present is Canada (in Canadian dollars).

What about you, which currency or assets is (the majority of) your wealth in?

I'm in euros. And waiting for sterling to drop further so I can move funds to the UK with a view to buying a house at some point.
Any guesses about how low the pound is likely to go against the euro?
Mind you, any gains I make on the exchange rate are probably going to be offset by the continuing rise in house prices in the UK and changes to stamp duty.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:35 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I'm in euros. And waiting for sterling to drop further so I can move funds to the UK with a view to buying a house at some point.
Any guesses about how low the pound is likely to go against the euro?
Mind you, any gains I make on the exchange rate are probably going to be offset by the continuing rise in house prices in the UK and changes to stamp duty.
I'll pick a number for you - 1.20

At present its in the 1.28 range, down from the 1.45 in the most recent past

XE.com - GBP/EUR Chart

Is 1.28 a good number for you?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 2:40 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Very interesting yes, but not quite an official exchange rate (I think they get stale or eaten).
Ya, well, I should have been more clear and said purchasing parity. I recall a discussion many years ago in another community where it was stated that "normalish" purchasing parity between the UK/US is generally regarded to be around $1.62 (in dollars obviously).
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
When the HO first introduced the savings requirement of £62500, a UK/US couple would have needed around $103,000 to move home. Today they would need around $88,000.

An excellent observation and one very relevant to this forum.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:13 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that there is no certainty at all that the pound will drop further. The market is reacting to the campaign, and nobody knows how that is going to go.

In a couple of weeks the polls could be saying that the Brexiters are ahead, with the result that multinationals start packing their bags and preparing redundancy notices, while there is a run on the pound. Or on the other hand ....
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:17 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

right now its being shorted long at 1.78. Could that be an indicator?

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/GB...Shorting-Plan/
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am & always will be in the currency of the country that I live in, which at present is Canada (in Canadian dollars).
Some of us don't have that choice. My "wealth" is about 10:3:1 UKP: Euro: $Cdn, but my non-investment income is about 10:1 $Cdn:UKP. My expenditures roughly reflect the "wealth" ratios, not the income ratios.

Given that forex rates don't directly effect wealth but can strongly effect income I'd always prefer a tanking pound (vs the $C).
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:21 pm
Born again atheist

right now its being shorted long at 1.78. Could that be an indicator?

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/GB...Shorting-Plan/
Err, that "plan" is over a year out of date.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 3:54 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
It seems to me that there is no certainty at all that the pound will drop further. The market is reacting to the campaign, and nobody knows how that is going to go. In a couple of weeks the polls could be saying that the Brexiters are ahead, with the result that multinationals start packing their bags and preparing redundancy notices, while there is a run on the pound. Or on the other hand ....
I agree there is no certainty. But, at least as far as US Dollars are concerned, the pound has been falling against the dollar for a while now, and there was no improvement after the Tories were re-elected. Indeed it has fallen further.
Both economies are improving so, if there were confidence in social and political stability, we should have purchasing parity. But we don't.
Like it or not, pound sterling is tied to the euro in the markets, at least in the eyes of traders. And the Euro has been falling against the dollar for a while too. But, since last weekends announcements, it has not taken the hit that the pound has.
Brexit won't change this, since Britain wants to stay in the shared market. Everybody throwing their toys out of the pram is going to cause instability for quite some time, IMO.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 5:47 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

since Britain wants to stay in the shared market
I don't understand that. You can't leave the EU and remain in it. And if we leave, our trading with the EU will be regulated by the EU. What we want won't cut much ice.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I have a lot of oil
I used to have that problem too, but I got this fantastic new face soap and that's helped a lot
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:34 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't understand that. You can't leave the EU and remain in it. And if we leave, our trading with the EU will be regulated by the EU. What we want won't cut much ice.
Well, duh!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:36 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I used to have that problem too, but I got this fantastic new face soap and that's helped a lot
You should update your avatar.

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You should update your avatar.

Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
When the HO first introduced the savings requirement of £62500, a UK/US couple would have needed around $103,000 to move home. Today they would need around $88,000.
I was just thinking the same thing, rebeccajo. In addition to that, our home value has been rapidly increasing for the past year, with projections to continue through at least the end of the year. Sometimes there is a reason why things don't go as we hoped and our plans are delayed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.