British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Moving Dog to UK from Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/moving-dog-uk-canada-902562/)

MP_Sheriff Aug 28th 2017 2:42 am

Moving Dog to UK from Canada

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone can let me know how easy it is to relocate my 11 year old dog back to the UK from Canada without using an agent? I called my vet in Canada who has never heard of a pet passport for travel back to the UK but did say they can provide me with a record of his inoculations which she thinks should be enough. My question is, is this enough? The last thing I can bear is him being in quarantine because I don't think he would cope.

I've looked through the countless threads discussing pets being returned to the UK however I couldn't find anything which answered my query but i'll be honest I'm not the best when it comes to the internet! If I've missed the thread please feel free to redirect me.

Thank you in advance.

jellybean_17 Sep 4th 2017 4:08 am

Re: Moving Dog to UK from Canada

Hi, we went from the UK to Canada and then back to the UK with our dog (2016 moved back). The airlines will only accept your dog through an agent unfortunately, so although the expense is there you also get their knowledge to make sure everything goes smoothly. The agent we used was amazing, she even attended the vet appointment with me to make sure all paperwork was perfect.
Your dog will need a fit to fly certificate, this has a time frame on it so you need to time the appointment close enough to the flight. Also a de-worming treatment has to be given and recorded. There was nothing else treatment wise but our dog has a pet passport, an agent will be able to advise on this further though. You will also need an acceptable crate, again this has to meet specific requirements otherwise the airline can refuse your dog. Some airports won't allow you to fly over a weekend or bank holiday too, something to bear in mind before you book any flights. Hope that helps and good luck with the move :)

Lorry1 Sep 6th 2017 11:34 am

Re: Moving Dog to UK from Canada

Hi,

Where in Canada are you?
We moved our dog from Canada to UK in 2013, so not sure how up to date this advice is but -

We were lucky our vet had done several lots of paperwork for pets leaving Canada.
A vet can provide you with all immunisation documents for the trip.

The dog needs to have rabies jab within a certain time of flying.
They also have to be dewormed within 3 days of travel
They have to be microchipped
You have to get exact measurement for a dog crate
Call Air Canada (or whoever you're using) for all info about flight.
A government approved vet (food inspection agent - I know!) has to sign your Dog off within 24 hours? of flight.

Check the Canada.ca website for information. Its on the Canadian food inspection agency part.

Arranging our pet was the most stressful part of the move. Good luck :thumbup::lol: