Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:42 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Originally Posted by r0briley
Hi Erin,
I am in a similar situation to you. 52 and now a single parent to a 12 year old. My American husband passed away last month. All my family are still in England and we have no-one here. We are planning on moving back in August. Yes it is scary but exciting. One thing I appreciate about England is the fact that they tend to hire based on experience not qualifications (which seems to be the thing here in the USA.) As I sit here in my small New England town huddled next to the woodstove in April! I look forward to endless rainy days and above freezing temperatures-I have had enough snow to last a lifetime. Remain hopeful and keep moving forward with your plans-Good luck.
Sorry to hear about your husband. Wishing you all the best with your move.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

I've passed 50 here too.
My advice Just Do it! I was a complete nervous wreck during the move and we are doing fine. I was offered an NHS job in just a few weeks after arriving (starting took longer with BDS checks) Older kids/adults doing well, Dh settling and life is good.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I am also in my 50's (late) and moving back as soon as we sell our house after 12 years in Canada. I will also be looking for a job, albeit part time and as we are moving to an area with high unemployment except in season I also worry a bit but I am sure it will work out.

You are lucky to have such a good support network in your family. Can you not stay with daughter initially? Also check some other alternatives - on a couple of other forums there are "house sitting" and then that article on renting tips.

Also if you go over in November or later you could probably pick up a holiday rental real cheap for 6 months. I have thought about doing this.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi feelbritish,
No i cannot stay with my daughter as she lives with three other girls so no room, besides i am quite looking forward to living in my own little place.

I have actually looked at 6 month rentals and would love to do that would be perfect, i have even contacted a few places like Holiday Lettings but have had no luck and they seem to want to charge you by the day and are very expensive, Right Move does have short term lets though and i do think that might be the way to go till i have sorted things out.

It is still scary though but you never know how things will turn out if you don't try right?

My daughter gave me a little sign while i was there at Xmas that says:
You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream, i wake up to that every morning it is my inspiration.
Thanks again all you have know idea how much your support is helping me.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 7:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

WhoFan found a place to live on something like these and some allow pets.
http://www.spareroom.co.uk/?&aff=125...FanjwgodSZoAsQ

https://www.flatmaterooms.co.uk/?gcl...FQnpwgodQikAGw

http://www.houseshare.com/
It can be a short term solution till you know where you want to be and settle down.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

Originally Posted by erin0259
Hi feelbritish,
No i cannot stay with my daughter as she lives with three other girls so no room, besides i am quite looking forward to living in my own little place.

I have actually looked at 6 month rentals and would love to do that would be perfect, i have even contacted a few places like Holiday Lettings but have had no luck and they seem to want to charge you by the day and are very expensive, Right Move does have short term lets though and i do think that might be the way to go till i have sorted things out.

It is still scary though but you never know how things will turn out if you don't try right?

My daughter gave me a little sign while i was there at Xmas that says:
You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream, i wake up to that every morning it is my inspiration.
Thanks again all you have know idea how much your support is helping me.
Hi I have a holiday let in the UK which would be too big for you. However I am a member of Laymyhat forum. They are a great,kind, bunch of holiday let/longer let owners. I am sure if you were to join and post on there someone would be able to offer you a property

Good luck
Maggie Pie
Old Apr 7th 2014, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 50 this year and we're (wife and two small kids) moving back either in the Autumn of this year or worst case Spring next year. It's very daunting thinking about restarting everything at my age, but like you can see, there are many others on this forum with even more 'experience.'

And I totally agree with other posters... thinking about still being here in my 60's and 70's and beyond is not an option. I want to be there as my parents get more elderly and be a support for them, plus I want my kids to benefit from being close to their UK grandparents and cousins. We have no family support here at all (my wife's family aren't 'family-type' people and we only see them three or four times a year. My advice is to plan it out and go home and don't look back!! Good luck to you!!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

maggiepie, brissybee has posted about a short term rental for july. it's for 3 people is your place too big? I referred them to forum you mentioned lay my hat which I have bookmarked as well.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Englishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmaple has a reputation beyond repute

Erin I'm moving back to the UK next week and I'm 50. I found a room on spareroom.co.uk - and I had quite a few offers when I posted my profile there.

I won't have work when I get back but I have a little bit of savings which I hope will tide me over until I get work.

I found the encouragement I got on this forum so helpful. And making decisions got easier as time went along - my heart was more settled.

I don't know how things will turn out but I'm trusting that they will.

So good luck and don't think anything is impossible - all we have to do is to take small steps towards it. When I first started, I didn't think it would be possible for me at all but once you actually start planning and taking steps, it gets easier.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

"Thank You EnglishMaple"
You have no idea how much better i feel knowing i am not alone it certainly has made me feel i can do this, and i know i will be alot happier poorer but happy lol.

A few people on here have told me about Spareroom.com i think my daughter found her flat that way, i do have a small very well behaved dog he is 10 and there is no way i am leaving without him, so that might be my only hurdle, you sound like me little savings no job to go back too, i think we will be ok though, it's hard when you are doing it alone without a spouse, but surprised how many on here are in the same boat, we will have to all stay in touch and let each other know how we are doing i would like that, again "Thank You" and i wish you all the very best too, please let me know how things work out for you take care and good luck
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

Originally Posted by fulwood
maggiepie, brissybee has posted about a short term rental for july. it's for 3 people is your place too big? I referred them to forum you mentioned lay my hat which I have bookmarked as well.
Hi, yes it is too big (sleeps 8) and already let for July. It gets booked up more in advance as larger groups of people have to organise themselves more in advance. At the moment we are free 2 weeks in September and all of October. I hope they find somewhere on laymyhat though. Sorry I can't be of help on this one. I will read their post too.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I came back aged 63 and retired aged 64 - to a part of the country that I had not even visited. It worked out OK. NHS (Scottish style|) was one reason. The climate was not. When my lottery ticket comes up I shall buy a winter des res on the banks of the Bosphorus near my Janissary pals.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

50 is just a chicken you have the rest of your lives ahead of you. Time to get settled make new friends watch your parents grow old and just love the country. I am 70 and although I am stuck here for a while longer if I ever get the chance to go home I will. Never to old.

If you love the country you are in then stay but if your really want to go home dont delay it. I kept putting it off and I am very sorry I did.....
Old Apr 12th 2014, 8:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I came back at age 50 and slotted back in as though I had never been away.

I was having drinks with a friend last night and we were bemoaning how old we feel at 51. But we both remembered feeling depressed about hitting 40, and how we felt ancient then. And we reminded each other that we'd now give anything to be 40! So when you're 70, 50 will seem very young.

With the holiday lets, I would say keep asking. You only need one person to say yes, and there's always someone who will. We wanted a place for 6 weeks and we needed to be able to have our cats with us - plus we needed good Internet. Most places said no to the long stay and the cats, but one lady said yes, and what's more, she upgraded her internet speeds just for us and discounted the price because we were staying so long. The house was just what we needed on our return and I'm forever grateful to her, but she said 'yes' just as I was about to give up.

Good luck with your move - it sounds like exactly the right thing to do and, believe it or not, things will all sort themselves out. I'm at my 2-year anniversary now, and all the stress and worry seems a long, long time ago.
Old Apr 14th 2014, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am another in this age group and I plan to return within 3-4 months. Scared but honestly can't wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.