Location, location, location

Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:46 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

There are some houses in Cumbria that are restricted to local occupancy but they seem to be few and far between - fewer than I would have expected given the exorbitant pricing in that part of the country and the influx of second home owners.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting report that confirms what some of us were saying a while ago - in many cases, renting can be the smart financial option:

Using data from 1979 to 2009, the authors demonstrate that renting was the superior investment strategy for most of the past 30 years. Counterintuitive as the finding may be to some, it is actually quite logical. Unless someone possesses the cash necessary to buy a residence, he or she will be renting one way or another. The choice is between renting the property directly or instead renting the capital necessary to buy the property. The amount of capital to be rented is a function of house prices, while the bulk of a mortgage payment is interest, which is the rental payment on this capital. After 2 years, the typical 30-year amortizing mortgage balance has been reduced by less than 3%. This means that a household that took out a $300,000 mortgage with a 5% interest rate to buy a home has only reduced its mortgage balance by $8,600 after two years despite spending nearly $39,000 in total over this period.

Housing advocates may respond by pointing out that at least the $8,600 in this scenario went towards home equity rather than simply being squandered on rent. But, as demonstrated in the Real Estate Economics article, the principal component of each mortgage payment – i.e. the portion of the mortgage payment that goes towards reducing the principal mortgage balance instead of interest – is an added expense renters don’t have.
Full article here.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

This is reasonably priced for those who wish to live close to the Thames.

http://tinyurl.com/3apez7c
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

That's an interesting option Aries. For myself, I like to have my feet firmly planted on the earth but it is nice to see some alternative options put forward. Thank you for that.
Is it something that you are considering?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Costs around it though may be considerable. Lived on a house boat for three months in the winter of 78/79 across from Richmond on the Thames.
Interesting but bailed out early. Had more than enough of frozen pipes and blocked toilets.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's an interesting option Aries. For myself, I like to have my feet firmly planted on the earth but it is nice to see some alternative options put forward. Thank you for that.
Is it something that you are considering?
Not really, although I like the idea, it was something I came across which looked to be interesting. I think it would be more than I could cope with by myself.

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Costs around it though may be considerable. Lived on a house boat for three months in the winter of 78/79 across from Richmond on the Thames.
Interesting but bailed out early. Had more than enough of frozen pipes and blocked toilets.
Frozen pipes and blocked toilets isn't something I had thought about. I haven't seen a frozen pipe for half a century despite my water heater here being outside the back door. Hmm, is that what I must put up with in the winter if I buy a flat somewhere in the south of England?
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, although I like the idea, it was
Frozen pipes and blocked toilets isn't something I had thought about. I haven't seen a frozen pipe for half a century despite my water heater here being outside the back door. Hmm, is that what I must put up with in the winter if I buy a flat somewhere in the south of England?
The winter of 78/79 was a pretty savage one being the worst for a number of decades from memory.

Never had that problem anywhere else while living in flats so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Have you decided in an area down in the south yet? I'm on the look as well but for the life of me cannot decide on a location.
Mostly lived in London and though liked visiting the countryside for a day or so always had slightly negative views on life in the sticks.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the troubadour
The winter of 78/79 was a pretty savage one being the worst for a number of decades from memory.

Never had that problem anywhere else while living in flats so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Have you decided in an area down in the south yet? I'm on the look as well but for the life of me cannot decide on a location.
Mostly lived in London and though liked visiting the countryside for a day or so always had slightly negative views on life in the sticks.
Like you I can't decide, but must do so soon with my house on the market.

London would be my first choice, however I doubt if I could afford a decent flat in a nice area. It may well be a compromise, live somewhere in London which doesn't meet my expectations, or look further away, perhaps towards Eastbourne
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

inaquandry is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here are some latest figures and article (Guardian) on UK Property Market

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...sayers-delight
Old Jul 28th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inaquandry
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here are some latest figures and article (Guardian) on UK Property Market

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011...sayers-delight
Yep. Right place. thanks for posting those.

Just as I had decided to think about renting instead of buying, rents are on the upsweep. I have been looking at rentals in areas of interest and find it quite disheartening. A lot of the more affordable places are downright depressing.

Am still considering buy to let and letting that subsidize my own rent while increasing equity.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Yep. Right place. thanks for posting those.

Just as I had decided to think about renting instead of buying, rents are on the upsweep. I have been looking at rentals in areas of interest and find it quite disheartening. A lot of the more affordable places are downright depressing.

Am still considering buy to let and letting that subsidize my own rent while increasing equity.
I was thinking about the rent vs owning just today and I was thinking about how much the closing costs would be on a house and how many months of renting it would take to justify those costs.
Both have pluses and minuses don't you know.
Its jolly 'ot 'ere. The Brits can have all this sunshine and hot weather and you can't go outside. What kind of a life is that?
Cheers
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:39 am
Just Joined

inaquandry is an unknown quantity at this point

We finally decided to rent for the time being, but having searched over the past 6 weeks, our experience is (in Berks/Bucks/Oxon commutable to London) it is a Landlord's market. All the agents told us the demand for rental property outweighed supply and that it was unusual for this time of year. In the end we made a decision on a place as we were first to view and needed to say yes or no before the day was out, due to so many booked to view. The agents didn't need to follow up after viewings and we had to do our own searching for property, none had time or need to call us or be proactive about showing us places as they were all being snapped up within days of being marketed. This is just our experience, it may be different elsewhere.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 10:54 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by inaquandry
We finally decided to rent for the time being, but having searched over the past 6 weeks, our experience is (in Berks/Bucks/Oxon commutable to London) it is a Landlord's market. All the agents told us the demand for rental property outweighed supply and that it was unusual for this time of year. In the end we made a decision on a place as we were first to view and needed to say yes or no before the day was out, due to so many booked to view. The agents didn't need to follow up after viewings and we had to do our own searching for property, none had time or need to call us or be proactive about showing us places as they were all being snapped up within days of being marketed. This is just our experience, it may be different elsewhere.

We are currently renting near Windsor and had this same type of experience 4 months ago as we were researching rental properties...viewing a property and having to give a decision that day as others were booked in to view.

When we decided to rent the place we are now living in, someone else had actually already said she wanted it. She was a single professional who wanted a 6-month lease; we were a professional couple who wanted a 12-month lease. It was almost a literal 'race' to the letting agent with our deposit, but in the end the landlord decided to rent to us.

Definitely a Landlord's market, as you say.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:59 am
Just Joined

D.K.B.63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DDL
We are currently renting near Windsor and had this same type of experience 4 months ago as we were researching rental properties...viewing a property and having to give a decision that day as others were booked in to view.

When we decided to rent the place we are now living in, someone else had actually already said she wanted it. She was a single professional who wanted a 6-month lease; we were a professional couple who wanted a 12-month lease. It was almost a literal 'race' to the letting agent with our deposit, but in the end the landlord decided to rent to us.

Definitely a Landlord's market, as you say.
Small world I am originally from the other half of the Royal borough Maidenhead. Is your husband originally from Windsor and Maidenhead area.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

We've been llloking at renting rather than owning for a couple of years now. We've made the decision to sell the house we currently have in SE Wales, invewst the capital and then rent when we move to SW England hopefully sometime in the next 12 to 18 months. We can afford more house for our money that way and our capital from the sale of our house here can work for us. We also plan to downsize from a 4 BR to a 2 BR or maybe a 3BR.

The investment of of the capital from the sale of our house could pretty much pay our rent in some of the nicer areas we want to live in. If for any reason we wanted to move, not having to sell a house makes it much easier to do so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.