Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO THE U

Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Deleted.

Last edited by windsong; Apr 18th 2014 at 1:08 am. Reason: Deleted
Old Apr 19th 2014, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEED ADVICE FROM PEOPLE OVER 50 WHO HAVE MOVED BACK OR PLANNING TO MOVE BACK TO T

Care work for those with no CQSW pays minimum wage.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Erin, I would absolutely echo what the moderators have been saying, go to the thread on Rovers Return called Over 40s Moving Back and Catching up....

(someone included the link earlier).

This thread has been going for ages and is all about the older age group, was originally called Over 50s or maybe even over 60s but the title was changed so younger people felt welcome as well...

however the emphasis is still on older people, often widows or widowers, or separated/divorced, and mostly with grown children....almost all very scared about making such a big move later in life.

The "catching up" part is because those of us who have been there a long time feel like friends and sometimes just chit-chat a little, so depending on what has been happening a page here and there might seem of little substance. But all the while we are waiting for new people just like you to come along!

The help and support on this thread has been invaluable, and if you scroll back a while you will see some incredible stories there, as the posts go step-by-step through all the thought and emotion processes you are going through, as people begin by dreaming, then start gradually putting the plan into action, start packing, and soon....(often after many ups and downs of emotion) are on that plane!

Other members who frequently post on the thread are still in the prep stages, like you...

The thread was started by trottytrue who has already answered you in this thread of yours (saying she kept putting off the move back, and regrets it).

Some other people may be like me and mostly look at that Over 40s thread, rarely visiting others, in which case they would miss your posts altogether.

Last edited by between two worlds; Apr 25th 2014 at 5:02 pm. Reason: added something
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:15 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Erin, I would absolutely echo what the moderators have been saying, go to the thread on Rovers Return called Over 40s Moving Back and Catching up....

(someone included the link earlier).

This thread has been going for ages and is all about the older age group, was originally called Over 50s or maybe even over 60s but the title was changed so younger people felt welcome as well...

however the emphasis is still on older people, often widows or widowers, or separated/divorced, and mostly with grown children....almost all very scared about making such a big move later in life.

The "catching up" part is because those of us who have been there a long time feel like friends and sometimes just chit-chat a little, so depending on what has been happening a page here and there might seem of little substance. But all the while we are waiting for new people just like you to come along!

The help and support on this thread has been invaluable, and if you scroll back a while you will see some incredible stories there, as the posts go step-by-step through all the thought and emotion processes you are going through, as people begin by dreaming, then start gradually putting the plan into action, start packing, and soon....(often after many ups and downs of emotion) are on that plane!

Other members who frequently post on the thread are still in the prep stages, like you...

The thread was started by trottytrue who has already answered you in this thread of yours (saying she kept putting off the move back, and regrets it).

Some other people may be like me and mostly look at that Over 40s thread, rarely visiting others, in which case they would miss your posts altogether.
I don't post on the over forties thread, because when I look at it, it reads like a private conversation between a group of friends, and I came too late to the conversation to catch up.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't advise anyone who is new to the forum to post there.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that too Editha, they all seem to know each other pretty well, i did not really see much info on there that would help me as i am new here, but it was interesting having a look anyway, and so happy for everyone who has returned home.
Thanks
Old Apr 25th 2014, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, Editha and Erin--that's just what we've wanted to avoid--yes there are old friends having a conversation, but ALSO and indeed ESPECIALLY new people like you are always welcome-- and needed! The conversation between friends is happening to keep the thread alive while we wait to welcome more newcomers like you who are in the throes of moving back.

The thread was founded for people in exactly your position. For people dreaming about/thinking about/hoping to be "Moving Back."

I guess it's a sort of vicious circle. We chat while waiting for newcomers to join with their ongoing sagas--but newcomers don't join because all they see us doing is chatting.....!

Hmmm...what to do.....?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

erin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond reputeerin0259 has a reputation beyond repute

It's fine between two worlds, honestly BE has been such a lifesaver for me, before i found this forum i felt so alone and confused, it has helped me so much on my decision about returning back to the UK, just knowing how many people are in the same situation has brought me alot of comfort, everyone has been so lovely and helpful but most of all supportive, i now know when i am feeling lonely and homesick where to go, i am now happier and more confident about my future, so "Thanks Again" to everyone, we are British proud and strong
Old Apr 26th 2014, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Editha and erin0259........You dont have to post on the Over 40's forum but you would be very welcome the only reason it seems like a small group having a conversation is because we lack new blood so we really need people like you to join us. Many moons ago we were a much larger group but fortunately many of those who use to post moved back to the UK and got busy with life we have a a few kind souls who have come back and keep us informed on the good and bad of going home. We love that.

If you do join us you will find people only to willing to give you hints and ideas and let you know what they think so dont feel you are intruding on anything its like I said our numbers have dwindled a few of us try to keep it going for people like you who may need some help. I know that you can get information on many of the forums and the people are always helpful be we are the old fuddy duddies.....

Just wanted you both to know........
Old Apr 26th 2014, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Exactly...trotty said just what I was trying to say!
Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:22 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a long time over 40's subscriber and it was a great help to me. I think part of the problem is that the thread was moved (not that i want to raise that discussion again) to the Rovers Return and is not necessarily seen as a Q&A, discussion thread anymore. That really is too bad.

When this thread was posted in the main Moving Back section, I thought it was a good opportunity to get the "Over --'s" discussion going again, but then this thread was moved to the The Rovers Return. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will reach as many potential posters as The Rovers is seen as a more off topic area. Hopefully my thoughts are wrong and this thread will become the new moving back thread for those facing moving back at "a certain age"
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to read these comments about the Over 40...thread. I've had a nosey a few times and all the posters seem lovely. I've been a bit hesitant to join in, probably the main reason is that I'm not British (I'm Australian) and thought that people might quite rightly think 'what the hell is she doing here?!'.

As my nickname suggests, I'm married to a lovely Liverpool lad and he'll be returning home, while I'll be emigrating, to Liverpool in the next year or so. Scouse is 65 and hasn't lived in Liverpool since 1990, although there have been visits home. I'm 56 and have only ever lived in Australia. I often think of daft, little things that I'm not sure of and that aren't really important enough to post in the main section. But seeing as you all sound so lovely and welcoming, next time I have a daft thought I'll post it in the Over 40 thread. That didn't sound right, but you know what I mean
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's great to read these comments about the Over 40...thread. I've had a nosey a few times and all the posters seem lovely. I've been a bit hesitant to join in, probably the main reason is that I'm not British (I'm Australian) and thought that people might quite rightly think 'what the hell is she doing here?!'.
Yes, do come join us - we won't hold being Australian against you
Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Thanks PHS - you'll be all right with your minority group participation numbers now I promise to wear deodorant and not brag about my suntan
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks PHS - you'll be all right with your minority group participation numbers now I promise to wear deodorant and not brag about my suntan
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:41 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
+ 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.