Location, location, location

Old Oct 26th 2011, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It just means that the media department didn't want any newspapers to publish the story until October 21st although they had sent the press release early.

I'm not in the 'high speed rail makes no sense' camp. I actually wish the US congress would get its finger out and realize that high speed rail here would create lots of jobs and improve the country's competitiveness. But of course they're against any kind of government spending no matter how much sense it makes.

The planned high speed rail in the UK would eventually reach Leeds I understand, which would be a huge boon for a city that has done a lot to revitalize itself over the last 20 years. As has Birmingham, I understand. Any time we can do something to spread the wealth from London outwards is a good thing in my book because the growing divide is good for no one.

PistolPete, I realize you don't agree, but I wanted to offer a different perspective. Feel free to continue disagreeing
Funny that the article here uses the word vanity which seemed to be the consensus - not mine in particular - word when the issue of high speed rail was previously discussed on here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/ju...ecipe-disaster

It's not about High-Speed rail per se (with which I'm actually generally in favour) but about the way the UK goes about major projects like this what with huge costs and cost over-runs involved.

On that note I exit BE period.
Old Oct 26th 2011, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
We used to have this set-up!

One owns *with* the housing association ...you must pay rent on the part you don't own

We owned 50%~they owned 50%

If we hadn't come here, we could have 'staircased' and bought more shares -thus lowering our rent portion.
Gab, I have seen this too and wondered exactly how it worked. Did you live in the property and paid rent on 50%? It seems common in UK now?
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

This thread (UK House Sale Price Hit) from the Canada forum gives some good insights into the UK Property market from those who have sold there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=736953&page=2
Old Oct 28th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wawa
Gab, I have seen this too and wondered exactly how it worked. Did you live in the property and paid rent on 50%? It seems common in UK now?
Its quite common, it has its critics though.

Yes, we paid rent on the part we didn't own ...the lady downstairs 'staircased' very quickly and sold it within a year.

Actually , I suspect she pulled some strings to get it (in the first place) as its very rare to be able to move on that fast.

Plus, the apartments were for key workers, and people who made below a certain amount.

We made a good profit however (EVEN on 50%), enough for us to start over here in the US!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

In response to a couple of questions ont the MBTTUK - Chit Chat thread.

Sally, these stats show all areas of Yorks and Humber, except York, as being down in price:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...ml/region3.stm

... and these 0prices for Northern Ireland, though mostly down, show that Belfast is indeed up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/region11.stm
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:42 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Bandrui, Yorks and Humber isn't the Lake District. The Lake District is part of Cumbria which is on the other side of the country. Parts of Cumbria have been hard hit because they are very remote and rural, but the Lake District, which was just voted the UK's most beautiful national park, is a far cry from those parts - and a VERY far cry from Humberside

I see those stats show South Lakeland prices to be down (still not the Lake District exactly but closer), but they were so high to start with that this doesn't equal a bargain. Trust me, I look at every property on Rightmove every day and have done for 2 years now and I have yet to see good deals start popping up. I do notice an awful lot of properties on the market forever though and keep thinking they have to come down in price soon - but I was thinking that 2 years ago, and there are other houses that sell almost right away.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Nov 23rd 2011 at 11:46 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Bandrui, Yorks and Humber isn't the Lake District. The Lake District is part of Cumbria which is on the other side of the country. Parts of Cumbria have been hard hit because they are very remote and rural, but the Lake District, which was just voted the UK's most beautiful national park, is a far cry from those parts - and a VERY far cry from Humberside

I see those stats show South Lakeland prices to be down (still not the Lake District exactly but closer), but they were so high to start with that this doesn't equal a bargain. Trust me, I look at every property on Rightmove every day and have done for 2 years now and I have yet to see good deals start popping up. I do notice an awful lot of properties on the market forever though and keep thinking they have to come down in price soon - but I was thinking that 2 years ago, and there are other houses that sell almost right away.
Oops. I stand corrected. but as you say the stats for Cumbria are showing a decrease in all areas:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/county28.stm

I too see some of the same properties still listed on Rightmove after months of looking in my areas of interest which seems to indicate that they are overpriced for the current market. Those that sell seem to be the ones that are more realistically priced for the current market.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
In response to a couple of questions ont the MBTTUK - Chit Chat thread.

Sally, these stats show all areas of Yorks and Humber, except York, as being down in price:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...ml/region3.stm

... and these 0prices for Northern Ireland, though mostly down, show that Belfast is indeed up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/region11.stm
Thank you very much for the interesting update on location :-)
Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Thank you very much for the interesting update on location :-)
Not forgetting of course that the British sterling is tanking against the US dollar. Not significant enough for us returning wounded.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Not forgetting of course that the British sterling is tanking against the US dollar. Not significant enough for us returning wounded.
Yes. Against the Canadian dollar it has changed from $1.55 to $1.62 over the past year so not too bad and it's an ever-changing scene so we'll just have to stay tuned.

Here's a site I have bookmarked that gives historical exchange rates. Still looking good .

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:35 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oops. I stand corrected. but as you say the stats for Cumbria are showing a decrease in all areas:
It would be interesting to see the actual Lake District but they don't break it out that way. Cumbria is not the same as The Lake District as outside of the national park there are very little employment opportunities. You also really need to look by town rather than by county.

The sad truth is that while Yorkshire is down, the towns I would like to live in are the nicest ones and therefore the ones with the most resiliency when it comes to prices.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping track of house prices. One headline says house prices in the UK are going down then read another like this one were it says prices are going up??

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...to-soar-by-15-
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Yes. Against the Canadian dollar it has changed from $1.55 to $1.62 over the past year so not too bad and it's an ever-changing scene so we'll just have to stay tuned.

Here's a site I have bookmarked that gives historical exchange rates. Still looking good .

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/
It could get better if all of this materializes:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...-collapse.html
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Keeping track of house prices. One headline says house prices in the UK are going down then read another like this one were it says prices are going up??

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...to-soar-by-15-
Probably because a) patterns are regional, b) different databases show different results (Rightmove asking prices are not the same as sale prices, for example), c) the sales volumes are often so small that the data are untrustworthy/unstable, and d) not all databases adjust for property type (so if there are more detached and semis selling, the average sale price will be inflated).
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Would you buy this place?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33379223.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.