Looking for information

Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for information

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Good. And so, now, does LoveFortheUK.
I've just put an advert in the local paper, so my neighbours will know too
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've just put an advert in the local paper, so my neighbours will know too. ....
You should also post it on the internet, then the whole world will have access to the information.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You should also post it on the internet, then the whole world will have access to the information.
Never thought of that! You come up with the best ideas Pulaski
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

You know, it saddens me to think a government would impose such barriers to reside in the UK.
I understand the British citizens want control of its borders (hence the Brexit vote) so do we here in the US.

Let's put this into perspective.
Anybody can come from the UK to the US and be welcomed with open arms but, US citizens wanting to live in the UK can't just because they weren't born there.

Am I overdramatizing this?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Really?! I can't just go and live in the US, can I?!
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
..... Let's put this into perspective.
Anybody can come from the UK to the US and be welcomed with open arms ....
Oh no they can't, not even close!

The rules on visas in the UK and the US are very similar with one notable area (working holiday visas for those upto 30 years old) where the UK is easier, and the US is a little more accommodating for family members, but generally speaking visas for both the US and UK are very difficult to get.
Originally Posted by michali
Really?! I can't just go and live in the US, can I?!
Americans are the worst people to ask about how to immigrate into the US, likewise British citizens are the worst people to ask how to immigrate into the UK. The same pattern is likely true of every country.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 9th 2016 at 10:01 am.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The fist thing is to see if you are eligible for a visa. If not, then you need to decide if you are prepared to do what it takes to become eligible and this may take time and effort.

For questions on what it is like to live in the UK, you are probably on as good a place as any. Most of us are either living in the UK or are Brits who now live somewhere else.

However, you would also need to understand that there would not be a single answer, as first, all of our lives are different and so we have different perspectives. But also, although the UK is a relatively small island, it is very diverse and different in what it offers as life experience. For someone living in London, their life will be pretty different to someone living in a tiny rural village in Scotland such as myself. It is the same as asking what it is like to live in the USA and getting answers from someone living in central LA and another who lives in rural Alasker.

The plus is that this diversity offers us all a place to find a life that suits us.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

You know, it saddens me to think a government would impose such barriers to reside in the UK.
I understand the British citizens want control of its borders (hence the Brexit vote) so do we here in the US.

Let's put this into perspective.
Anybody can come from the UK to the US and be welcomed with open arms but, US citizens wanting to live in the UK can't just because they weren't born there.

Am I overdramatizing this?
This HAS to be a windup, doesn't it??

Imagine you're a British citizen, with a US citizen (or born in the US)great-grandma. Which US visa would you qualify for/be granted?

ETA: http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...ficult-860865/

Last edited by Shirtback; Dec 9th 2016 at 11:25 pm. Reason: Just saying...
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Shirtback
.... Imagine you're a British citizen, with a US citizen (or born in the US)great-grandma. Which US visa would you qualify for/be granted?
Per the OP's post, a more interesting question would be "Imagine you're a British citizen with no US ancestry or relatives, no employer sponsorship, and no capital to invest. Which US visa would you qualify for/be granted?"

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 10th 2016 at 12:01 am.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Per the OP's post, a more interesting question would be "Imagine you're a British citizen with no US ancestry or relatives, no employer sponsorship, and no capital to invest. Which US visa would you qualify for/be granted?"
That too...
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow expats
Sorry I've been away so long.
Both of my parents are ill and I was let go from my job last week.
A day before I was supposed to receive benefits too (don't that happen in the UK?)

Anyway, does anybody know of any LEGITIMATE websites about British culture, British law, living in the UK and working in the UK?
I've probably asked this before but I don't have time to go through my older posts.
Thank you for any help you wish to provide.
A long shot but do you have any recent Irish Ancestry?:

Sorry to hear your parents are both ill and you just lost your job. Were you hoping to find work in the UK? Is there any possibility for you to get another job in the US near your parents perhaps?

As other posters have pointed out, you would need a work permit (tier 2) visa to work in the UK, either for skills shortage jobs sponsored by an employer- see link below-, or a job via an inter company transfer.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2015.pdf
Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by angie_329
A long shot but do you have any recent Irish Ancestry? .....
Or Irish, or Hungarian.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
This HAS to be a windup, doesn't it??
Imagine you're a British citizen, with a US citizen (or born in the US)great-grandma. Which US visa would you qualify for/be granted?
Although the oddest things do happen.
I discovered that my own mother was a US citizen her entire life and she never knew it. She died in 2001. And for the most part she hated Americans and everything American, never knowing she was one

This is because she was born in 1920 and her paternal grandfather was born in New York City around 1875. Under the laws as they were in 1920 that made her a US citizen. Laws changed long long ago in that regard but that's how it was back then. Mind you she would have had a problem proving it, the official records of New York City for that era were destroyed in a fire. And of course no citizenship could be inherited from distaff family back then.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Although the oddest things do happen.
I discovered that my own mother was a US citizen her entire life and she never knew it. She died in 2001. And for the most part she hated Americans and everything American, never knowing she was one

This is because she was born in 1920 and her paternal grandfather was born in New York City around 1875. Under the laws as they were in 1920 that made her a US citizen. Laws changed long long ago in that regard but that's how it was back then. Mind you she would have had a problem proving it, the official records of New York City for that era were destroyed in a fire. And of course no citizenship could be inherited from distaff family back then.
Wow, what a story!
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by holly_1948
..... no citizenship could be inherited from distaff family back then.
I learned a new word today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.