British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Number of British citizens seeking Irish passports surges in past 12 months (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/number-british-citizens-seeking-irish-passports-surges-past-12-months-874301/)

HKG3 Mar 14th 2016 6:43 pm

Number of British citizens seeking Irish passports surges in past 12 months

It appears that many British people are worry about the UK leaving the EU -

Number of British citizens seeking Irish passports surges in past 12 months - Irish Post

BritInParis Mar 14th 2016 8:24 pm

Re: Number of British citizens seeking Irish passports surges in past 12 months

128 extra applications a year is hardly a tidal wave.

teejaydee Mar 14th 2016 8:47 pm

Surely there's no need to rush? If someone is entitled to an Irish Passport before the referendum, would they not still be entitled after the referendum?

BritInParis Mar 14th 2016 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by teejaydee (Post 11895313)
Surely there's no need to rush? If someone is entitled to an Irish Passport before the referendum, would they not still be entitled after the referendum?

Indeed. The referendum has most likely prompted those extra applicants to register themselves when they may have not bothered otherwise but they could equally do so at any time in the future.

BristolUK Mar 15th 2016 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11895298)
128 extra applications a year is hardly a tidal wave.

Doesn't that rather depend on what the norm is?

Last year 507 British citizens, entitled to apply for an Irish passport through the granny rule, applied to the Irish Government for a passport.

This is up from 379 in 2014 – an increase of 33 per cent or 128 applications.
Sounds like the surge referred to in the headline.

Of course it doesn't mean Ireland will be 'swamped' by granny rule immigrants. :rofl:

BritInParis Mar 15th 2016 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11895902)
Doesn't that rather depend on what the norm is?

Sounds like the surge referred to in the headline.

Of course it doesn't mean Ireland will be 'swamped' by granny rule immigrants. :rofl:

Lies, damned lies and statistics. It's the difference between the absolute, relative and relatively relative. An increase of 33% per annum may sound like a lot but when the starting figure is so low in relation to the potential number of applicants then it's still not a lot. In absolute terms it's 128 extra Irish citizens. Since there are an estimated six million Britons with a Irish-born grandparent statistically it's pretty meaningless.

BristolUK Mar 16th 2016 6:08 pm

Another way to look at it is whether the admin staff can cope with the extra work ;)

As a civil servant of 30+ years there was never a time where there wasn't a backlog. An increase of 30% would have meant using the floor as well as my desk. :ohmy:

BritInParis Mar 16th 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11897444)
Another way to look at it is whether the admin staff can cope with the extra work ;)

As a civil servant of 30+ years there was never a time where there wasn't a backlog. An increase of 30% would have meant using the floor as well as my desk. :ohmy:

Well that is another way of looking at it. I can't imagine the Irish Embassy in London has more than half a dozen staff handling consular affairs.

BEVS Mar 16th 2016 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11895385)
Indeed. The referendum has most likely prompted those extra applicants to register themselves when they may have not bothered otherwise but they could equally do so at any time in the future.

Perhaps I should add to the load . :sneaky:

Lovely Irish Mum was from Waterford. :wub:

BritInParis Mar 16th 2016 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 11897585)
Perhaps I should add to the load . :sneaky:

Lovely Irish Mum was from Waterford. :wub:

If your Mum was born in Ireland then you are already an Irish citizen :) It would be worth registering your children if they don't have any of their own yet so your grandchildren can be registered when the time comes.

Still Game Jun 28th 2016 8:55 am

I may apply for mine. If I felt I needed it for an easier move through the EU or wanted to work etc. in a EU country

BritInParis Jun 28th 2016 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Still Game (Post 11987445)
I may apply for mine. If I felt I needed it for an easier move through the EU or wanted to work etc. in a EU country

It's a useful thing to have in any case. Irish passports are often seen as 'neutral' if you travel anywhere dodgy.

rebeccajo Jun 28th 2016 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11988233)
It's a useful thing to have in any case. Irish passports are often seen as 'neutral' if you travel anywhere dodgy.

I heard a story once about a group of young people from Northern Ireland who were traveling to the US in the late 80's. Things were still quite bad in Northern Ireland. They were going on an exchange program. These were youngsters who had never had passports, and the program leaders were helping them navigate that process.

The young people were advised to apply for an Irish passport rather than British. The advice was given under caution of a possible hijacking of the plane. The students were told that paras would be less likely to shoot hostages who held Irish passports. Brits would likely be shot on sight.

True story.

BritInParis Jun 28th 2016 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by rebeccajo (Post 11988312)
I heard a story once about a group of young people from Northern Ireland who were traveling to the US in the late 80's. Things were still quite bad in Northern Ireland. They were going on an exchange program. These were youngsters who had never had passports, and the program leaders were helping them navigate that process.

The young people were advised to apply for an Irish passport rather than British. The advice was given under caution of a possible hijacking of the plane. The students were told that paras would be less likely to shoot hostages who held Irish passports. Brits would likely be shot on sight.

True story.

I can believe it.

An Irish passport is a much prized asset amongst journalists, particularly those travelling to the Middle East/war zones, as unlike the UK/USA/France, etc.. as it's unlikely that the Irish Air Force had just carpet bombed a nearby village or was occupying the country.

rebeccajo Jun 28th 2016 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11988317)
I can believe it.

An Irish passport is a much prized asset amongst journalists, particularly those travelling to the Middle East/war zones, as unlike the UK/USA/France, etc.. as it's unlikely that the Irish Air Force had just carpet bombed a nearby village or was occupying the country.

:lol: I know I shouldn't laugh, but that was funny.