British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Moving to Romania...should I get my UK driving license before I leave? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/moving-romania-should-i-get-my-uk-driving-license-before-i-leave-905886/)

Pisicuta Nov 15th 2017 5:09 pm

Moving to Romania...should I get my UK driving license before I leave?

Sorry everyone I've not looked into this so I'm in complete ignorance and would love if someone could explain to me!
Currently at the end of learning to drive and was going to book practical test soon. I'm moving to Romania in 3 months so thought it would be good to get licence before then- However will getting a UK licence be pretty much useless and should I maybe just continue learning over there? Seeing as there seems to be issues? Sorry if this is a really stupid question! Newbie here! Thanks all

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2017 5:14 pm

Re: DVLA Residency Rule (EEC Directive 1997)

Originally Posted by Pisicuta (Post 12382857)
Sorry everyone I've not looked into this so I'm in complete ignorance and would love if someone could explain to me!
Currently at the end of learning to drive and was going to book practical test soon. I'm moving to Romania in 3 months so thought it would be good to get licence before then- However will getting a UK licence be pretty much useless and should I maybe just continue learning over there? Seeing as there seems to be issues? Sorry if this is a really stupid question! Newbie here! Thanks all

Rather than hijack an existing thread...I will move the posts into a new thread.

Will having a UK DL allow you easy access to a Romanian DL? Will you be returning to live in the UK at some point? If yes then I would get your UK licence.

MidAtlantic Nov 15th 2017 5:19 pm

Re: Moving to Romania...should I get my UK driving license before I leave?

Originally Posted by Pisicuta (Post 12382857)

From this it looks like a UK licence can be exchanged for a Romanian one.

Driving licence renewal and exchange - Romania

Jerseygirl Nov 15th 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Moving to Romania...should I get my UK driving license before I leave?

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12382874)
From this it looks like a UK licence can be exchanged for a Romanian one.

Driving licence renewal and exchange - Romania

Thank you.

If you have to hand over your UK DL...take a couple of copies of it and keep a note of the number. Keep it in a safe place...if you return to live in the UK the DVLA will issue a replacement DL.