Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old May 13th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

We have come back to London even though our house in Italy remains unsold after four years, and yes it really is priced to sell and we will accept below the asking price. We rented and struggled to pay £1,000 monthly rent then our son offered us the opportunity to rent his flat in London as he is working abroad at a much lower rent. We love being back, we are 64 and 75 years old, we love our freedom passes which gives us free bus, train and tube fares in London. It can be done, best of luck to everyone hoping to return to the UK.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by PAT M View Post
We have come back to London even though our house in Italy remains unsold after four years, and yes it really is priced to sell and we will accept below the asking price. We rented and struggled to pay £1,000 monthly rent then our son offered us the opportunity to rent his flat in London as he is working abroad at a much lower rent. We love being back, we are 64 and 75 years old, we love our freedom passes which gives us free bus, train and tube fares in London. It can be done, best of luck to everyone hoping to return to the UK.
Hi Pat! Not often I see an age gap between spouses similar to mine. We have 12 years between us, and by the time we get back I will be 58 and the hubby 70. Good to know you CAN start over at ANY age!
Old May 16th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

We are 68 and 75! It is quite scary as the time to leave here approaches fast! I too am looking forward to my Freedom Pass and Senior Rail Card. We love the bus! However, we have to be careful before applying for one for my husband, who will be on a spouse visa. I don't think either comes under Public Funds but we would not want to risk it unless we are sure.
Old May 16th 2014, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali View Post
We are 68 and 75! It is quite scary as the time to leave here approaches fast! I too am looking forward to my Freedom Pass and Senior Rail Card. We love the bus! However, we have to be careful before applying for one for my husband, who will be on a spouse visa. I don't think either comes under Public Funds but we would not want to risk it unless we are sure.
I think he is entitled to it, as much as he is the NHS. It's only things such as housing allowance that won't qualify under the spouse visa. No harm in asking. No penalty for that! Looking forward to enjoying the public transport when we get back too - especially the train. I have missed that more than anything. trains
Old May 19th 2014, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

cdownes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Erin, I've just turned 60 and am planning to move back to the UK when I retire in 2019. I'm actually looking at Scotland as I was born in England, brought up in Ireland, fell off a cliff in Wales, and have lived in Canada since 1986. I reckon I'll be laid to rest in Scotland It's a time to reinvent and start a new phase, you sound like you've earned it, be kind to yourself. As I've learned over the years, sometimes you just have to close your eyes, take a deep breath and leap, you have family to catch you and free bus travel throughout the UK once you turn 60 so go for it! The UK's your oyster! Good luck, you can do it and I doubt you'll regret it at all, just wonder why it took you so long.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdownes View Post
Hi Erin, I've just turned 60 and am planning to move back to the UK when I retire in 2019. I'm actually looking at Scotland as I was born in England, brought up in Ireland, fell off a cliff in Wales, and have lived in Canada since 1986. I reckon I'll be laid to rest in Scotland It's a time to reinvent and start a new phase, you sound like you've earned it, be kind to yourself. As I've learned over the years, sometimes you just have to close your eyes, take a deep breath and leap, you have family to catch you and free bus travel throughout the UK once you turn 60 so go for it! The UK's your oyster! Good luck, you can do it and I doubt you'll regret it at all, just wonder why it took you so long.
There are some requirements to get the FREE bus pass.
Old May 20th 2014, 3:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers View Post
There are some requirements to get the FREE bus pass.
Yep, turning 60 is not one of them I don't think. To be eligible for a free bus pass you need to have reached state pension age I think, which varies with when you were born still. Someone born on 1st June 54 would not be eligible until Jan 2020; if born a year earlier in 1953 you would be eligible in November 2016 and if born 1st June 1952 you will be eligible in July this year. Calculator for state pension age is here - https://www.gov.uk/calculate-state-pension/y

EDIT - sorry, the dates are for women. For men it's definitely at least 65, if not already higher but the calculator will work for both sexes

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 20th 2014 at 4:00 am.
Old May 20th 2014, 5:54 am
Just Joined

cdownes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cdownes View Post
My bad, I should have said 65, missed that when I checked before I posted Sorry.............
Old May 20th 2014, 6:05 am
Just Joined

backtomypast has a brilliant futurebacktomypast has a brilliant futurebacktomypast has a brilliant futurebacktomypast has a brilliant futurebacktomypast has a brilliant futurebacktomypast has a brilliant future

In England it is state pension age and in Scotland it is 60.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:12 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backtomypast View Post
In England it is state pension age and in Scotland it is 60.
There are a lot of differences in the countries aren't there - I missed that, sorry

I think it's 60 in Wales too - and there is no restriction on time of travel.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by michali View Post
You can check on TFL website (a transport for London website) for your husband's entitlement under Freedom passes. Good luck, we love taking the train and then walking from Charing Cross station to St James. Park and then walking to Covent Garden, even taking the bus to do the shopping is fun.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Tr...y-fares/People

Welcome to Scotland !
Old May 21st 2014, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
There are a lot of differences in the countries aren't there - I missed that, sorry

I think it's 60 in Wales too - and there is no restriction on time of travel.
Yes, you are right about that. Another one of the MANY reasons we will be heading to Wales
Old May 25th 2014, 4:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool View Post
Hi Pat! Not often I see an age gap between spouses similar to mine. We have 12 years between us, and by the time we get back I will be 58 and the hubby 70. Good to know you CAN start over at ANY age!
That's so true, PHS. Whether it's a new country or meeting the love of your life, age doesn't have to be a barrier
Old May 25th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That's so true, PHS. Whether it's a new country or meeting the love of your life, age doesn't have to be a barrier
I hope it is not a barrier when it comes to employment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.