Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Is moving back to the UK the right move.

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:30 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is moving back to the UK the right move.

I've been refered to a consultant many times on the NHS (I'm a hypochondriac). Wait times have never been long, average 1 month. If the doctor could see I was very anxious he'd say 'I'll put you down as urgent.'
An eye accident would be treated immediately on the NHS too. Accidents will always be seen quicker than long term conditions.

Another plus of the UK as far as leisure time is concerned is that museums are free. Except for a brief period of a few years a while ago, they have been for as long as I remember. Great value especially if you are near London, you've got The British Museum, Victoria & Albert, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, London Transport Museum, Museum of London etc etc. I know in most countries you have to pay to get in to museums (US you certainly do. I think France recently abolished charges to museums though).
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I've been refered to a consultant many times on the NHS (I'm a hypochondriac). Wait times have never been long, average 1 month. If the doctor could see I was very anxious he'd say 'I'll put you down as urgent.'
An eye accident would be treated immediately on the NHS too. Accidents will always be seen quicker than long term conditions.

Another plus of the UK as far as leisure time is concerned is that museums are free. Except for a brief period of a few years a while ago, they have been for as long as I remember. Great value especially if you are near London, you've got The British Museum, Victoria & Albert, Natural History Museum, Science Museum, London Transport Museum, Museum of London etc etc. I know in most countries you have to pay to get in to museums (US you certainly do. I think France recently abolished charges to museums though).
I certainly second the point re: museums etc. On my last trip I spent a few days in London and visited the National Gallery, V & A and British Museum... all free. The Vancouver Museum of Art has a free day but most have charges. It is so important that people of all income levels have access to culture and art.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:26 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
good catering for veggies eg foods marked on menues with a V symbol
I loved your whole post but this struck home for me because my husband and I are vegetarian. It's not just that they mark the menus with a 'v' - it's that they also have the imagination to create tasty vegetarian dishes and usually have several of them. Here, we're lucky if there's one choice on the menu and half the time it's some variation on 'a plate of vegetables.'

no giant carpenter ants
Hallelujah! We spend a fortune fending these damn things off. Hate!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Come on Sally be fair, you can usually get a cheese sandwich or a salad !!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

jebe_noyan is an unknown quantity at this point

And LO,
Half way up the slope, Mehed Izpinning, turned to his followers and gestured towards yonder ridge."Beyond that ridge, lays all that we seek.For that is the promised land,There, all is perfect, all is serene, paradise found."A murmur of approval could be heard to emanate from his tribal followers, the "Forumzi".A loud voice bellowed from the back of the throng, "I hope its as good as you say, because that last place was bad,real bad.I hope this new place. when we get there, wont have any immigrants , or bad weather, because i got fed up of buying proper clothes". Mehed's visage changed. He was accustomed to dealing with the views of his people, for the Forumzi never did hold back from expressing them !
"Let me put it like this", he said ,loud, yet calm."Some of you, may find some things, um, not so perfect, for we are not created equal.But is that not the challenge ? For if one place was ultimately the icon of perfection, the whole of humanity would move there.What sets us aside, is that we have tried to search for a better existence, for hope springs......you out of the prison of your previous ....err.....being",.God that was lame he thought.
And so, they journeyed on.For time was short.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:13 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jebe_noyan
And LO,
Half way up the slope, Mehed Izpinning, turned to his followers and gestured towards yonder ridge."Beyond that ridge, lays all that we seek.For that is the promised land,There, all is perfect, all is serene, paradise found."A murmur of approval could be heard to emanate from his tribal followers, the "Forumzi".A loud voice bellowed from the back of the throng, "I hope its as good as you say, because that last place was bad,real bad.I hope this new place. when we get there, wont have any immigrants , or bad weather, because i got fed up of buying proper clothes". Mehed's visage changed. He was accustomed to dealing with the views of his people, for the Forumzi never did hold back from expressing them !
"Let me put it like this", he said ,loud, yet calm."Some of you, may find some things, um, not so perfect, for we are not created equal.But is that not the challenge ? For if one place was ultimately the icon of perfection, the whole of humanity would move there.What sets us aside, is that we have tried to search for a better existence, for hope springs......you out of the prison of your previous ....err.....being",.God that was lame he thought.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
lol ... I think this poster is a bit lost perhaps ?
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
lol ... I think this poster is a bit lost perhaps ?

Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

jebe_noyan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi .....and LO....such is life
Are we all not lost ? LOL...No, actually, twas my way of commenting on what happened earlier in the thread when it degenerated a tad into squables and commenticide.Thought id try and inject a bit of humourish point making.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Brilliant!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Hi .....and LO....such is life
Are we all not lost ? LOL...No, actually, twas my way of commenting on what happened earlier in the thread when it degenerated a tad into squables and commenticide.Thought id try and inject a bit of humourish point making.
Oh... it has cheered me up...

It sounds like it is written in pixie language!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

And LO,
Very clever.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:31 am

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

And LO,
Singular 'forumza' (F)?
Singular 'forumzo' (M)?
Plural 'forumzi' (the lot of us?)

Love it!
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:09 pm
Banned

stevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nicestevebenaulim is just really nice

Originally Posted by anishq
Singular 'forumza' (F)?
Singular 'forumzo' (M)?
Plural 'forumzi' (the lot of us?)

Love it!
great.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

And LO,
Brilliant JN,
Many a true word is spoken in jest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.