Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old Jun 18th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by sadie141
I wasn't actually asking for advice on housing since im just waiting for a flat to be available to me and im short/listed for one. Since im 72 and lived in the usa for 43 years, I use the term snr/housing cos that's what we use here, but actually it just usually means for 62 and over and that's what I hope to move into in uk...retirement/sheltered for 62 and over. Its overwhelming for me to do this since my husband died 9 yrs ago, and I do understand that younger pple and with husbands maybe don't get how overwhelming it is, but im reaching out to my generation now alone or anyone like me in similar circumstances to let them know its ok if you don't understand what expressions others use because of living in different places/countries, I'm just here to gather any help I can get and to give on my own journey...that its ok not to know or remember everything perfectly, since we are so very overwhelmed...but that this too shall pass...not everyone can afford to stay in their own home and pay for all they need...im moving to be close to family..we all have different needs when we become alone
I think Editha just wanted to clarify what type of housing you meant. Posts on here can be very useful to others in a similar situation who look at the site.

Good luck with everything and I hope you'll be very happy in your new home and spending time with your family.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:32 am
Just Joined

sadie141 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think Editha just wanted to clarify what type of housing you meant. Posts on here can be very useful to others in a similar situation who look at the site.

Good luck with everything and I hope you'll be very happy in your new home and spending time with your family.
thank you..I;m waiting for a flat to be offered, and i:m Blessed if I get this place because its very close to all my family. I had only mentioned the possible flat because others asked me where I would live.I.m enjoying this B/E site for info on transporting my animals..re-newing my lost uk driving/license which I had re-newed a few years ago...and generally reading with interest how others have re-settled in uk. After 43 years here I see how different it is in uk when I;ve been back past three years, but I;m fortunate to also have a friend of 45 years who I know from London where I was born/raised and new York, who returned to uk from OZ 7 or so years ago who helps me a lot and will foster my animals when the time comes for me to sell my house here...its just so un-nerving waiting...clearing house and moving alone after 20 yrs in my home!!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

thank you..I;m waiting for a flat to be offered, and i:m Blessed if I get this place because its very close to all my family. I had only mentioned the possible flat because others asked me where I would live.I.m enjoying this B/E site for info on transporting my animals..re-newing my lost uk driving/license which I had re-newed a few years ago...and generally reading with interest how others have re-settled in uk. After 43 years here I see how different it is in uk when I;ve been back past three years, but I;m fortunate to also have a friend of 45 years who I know from London where I was born/raised and new York, who returned to uk from OZ 7 or so years ago who helps me a lot and will foster my animals when the time comes for me to sell my house here...its just so un-nerving waiting...clearing house and moving alone after 20 yrs in my home!!
It's very daunting at the best of times - after 43 years and on your own, you're doing fantastically well! Having a good friend will help too. BE's a nice busy site with lots of great info.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
OK. I hope your name reaches the top of the list soon and you get some housing.

As a preparation for living in the UK, you might find the Age.UK site interesting and useful. It has lots of helpful information.
thank you..I hope I hear soon about accepting a flat, but I have lots to do meanwhile. I have been on the AGE site before and yes its very helpful..I am fortunate to have a friend whos an R.N who returned to uk and works part time, so she keeps me in the loop quite a bit...she will foster my cats while I sell up here and move and has offered for me to stay with her when I bring the fur girls, but I want to be signed up for my rental when I finally get there...too stressful otherwise..especially as I've owned my own home 30+ years now, but very ready for rental now...this is a great site and very helpful for me with info on shipping goods...pets....and replacing my lost UK driving license,,,so thank you
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sadie - I wish you the best of luck with the flat. I may look at something similar once I am there and know the ropes a bit better.

Preparation is daunting but I always remember this: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Doesn't mean it is any the less stressful, though.

Like you, I will have a friend on the other end - no relatives, but a friend - who will watch out for me. It helps a lot to know there is someone to introduce us to our new way of life when we arrive.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by windsong
Hi Sadie - I wish you the best of luck with the flat. I may look at something similar once I am there and know the ropes a bit better.

Preparation is daunting but I always remember this: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Doesn't mean it is any the less stressful, though.

Like you, I will have a friend on the other end - no relatives, but a friend - who will watch out for me. It helps a lot to know there is someone to introduce us to our new way of life when we arrive.
truthfully ws I could not make this move without my nieces help and my friend...when are you leaving??...when you decide where you will eventually land you can look on the web for whats available for seniors there...I will be thinking good thoughts for you on your new venture....did you get the pet/passports??
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:59 am
Just Joined

thank you...just have to wait and work on my house..lol!!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

truthfully ws I could not make this move without my nieces help and my friend...when are you leaving??...when you decide where you will eventually land you can look on the web for whats available for seniors there...I will be thinking good thoughts for you on your new venture....did you get the pet/passports??
Thank you, Sadie.

I leave in three weeks. I am in total turmoil lol! I only decided two weeks ago when it was announced that where I work is being sold. Since I live where I work, it made sense to make the move now - but I wasn't planning to do it until later this year. So . . . this means it is all being done in a rush. Pets had their microchips and rabies shots yesterday and the paperwork has begun, so I am hoping that in a little over three weeks I can depart. I am doing all the prep alone and it is really hard at times because, as you know, there is SO much to do. I hope my nerves survive it.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:27 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazed at how quickly you've managed to organize your move. I'm in awe!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm amazed at how quickly you've managed to organize your move. I'm in awe!
Well, I had already sold my furniture and most of my possessions earlier this year when I moved to this new state for a new job, so that was a big part of the preparation to move in September. I just didn't expect these recent events to happen and bring forward my move. Logistically, it is a nightmare trying to juggle everything, though. What order to do things in, etc.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough, I think sometimes the less time you have to move, the easier it is! Mind you, I had no pets to deal with. But in 1998, we packed up and left in ten days. This time we had over a month and there seemed to be so much more to do but more time to get stressed! Mind you, we were a lot older! All the best with the move Windsong.i am sure you have written a list and then you can enjoy crossing off each item.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by michali
Funnily enough, I think sometimes the less time you have to move, the easier it is! Mind you, I had no pets to deal with. But in 1998, we packed up and left in ten days. This time we had over a month and there seemed to be so much more to do but more time to get stressed! Mind you, we were a lot older! All the best with the move Windsong.i am sure you have written a list and then you can enjoy crossing off each item.
Thank you!

Good gosh, ten days!!! You deserve a medal.

It really helps that I sold everything six months ago. The worst part of it all now - aside from having a lot to do - is that I have a lot of running around to do in a city I don't know. But I will learn - quickly!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

Good gosh, ten days!!! You deserve a medal.

It really helps that I sold everything six months ago. The worst part of it all now - aside from having a lot to do - is that I have a lot of running around to do in a city I don't know. But I will learn - quickly!
So are you still shooting for mid July?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, Sadie.

I leave in three weeks. I am in total turmoil lol! I only decided two weeks ago when it was announced that where I work is being sold. Since I live where I work, it made sense to make the move now - but I wasn't planning to do it until later this year. So . . . this means it is all being done in a rush. Pets had their microchips and rabies shots yesterday and the paperwork has begun, so I am hoping that in a little over three weeks I can depart. I am doing all the prep alone and it is really hard at times because, as you know, there is SO much to do. I hope my nerves survive it.
it makes me laugh when ppl are amazed at what we do, like we have a choice???..Because we need to do it alone we have to focus and forge ahead, but I know your insides and head are working overtime and don't stop..i asked my doc for anti/anxiety pills yesterday, and ive not done that even when my husband died..but this moving overseas is something else entirely...I hadn't realized it was such a quick decision for you, but seems to be inevitable and maybe for you the push you needed..try to get some quiet time every so often to calm yourself, because the animals feed off your anxiety..i see it with my fur/girls already...much Blessings in your new adventure!!
Old Jun 19th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
So are you still shooting for mid July?
Absolutely - if not sooner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.