Location, location, location

Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
No, mine isn't advertised yet but it's a similar situation in that the house is broken up into flats. There's an organization selling off some houses that had been used for social housing.

The one you linked to is on a beautiful street. If I ever win the lottery ...
The house next door is also listed and it is painted brilliant turquoise. Hard to miss.
I can't make up my mind.
I visited someone here the other day and they live in a townhouse and I thought, you know this would be big enough but then I also thought I don't want other neighbors living so close. So the solution is a small place with a lot of outdoor space. Now the places you point out are, I'm thinking, I wouldn't be bothered by the close proximity to neighbors.
I like those new condos by the river and the idea of going away and not have to worry. Also, no time is expected for maintenance. Another thought I had is towing a caravan. See I'm all over the place?
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheers
The house next door is also listed and it is painted brilliant turquoise. Hard to miss.
I can't make up my mind.
I visited someone here the other day and they live in a townhouse and I thought, you know this would be big enough but then I also thought I don't want other neighbors living so close. So the solution is a small place with a lot of outdoor space. Now the places you point out are, I'm thinking, I wouldn't be bothered by the close proximity to neighbors.
I like those new condos by the river and the idea of going away and not have to worry. Also, no time is expected for maintenance. Another thought I had is towing a caravan. See I'm all over the place?
Well you can be(all over the place) in a caravan
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

Note that Cheltenham is a much bigger spa town and valuations are around 267,000 there but there are way fewer very high value properties than T-Wells.

I'm not sure I want to be under the "pressure" of living in a very affluent area unless I can come and go from my good value place (in spite of the affluence) and not feel that I am in any way competing or being forced to listen to the patronising views, pretense at reality and travel plans of the well-off day in day out. Well-off being a relative term of course.
I agree with this last paragraph.
I could loose my licence depending on their view of my diabetes. So if I live in the country it has to be on a bus/train route.
Now Scotland seem to be more flexible on a lot of things that England is adamant about so that is out there.

Last edited by cheers; Sep 15th 2011 at 5:50 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Life in rural Oxfordshire:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/gre...ural-rich.html

You get the picture! A hot topic what with the current countryside planning rows anticipating destruction of the Green Belt.

Quote - This was the quiet, uneventful lifestyle that attracts the rich and famous to the country. They may bang on about longing to grow their own veggie patch and breed chickens, but that is at best naivety and often blatantly dishonest. As one new farm-owner and ex-City-gent told me over Pimms, “Oh, we don’t do the farming. We get people in to do that. I read novels.”

I tend to think that Shipton-under-Wychwood was a bit like that, as is Kingham and much of Chipping Norton, which is why I might plump for Cirencester.
ugh i hate those people. posh city folks obliterating the rural culture they claim to strive to be a part of. why can't they bugger off back to the home counties
Old Sep 15th 2011, 6:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I can't make up my mind.
To me it's about the house. I love Victorian terraces and Georgian townhouses because they have so much space - those big room sizes and high ceilings. And the walls are thick enough that it doesn't matter if you have neighbors. I'd personally rather have all that space than be in a small place with no neighbors. I do need a private garden though - but a lot of those older houses have lovely gardens.

I think new build condos and townhouses are horrible - you can hear so much from next door and above/below. Also the room sizes are usually pathetic - in the UK at least.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 15th 2011 at 6:34 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ergyngfeld
ugh i hate those people. posh city folks obliterating the rural culture they claim to strive to be a part of. why can't they bugger off back to the home counties
Me too! We have plenty of them here. I don't understand why they come here because they are attracted by the lifestyle then bring their city ways with them!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

I think new build condos and townhouses are horrible - you can hear so much from next door and above/below. Also the room sizes are usually pathetic - in the UK at least.
Seconded!
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bandrui
Me too! We have plenty of them here. I don't understand why they come here because they are attracted by the lifestyle then bring their city ways with them!
I lived in a suburban rural community, outside San Francisco, and people who visited it from the city loved it and ended up moving there and then wanted to change it. I was on the planning committee and tried to slow down the change. "..bring on the fast foods, shopping centers, traffic"
Old Sep 15th 2011, 10:30 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
What happens to the social housing then?
I think they're selling off these old, impractical houses so they can buy a more suitable building.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I think they're selling off these old, impractical houses so they can buy a more suitable building.
Oh, thanks ...I hope they do ,the UK certainly needs it!
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:44 am
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Oh, thanks ...I hope they do ,the UK certainly needs it!
This was a charity that provided housing for disabled and elderly people and yet had all these completely impractical homes. The estate agent told us that some 86 year-old ladies were living on the top floor of a 4-story Victorian house. They couldn't even get downstairs to go out anymore, but they still really didn't want to leave.

The only thing that worries me is that the houses they are selling are huge and in need of a lot of work. Unless they drop the prices by at least a hundred thousand each - possibly more - I don't see how they can sell them. Which just means more people without homes.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...cord-rate.html
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

This was a charity that provided housing for disabled and elderly people and yet had all these completely impractical homes. The estate agent told us that some 86 year-old ladies were living on the top floor of a 4-story Victorian house. They couldn't even get downstairs to go out anymore, but they still really didn't want to leave.

The only thing that worries me is that the houses they are selling are huge and in need of a lot of work. Unless they drop the prices by at least a hundred thousand each - possibly more - I don't see how they can sell them. Which just means more people without homes.
Very good point.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is posted for the regional public sector job loss stats not the blogger's opinions on them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/pa...tor-job-losses
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Thought you lot might enjoy this website and have kept it on topic by linking to funny British place names but you may be more interested in 'Don't be a Pillock in a Pub' or 'Brit Actors I'd leave my husband for' (Clive Owen had better be on that list ). These links are in the section 'Best Posts on Anglotopia' scroll down, right hand side.

http://www.anglotopia.net/ultimate-l...h-place-names/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.