Location, location, location

Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by windsong
not2old, where can I go to find out the density statistic for various regions of the UK? I would like to live in a quieter area (countryside or suburban, and fewer people) but I would probably have to be within an hour or so of a city for business purposes. Love the city but also like to exit it!!
Great minds think alike.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Are you using a particular database to get population density figures? Or just using something like Wikipedia? If there is a general population density database I'd be interested to put it in my Favorites ... though I won't need it for a few years it would be interesting to start putting together a little spreadsheet of possible retirement destinations. Nothing like planning ahead.

I'm not too worried about people, just not keen on being in a busy city centre.
Just checked Wikipedia and where I live the population density is only 140/sq mile.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked Wikipedia and where I live the population density is only 140/sq mile.
I forgot all about Wikipedia! Thanks so much, Dunroving.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:52 pm
Ping-ponger

I forgot all about Wikipedia! Thanks so much, Dunroving.
I just checked about 10 towns/cities and they didn't all have population density on Wikipedia, but most did.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked about 10 towns/cities and they didn't all have population density on Wikipedia, but most did.
I will give it a try and see.

Gosh, you live in a deserted place!! Heaven!!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 6:59 pm
Ping-ponger

I will give it a try and see.

Gosh, you live in a deserted place!! Heaven!!
There are about 1,800 people in the village, and we are about 2 miles from a town with 8,000, and about 4 miles from the suburbs of Glasgow, that has almost 600,000 so it's not particularly remote.

But it is nice to be in a relatively small community with less than a 1-minute (yes, that's a 1, not 10 ... ) walk to the nearest country path from which I can walk to most parts of the southern Trossachs without needing a car. The West Highland Way is about 10-15 minutes' walk from my house.

And it's an easy distance to everything Glasgow has.

If I could just adjust to the winters and the distance from the rest of the UK, it would be perfect!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

There are about 1,800 people in the village, and we are about 2 miles from a town with 8,000, and about 4 miles from the suburbs of Glasgow, that has almost 600,000 so it's not particularly remote.
that is too many people in to short a distance for my comfort - its all about proximity.

Glasgow breathing down my neck ... no thanks

I am looking at NZ since having once lived there a a PR. 40 million sheep & 4.3 million people has a density of 43/sq'mile

Last edited by not2old; Oct 27th 2013 at 7:14 pm. Reason: oops
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

And it's an easy distance to everything Glasgow has.

If I could just adjust to the winters and the distance from the rest of the UK, it would be perfect!
south coast of UK is for you, then again affordability of housing
Old Oct 27th 2013, 7:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Are you using a particular database to get population density figures? Or just using something like Wikipedia? If there is a general population density database I'd be interested to put it in my Favorites ... though I won't need it for a few years it would be interesting to start putting together a little spreadsheet of possible retirement destinations. Nothing like planning ahead.

I'm not too worried about people, just not keen on being in a busy city centre.

you already figured it that wiki is the quick search

as is

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/interactiv...ity/index.html

on planning ahead, other considerations

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/browse-by-theme/index.html

Last edited by not2old; Oct 27th 2013 at 7:32 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=not2old;10964030]IOW could be a good choice if you like to see loads of people

Just on the density comparisons, after those of you that have lived on Vancouver Island considering moving to the IOW, you'd likely be overpowered with the number of residents that live on the island. Then can you imagine what its like when the tourists swarm in."

Actually when I looked at the numbers on one of those maps it is about average for down South. There are 130 000 people living there permanently. Yes in the summer/holidays and long weekend over 2 million people descend onto it per year! There are quieter times though. Where we live now in our area about size of IOW there are 82 000 people and I find some parts of it far too quiet! If we stayed here I was seriously thinking of moving to Victoria! Also 42% of people living on IOW are claiming OAP so there are a high number of retirees and they must find something to attract them. The crime which is a big factor for us is also very low and I like the idea you have to take a ferry to get off! That may change after living there though In the summer especially August we will probably do what the locals do and take off to parts much quieter. I don't want to feel alone anymore! I want to see people on beaches having fun and in pubs and in town. The secret of any place is to try and find somewhere quieter to live even if it is a quiet cul-de-sac in a busier place. When there are fewer people there are fewer amenities like hospitals and Leisure centres etc. and theatres and art groups and lots of "busy bodies" in small towns! We are going to rent first wherever we go so as to get a feel for the place!
Old Oct 27th 2013, 9:53 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by feelbritish

Actually when I looked at the numbers on one of those maps it is about average for down South. There are 130 000 people living there permanently. Yes in the summer/holidays and long weekend over 2 million people descend onto it per year! There are quieter times though. Also 42% of people living on IOW are claiming OAP so there are a high number of retirees and they must find something to attract them.
lights out by 10pm at the latest

The secret of any place is to try and find somewhere quieter to live even if it is a quiet cul-de-sac in a busier place. When there are fewer people there are fewer amenities like hospitals and Leisure centres etc. and theatres and art groups and lots of "busy bodies" in small towns! We are going to rent first wherever we go so as to get a feel for the place!
+1

its all down to personal choice

Last edited by not2old; Oct 27th 2013 at 10:12 pm. Reason: added
Old Oct 28th 2013, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=not2old;10964337[I]]lights out by 10pm at the latest[/I]

Absolutely
\
Old Oct 28th 2013, 8:07 pm
Ping-ponger

I'm just watching a new ITV series hosted by Robson Green about England's most sparsely-populated county - Northumberland.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:16 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just watching a new ITV series hosted by Robson Green about England's most sparsely-populated county - Northumberland.
Hey, don't go letting the cat out the bag. Some of us want it to stay that way.. I am recording the series and looking forward to tonight's episode as I believe it includes the Seahouses area which is not too far from me. Does he go to Bamburgh in this episode?
Old Oct 29th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Norfolk was at one time on the table for us too until we decided on IOW. I would think you would be more connected there than Wales especially if you can get a bus to Kings Lynn. What I would love to do is buy a camper and spend the summer touring all these places to get a feel of them all. Not sure if I can pursuade OH to do that though. He likes to have roots and know exactly where he is going to reside and then wants to stay there forever
That's my plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.