Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old May 6th 2014, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

incognito13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by dunroving
You mean that Sally was right?
Whatever
Old May 6th 2014, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by incognito13
Whatever
I wasn't trying to make light of whatever your situation was/is, just trying to wheedle some more details out of you.

Obviously, you don't need to tell your story if you don't want to, but take a look at the Over 40's thread and you'll see a community of old farts who have shared all sorts of experiences of moving back (or wanting to). It makes the experience of being a BE-er more meaningful.
Old May 7th 2014, 4:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I need a page for the nearly 70 who gave moved back! This is doing me in! Fourteen years ago we moved back in ten days. This time I have a month, yet with all the banking arrangements, shipping to organize, I am totally overwhelmed and actually feel quite ill! In some ways, I wish I could just say, let's stay! I hope the fear and trepidation of leaving and settling in, wear off soon so I can just get on with it!
You don't need to be nearly 70 to feel that way. I was physically ill getting it all done too and lost a load of weight from the stress, we had a 45 day escrow and really didn't know what was happening till the last two weeks. Then it was all go.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Well you are lucky you have lost weight, I am putting it on and on with the stress! It seems our house is overpriced and prices are falling some more so we are very worried! Absolutely no interest at all whatsoever and it is looking so beautiful at the moment! As we are retiring what we get for the house plays a huge roll on our future!
Old May 7th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Well you are lucky you have lost weight, I am putting it on and on with the stress! It seems our house is overpriced and prices are falling some more so we are very worried! Absolutely no interest at all whatsoever and it is looking so beautiful at the moment! As we are retiring what we get for the house plays a huge roll on our future!
Oh dear, good luck feelbritish! Do hope some eager buyer appears soon.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you find a buyer soon. Last year ours was on the market for several weeks before we got a buyer. But, although we did not get the asking price, we hadn't expected to and we were content with the price we did get. So hopefully you'll have a buyer soon.
Old May 7th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the sale!
Old May 8th 2014, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the wishes, we are just going to sit it out for the summer, working our jobs and keeping it all ship shape! All it takes is one person to buy it
Old May 12th 2014, 12:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't take this the wrong way, but reduce the house price now! If you know it's over-priced, it will never sell.

Much better to ask a realistic price and get a sale, than to ask for too much and still be there in a year.

I do understand about needing as much money as possible to have a good life here, but if the house is over-priced, it will never sell and you won't have anything.

I had this exact conversation with someone here the other day - her house has been up for sale for 2 years and she refuses to drop the price, even though she knows it's too high. I just don't understand it.
Old May 12th 2014, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the market is going to dictate price and what sellers will pay. About 7 years at height of housing madness I had my house at 235k. I had only one offer of 185k. Stupid me turned it down. And you know what I would have cleared 80k profit...dumb dumb dumb. houses were overpriced at time and so was mine. fast forward to 2012 when sold within 4 days but different market different times. House up for sale at 127k and got offer close to that. I took it like a shot. I made a profit of about 11k. So price it to sell. It's just a house. Millions more on the market.
Old May 12th 2014, 4:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Please don't take this the wrong way, but reduce the house price now! If you know it's over-priced, it will never sell.

Much better to ask a realistic price and get a sale, than to ask for too much and still be there in a year.

I do understand about needing as much money as possible to have a good life here, but if the house is over-priced, it will never sell and you won't have anything.

I had this exact conversation with someone here the other day - her house has been up for sale for 2 years and she refuses to drop the price, even though she knows it's too high. I just don't understand it.
Originally Posted by fulwood
Yes the market is going to dictate price and what sellers will pay. About 7 years at height of housing madness I had my house at 235k. I had only one offer of 185k. Stupid me turned it down. And you know what I would have cleared 80k profit...dumb dumb dumb. houses were overpriced at time and so was mine. fast forward to 2012 when sold within 4 days but different market different times. House up for sale at 127k and got offer close to that. I took it like a shot. I made a profit of about 11k. So price it to sell. It's just a house. Millions more on the market.
Yes, a house is only worth what someone will pay for it. Simple principle but people tend to lose sight of it.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Thanks Sally for your thoughts. This was our idea too and when we had the feedback last week from other realtors we immediately dropped the price and also requested a sign which we did not have. Now we wait and see!
Old May 12th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
Fulwood, we are nervous also about low ball offers but we have spoken to quite a few people who have said that often the first offer is the best offer! We are not desperate though but once you make your mind up to go you just want to get on with it!
Old May 12th 2014, 6:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Fulwood, we are nervous also about low ball offers but we have spoken to quite a few people who have said that often the first offer is the best offer! We are not desperate though but once you make your mind up to go you just want to get on with it!
We put our house up for less than the realtor said it was worth, and then we got an offer a bit lower than that on the first day. We pushed back and they added a few thousand but they were at their limit. They seemed like nice people, so we said yes, but further viewings took place while they were having surveys done.

20 people came through - not one offer!

Luckily the surveys were fine and the buyers went ahead. Now that we look back on it, I think 'could we have got $20,000 more?' I have no idea, but I know that we're happy here and I'm glad we didn't hang around.

As an aside, the buyers are coming to visit Yorkshire and Cumbria next week and they're staying with us for the evening! How odd is that?
Old May 12th 2014, 6:48 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I've always put my house on the market with the assumption that I'll be accepting an offer below the asking price. Usually I'll go with up to 10% below.
My experience is that it doesn't pay to hold out for the highest price you think you can get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.