NHS

Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With respect Editha, it's not the NHS that you should be dissatisfied with, it's recent Conservative Governments' enthusiastic programmes to defund it in preparation for the introduction of privatised health care in the US mould.
Exactly
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

With respect Editha, it's not the NHS that you should be dissatisfied with, it's recent Conservative Governments' enthusiastic programmes to defund it in preparation for the introduction of privatised health care in the US mould.
I don't think the NHS has a lack of funding, but that the funding is badly used and wasted.

Recently a senior woman manager was sacked from her extremely well paid job for being incompetent, and she received a substantial payout, yet was immediately reinstated on the same high pay in a job invented for her, with no other applicants asked to apply.

Equipment is badly wasted and ends up in recycling or rubbish tips, there is no process in place for its return. When my mother needed equipment in Adelaide it had to be rented from Domiciliary Care located at the local public hospital, and then returned when it wasn't needed. In England I've ended up with two walking sticks, an indoor trolley and a 4-wheel walker, and have been told they don't want any of it back. Patients try to return unwanted equipment with no success, so how much more wastage is there we don't know of?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:46 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not looking for a retirement village! Who thought I was? Either for my mother or me. I was trying to answer Bev's (slightly off-topic) query, that's all.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I don't think the NHS has a lack of funding, but that the funding is badly used and wasted.

Recently a senior woman manager was sacked from her extremely well paid job for being incompetent, and she received a substantial payout, yet was immediately reinstated on the same high pay in a job invented for her, with no other applicants asked to apply.

Equipment is badly wasted and ends up in recycling or rubbish tips, there is no process in place for its return. When my mother needed equipment in Adelaide it had to be rented from Domiciliary Care located at the local public hospital, and then returned when it wasn't needed. In England I've ended up with two walking sticks, an indoor trolley and a 4-wheel walker, and have been told they don't want any of it back. Patients try to return unwanted equipment with no success, so how much more wastage is there we don't know of?
Ah, I love the smell of an anecdote in the morning.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

Ah, I love the smell of an anecdote in the morning.
Well the second paragraph is at least pretty accurate Southern Health NHS Trust boss Katrina Percy's new role causes anger - BBC News I heard the Chair of the Trust on the radio. It was pretty unbelievable.

Sorry posted too soon, because otherwise you are completely right about the underfunding/building towards privatisation scenario. People are sleepwalking towards losing the NHS by believing the government/media koolaid. The junior doctors are not taking their stand for their own sake. They are doing it to save the NHS. Someone has to.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Sep 17th 2016 at 11:37 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm not looking for a retirement village! Who thought I was? Either for my mother or me. I was trying to answer Bev's (slightly off-topic) query, that's all.
I will confirm the above. Editha is in no way looking for a retirement village.

It was me that took things a bit off slant.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I picked this one https://www.retirementvillages.co.uk...am-hill-house/ just because it's in Devon and might be of interest to Editha.
Soz Editha. I'm going off topic again.

That one looks like a care home Novo. I was thinking more like this. It comes with a care facility if needs be , however the village is of independent homes too.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:18 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Soz Editha. I'm going off topic again.

That one looks like a care home Novo. I was thinking more like this. It comes with a care facility if needs be , however the village is of independent homes too.
This more like that, but without swimming pools and childrens playgrounds.
Retirement Housing | BUPA Goldsborough Estates located all over, pull cords in rooms, but no wardens or assistance, mangers on site for organizing repairs and things, but the inside of your apartment is your responsibility and you make your own choices.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:25 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've previously checked out these kind of facilities for my parents.The reality often falls far short of the promises in the glossy brochure.

For example there is a retirement community near me, almost identical to the one Novo provided a link to. The care home, described in the brochure as 'country house living' is actually full of local authority funded elderly, who were moved there when their council run care home closed down, and are mostly unhappy about the move, which took them further from their families.

Most of them are too ill to leave their rooms, so the promised community life does not exist; the communal areas are lovely, but deserted.

The estate, which is gorgeous, contains a 'village' of privately owned houses for the over 55's which were sold with the promise that care would be available when they needed it. In fact, the management company has not been able to keep its promise. This is because the home is short staffed, with staff on the minimum wage, and the whole enterprise has the air of teetering on the edge of insolvency. Unfortunately for the residents in the houses, there are no transport facilities and the development is quite remote. So, even if they were able to access some domiciliary care from the home, they'd still have the problem of shopping, getting to doctor's appointments etc.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 8:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I've previously checked out these kind of facilities for my parents.The reality often falls far short of the promises in the glossy brochure.

For example there is a retirement community near me, almost identical to the one Novo provided a link to. The care home, described in the brochure as 'country house living' is actually full of local authority funded elderly, who were moved there when their council run care home closed down, and are mostly unhappy about the move, which took them further from their families.

Most of them are too ill to leave their rooms, so the promised community life does not exist; the communal areas are lovely, but deserted.

The estate, which is gorgeous, contains a 'village' of privately owned houses for the over 55's which were sold with the promise that care would be available when they needed it. In fact, the management company has not been able to keep its promise. This is because the home is short staffed, with staff on the minimum wage, and the whole enterprise has the air of teetering on the edge of insolvency. Unfortunately for the residents in the houses, there are no transport facilities and the development is quite remote. So, even if they were able to access some domiciliary care from the home, they'd still have the problem of shopping, getting to doctor's appointments etc.
That sounds really sad. OTOH my mother, who suffered from early Parkinson's, was happy in a sheltered independent living community for, let me see, 15 years after my father died in 1988. Of course she was slowly deteriorating all that time and eventually had to move into a care home with nursing staff in, I think, 2003. She lived there and was well looked after (according to my sisters... I was in Canada and only saw her once or twice a year).

She died in 2010. I don't think she had a bad end.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 8:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

That sounds really sad. OTOH my mother, who suffered from early Parkinson's, was happy in a sheltered independent living community for, let me see, 15 years after my father died in 1988. Of course she was slowly deteriorating all that time and eventually had to move into a care home with nursing staff in, I think, 2003. She lived there and was well looked after (according to my sisters... I was in Canada and only saw her once or twice a year).

She died in 2010. I don't think she had a bad end.
OTOH that was 30 years ago. Try googling 'care crisis.'
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 2:25 pm
Born again atheist

OTOH that was 30 years ago. Try googling 'care crisis.'
I'd forgotten this thread. She died 6 years ago and had paid for her own care since 1988 (sheltered housing first and then nursing home residence).

My most recent experience with actual state funded adult care is still ongoing. My FIL was released from an NHS hospital where he'd spent a month since having a fall as a result of having secondary bone cancer.

After release he spent a week living with my SIL in her fairly spacious bungalow while we arranged for a stairlift to be installed in his house. We paid for that but all his other needs (bath lift, 2 commodes, 2 Zimmers and various other bits and pieces were provided free of charge by either the Hospital or Newcastle Adult Care Service.

He has 4 carer visits a day, regular District Nurse visits, yesterday a visit from an NHS Chiropodist and we or he couldn't possibly have a complaint.

Now these services are only guaranteed to be free of charge for the first six weeks (3 more to go), so we'll see what happens next.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

We had a similar level of care for mum after she broke her arm a couple of years ago.

The difficulties arose after that. She was very confused after her fall, and although she recovered, she never went back to normal. It was clear that she was in the early stages of dementia. My brother was still working, and I was still in Canada, so we could only pay for a care assistant to come and give her a meal each day. The quality of the carers was very low. We were paying £15 a day for a teenage boy (often) to arrive, put some cheese and biscuits in front of mum, then sit on the sofa and play with his i-phone for five minutes, before leaving.

We were fortunate because my mum's cleaner, who'd worked for her for years, stepped up to the mark and became mum's carer. Although unqualified, she provided much better care than the agency care-workers, and it was a stop-gap until we found a more permanent solution.

We tried out a home (see my post above). Mum spent a week in luxurious surroundings, but without anyone showing her how to use the shower, or asking her if she'd like a cup of tea.

Hence the solution of mum moving near me, so I can supervise her care. We are now using self-employed, qualified carers. I strongly advise that you avoid using the agencies -- they pay the minimum wage, or less, and the quality of their employees reflects this.

We did get some help from Occupational Therapy after a long wait, but otherwise mum's care package has been totally DIY.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 4:12 pm
Born again atheist

We had a similar level of care for mum after she broke her arm a couple of years ago.

The difficulties arose after that. She was very confused after her fall, and although she recovered, she never went back to normal. It was clear that she was in the early stages of dementia. My brother was still working, and I was still in Canada, so we could only pay for a care assistant to come and give her a meal each day. The quality of the carers was very low. We were paying £15 a day for a teenage boy (often) to arrive, put some cheese and biscuits in front of mum, then sit on the sofa and play with his i-phone for five minutes, before leaving.

We were fortunate because my mum's cleaner, who'd worked for her for years, stepped up to the mark and became mum's carer. Although unqualified, she provided much better care than the agency care-workers, and it was a stop-gap until we found a more permanent solution.

We tried out a home (see my post above). Mum spent a week in luxurious surroundings, but without anyone showing her how to use the shower, or asking her if she'd like a cup of tea.

Hence the solution of mum moving near me, so I can supervise her care. We are now using self-employed, qualified carers. I strongly advise that you avoid using the agencies -- they pay the minimum wage, or less, and the quality of their employees reflects this.

We did get some help from Occupational Therapy after a long wait, but otherwise mum's care package has been totally DIY.
I wish us all the best of luck. FIL is in studied denial (who can blame him?). But bone cancer won't go away.
Old Sep 25th 2016, 8:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'd forgotten this thread. She died 6 years ago and had paid for her own care since 1988 (sheltered housing first and then nursing home residence).

My most recent experience with actual state funded adult care is still ongoing. My FIL was released from an NHS hospital where he'd spent a month since having a fall as a result of having secondary bone cancer.

After release he spent a week living with my SIL in her fairly spacious bungalow while we arranged for a stairlift to be installed in his house. We paid for that but all his other needs (bath lift, 2 commodes, 2 Zimmers and various other bits and pieces were provided free of charge by either the Hospital or Newcastle Adult Care Service.

He has 4 carer visits a day, regular District Nurse visits, yesterday a visit from an NHS Chiropodist and we or he couldn't possibly have a complaint.

Now these services are only guaranteed to be free of charge for the first six weeks (3 more to go), so we'll see what happens next.
Before the 6 weeks are up there should be another meeting with the Social worker and now the carers bosses, to reassess his needs, they may well continue to fund for x number of weeks, or they may reduce the Package of care, or say he has to pay, there is a maximum amount that people pay here in Wales if the SW and others all say he needs a package of care daily, here it's £60 a week. even if the carers have to visit 4 times a day. Not sure what it is or if there is a cap in other areas. District nurse visits are always free, it's just carers who are charged for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.