moving home after 36 years

Old Mar 15th 2015, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

maddie1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving home after 36 years

Hi, I have posted on the forum a couple of times re moving home in my fifties.
I have received a couple of answers, but would now like to ask for help and insight to a open-ended question.
I am at a point of having to make a choice weather to stay in Canada or come home.
I live and worked in Montreal as a child, youth, and family worker. In schools ,detention centers , child protected services . I am not sure if my schooling from here will apply there. I have been here for 36 years and know I do not want to stay in Montreal. I have considered Toronto but it is very expensive to live and I do not know anyone so it would still be starting over with no job and no place to live.
I am originally from Hull England but left when I was 16 . I’m ready to get back to my routes. Hull is where my family is. I am almost positive I do not want to settle in the north.
can anyone give me insight on moving further south. I have no contacts; I will be looking for a job in my field probably and looking for a place to live. I am thinking of leaving all my belongings here in storage until I am settled, then have it shipped over as I would be looking at about $8000 to ship plus storage there.
I can support myself for about 3 months or more depending on living expenses in the south. I am worried that is not enough time to find a job and a nice, safe place to live.
I would really appreciate any info
Old Mar 16th 2015, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving home after 36 years

Originally Posted by maddie1959
I have received a couple of answers, but would now like to ask for help and insight to a open-ended question.
I am at a point of having to make a choice weather to stay in Canada or come home.
I live and worked in Montreal as a child, youth, and family worker. In schools ,detention centers , child protected services . I am not sure if my schooling from here will apply there. I have been here for 36 years and know I do not want to stay in Montreal. I have considered Toronto but it is very expensive to live and I do not know anyone so it would still be starting over with no job and no place to live.
I am originally from Hull England but left when I was 16 . I’m ready to get back to my routes. Hull is where my family is. I am almost positive I do not want to settle in the north.
can anyone give me insight on moving further south. I have no contacts; I will be looking for a job in my field probably and looking for a place to live. I am thinking of leaving all my belongings here in storage until I am settled, then have it shipped over as I would be looking at about $8000 to ship plus storage there.
I can support myself for about 3 months or more depending on living expenses in the south. I am worried that is not enough time to find a job and a nice, safe place to live.
Hi Maddie: Here are a few things to consider. Have you visited the UK since leaving at the age of 16? If not, be prepared for culture shock: it is not the same England you left all those years ago. I know - it probably seems obvious, but it is still worth considering especially if you are Canadianised and thinking of the UK in romantic terms only. Regarding shipping belongings: unless they are sentimental items, I would sell as much as possible and only bring what you really can't live without. You can replace most, if not all, items here quite easily. Bed sizes vary, and most US sheets won't fit UK beds. Unless you plan to visit really cold places, you won't need your heavy winter items. Regarding work: I have no idea if your job is transferrable. Others can answer this better than I can. Places to live down south: South west region (Somerset/Devon/Cornwall) is warmest, but also wet. Suffolk is drier. Rentals in the south are higher than in the north. Why not put your questions to the other thread on this site, Over 40s moving back and catching up: http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...ing-up-701116/

Most who post on that site have lots of information they can share with you, and you will get lots of help and advice there.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 2:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maddie1959
3 months really doesn't seem very long, given that the average job search in most countries is 6 months and you have been away so long.

I would also be cautious about moving to a new area, only because the move home will be a culture shock, and being in a brand new area could make that worse. I lived in Hull 30 years ago and I understand why you wouldn't want to go back (it hasn't changed much!) but I have definitely benefitted from moving back near my friends and family. I chose a nicer area than the one I grew up in, but it's still close to everyone I know. Couldn't you go to the coast, or Beverly, or somewhere else nice but within easy reach?

I guess my question, having read your post, is why come back? You mentioned that it's time to decide, but you didn't say you have a burning desire to be back here. Is it because you have to move from where you are?

Don't mean to be nosey - just want to be able to help.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys ,
I didn't realize anyone had replayed until now

Why am I moving back after so many years.several reasons really .

I am single no children , starting to miss connections to family .
I am in Montreal ,unless you speak French perfectly it is becoming very difficult to work .
Toronto is expensive to live unless you have great job ,and my field ( child youth family services worker) are cutting service and or looking for a masters.

WINTER can't take it anymore .winter is spent work home ,home work .its not a life .

I am planning on coming home end of june ,but I have decided to put my stuff in storage here for a few months as I am worried about the employment opportunities .some have said my education here will be a Comparability issue .so I may be relying only on 25 years plus experience.

on that note if anyone know where to get a Statement of Comparability re education I would be greatfull for all info .

I am honestly not sure I am making the right decision i'm scared , but I do know I am ready for a big change .
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys ,
I didn't realize anyone had replayed until now

Why am I moving back after so many years.several reasons really .

I am single no children , starting to miss connections to family .
I am in Montreal ,unless you speak French perfectly it is becoming very difficult to work .
Toronto is expensive to live unless you have great job ,and my field ( child youth family services worker) are cutting service and or looking for a masters.

WINTER can't take it anymore .winter is spent work home ,home work .its not a life .

I am planning on coming home end of june ,but I have decided to put my stuff in storage here for a few months as I am worried about the employment opportunities .some have said my education here will be a Comparability issue .so I may be relying only on 25 years plus experience.

on that note if anyone know where to get a Statement of Comparability re education I would be greatfull for all info .

I am honestly not sure I am making the right decision i'm scared , but I do know I am ready for a big change .
maddie1959 is online now Add to maddie1959's Reputation Report Post
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

I think in your heart of hearts you have already decided, I am aware of the culture change, but heck here in Canada its becoming the same anyway, the winters are killing me and that is a biggy, I get sick of all that snow, sick of it, Im aware ill be sick of the rain soon but as Im getting older Im realising Im missing family, as much as I never bothered with them much before I know I miss them and want to be part of their lives, I am married but things have not been going good and I have been working up to telling hubby I want a divorce, I tried to talk to him about it last september but he stopped me and talked me out of it well things are coming to a head again and in the next few weeks thats it, whether he likes it or not and I have decided I am moving back to UK which has been a complete surprise as for the last 3 years I had decided Id move to annapolis valley but something hit me and now its UK for sure

I know its going to be hard, I think you do too, but I feel if I dont do it then I will regret it, its always going to be cheaper to move back to canada, house prices are way cheaper, if you have citizenship I wouldnt hesitate, you are feeling the need and draw to move back, do it

I cannot help with the area you want to move to, Ive been looking at jobs past year where I want to move to and while there arent tons there are some, I know I will get work within 6 months I hope, I do still have a few contacts at work, left on good terms from all my jobs I had growing up and I am willing and able to do anything to get buy(well almost anything!)

If I were you Id start looking for a job now, https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/regi...uk%2fhome.aspx

I know youre scared, I am too, but from reading your post and the fact you even use the phrase, returning home, speaks volumes
Old Apr 29th 2015, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Isismom
I think in your heart of hearts you have already decided, I am aware of the culture change, but heck here in Canada its becoming the same anyway, the winters are killing me and that is a biggy, I get sick of all that snow, sick of it, Im aware ill be sick of the rain soon but as Im getting older Im realising Im missing family, as much as I never bothered with them much before I know I miss them and want to be part of their lives, I am married but things have not been going good and I have been working up to telling hubby I want a divorce, I tried to talk to him about it last september but he stopped me and talked me out of it well things are coming to a head again and in the next few weeks thats it, whether he likes it or not and I have decided I am moving back to UK which has been a complete surprise as for the last 3 years I had decided Id move to annapolis valley but something hit me and now its UK for sure

I know its going to be hard, I think you do too, but I feel if I dont do it then I will regret it, its always going to be cheaper to move back to canada, house prices are way cheaper, if you have citizenship I wouldnt hesitate, you are feeling the need and draw to move back, do it

I cannot help with the area you want to move to, Ive been looking at jobs past year where I want to move to and while there arent tons there are some, I know I will get work within 6 months I hope, I do still have a few contacts at work, left on good terms from all my jobs I had growing up and I am willing and able to do anything to get buy(well almost anything!)

If I were you Id start looking for a job now, https://jobsearch.direct.gov.uk/regi...uk%2fhome.aspx

I know youre scared, I am too, but from reading your post and the fact you even use the phrase, returning home, speaks volumes
Thank for sharing your thoughts ,feeling it does help . I wish you well in your sturgell re; decisions all your contacts will work out .
Hopefully this this next year we will both have found a sense of belonging and much needed joy .
Old May 10th 2015, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Hello Maddie,
Well, if you came to BC there would be a few positive changes. Warmish winters, no language barriers, laid back attitude, no culture shock...and it really is so beautiful. The family will probabaly come to you!
Old May 10th 2015, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: moving home after 36 years

Originally Posted by Spritzer
Hello Maddie,
Well, if you came to BC there would be a few positive changes. Warmish winters, no language barriers, laid back attitude, no culture shock...and it really is so beautiful. The family will probabaly come to you!
Hi I have thought of it a few times,wondering if that would be a wise choice .
I went to Vancouver about 20 years ago for three weeks , it rained every day
and to be honest I found the people I met to be very distant, except victoria which I kinda liked .
I actually thought if England does not work out I would come back to Canada, and give it another try , but is it not very expensive to live there also, or am I listening to too much gossip from negative people?

oh how I wish I had a crystal ball, I really am not sure what to do , but have my appartment in six weeks.
I haven't even bought a ticket yet
Old May 10th 2015, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Hello again. We live on the outskirts in suburbia and we are retired. I must say that the Canadians here are very private...I found the lovely as soon as you go inland! Weird to me as a Brit who chats to anyone...I get stares as if I'm mad!!

Anyway, I do hope you find your way out of this dilemma. I'm sure it will work out, but verifying your qualifications is a must I think.
Old May 12th 2015, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Help I have been researching all day on how I can travel with my cat from montreal to uk ,all airlines are saying my cat has to go in cargo when flying to Uk ,heartbreaking.

thinking I could fly to Amsterdam as thats allowed, then find another way to get to Uk but can't find out if Im able to do that when going to another counrty .
Looked into QE2 $4000 ,looked at cargo ships but cant bring cat HELPPPPPPP
Old May 12th 2015, 1:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there from someone who emigrated to New Zealand from the UK and brought our two cats with us.

Your lovely pusscat will be fine in the cargo hold. Honestly. I mean that. I wouldn't write that if it were not so.

The flight times from the UK to NZ are usually one 9/10 hour stint and then a 12/13 hour stint. Your pusscat would not be looking at anything like that at all.

Both our pusscats did this and arrived safe , sound, unfazed and healthy on NZ soil . I rather suspect that as with all cats, it was sleep time and beneath them to notice the transit.

They're not hanging off the bottom of the plane or packed in with the luggage in the freezing cold. It is temperature controlled just like for passengers.

Crikey. Some people even send their horses this way.