Location, location, location

Old May 22nd 2011, 7:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by aries
While searching for flats, it can be irritating to see a number of external views, but none interior. Retirement places are especially guilty of this.

Sometimes when interior views are not shown, I click for a pdf download supposedly providing full details, and I'm referred to a window which wants me to go elsewhere. I now don't click any further, but wonder if there is in fact a flat for sale at that location. A few times I've reached a web page I don't want which refuses to be deleted, and I've had to Force Quit.

At least I have an iMac so feel reasonably safe.
We've enquired about several on new developments, only to find that the ones advertised are not available, only ones at a higher price.
Old May 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

While searching for flats, it can be irritating to see a number of external views, but none interior. Retirement places are especially guilty of this.
Or sometimes they show the local park, or even worse, a table set for dinner with fine China and glassware but nothing of the property. Just more marketing people off on their own tangent methinks.
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Some more:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33966518.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25434712.html

Lovely village with a great pub:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32872904.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

If you don't have a budget:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30133240.html
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:12 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
Yes, I saw that garden centre . I would probably be more likely to drop off business cards there for people looking for a gardener; I doubt that the centre would pay much for work.
It took me a while to find the property on street view too, and I also like gates, especially these 5-bar ones.
I am really liking the sense of space in this broad area, and the prices. There is also a sense of being surrounded by some of the land that has remained unused which I find appealing. The South has some benefits of its own but there is a definite feeling that every square inch of land has been used for something.
I thought that the Forest of Dean would be interesting to explore but I understand there is now a population of over 100 wild boar .
I've noticed from your and other postings that some of you are investigating different places to live in UK. If you have TV and the channel BBC Canada I would suggest you follow the programme 'Escape to the country'. The programme gives a good insight into places to live, and not necessarily truly in the countryside, all over the UK. Programmes seem to be about two to three years old as so prices tend to be higher than currently.

If somebody else has suggested this then apologies for repeating it. Didn't want to trawl through 'search' to find out.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anishq
I've noticed from your and other postings that some of you are investigating different places to live in UK. If you have TV and the channel BBC Canada I would suggest you follow the programme 'Escape to the country'. The programme gives a good insight into places to live, and not necessarily truly in the countryside, all over the UK. Programmes seem to be about two to three years old as so prices tend to be higher than currently.

If somebody else has suggested this then apologies for repeating it. Didn't want to trawl through 'search' to find out.
Originally the idea for Location Location Location was indeed modeled on the Channel 4 programme Relocation....

The intent was to seek out areas suitable for us to live in mostly during retirement. In order to accomplish this, it definitely does makes sense to watch current programmes which address some of the issues that would need to be addressed in contemporary UK. This would aid a proper informed decision as to where to relocate to knowing that as a retired person one would typically have much more freedom of choice as commuting is not involved. The only real issues are proximity to transport , services and family and friends.

Rightmove offers an opportunity to look at houses in various locales and compare in terms of price and quality. Retirees are far more focused on price, so it seems, and not really so much interested in the value associated with a property with all things taken into account. Endless postings of current properties on Rightmove ends up being pretty pointless and futile as this is simply a fantasy exercise unless one is already ready to make the move and buy having looked at all angles.

Even looking at TV programmes one still misses or just glosses over the quality of life in local communities and pluses and minuses of localised service changes which can only be uncovered through proper research on the ground.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that nobody knows or understands what the UK and by implication the UK property market is facing at this point and therefore appreciates that a value assessment must always be made. In an extreme case, cheap may appear cheerful but when you end up in an area where you actually only get what you pay for or less because the locals are slowly becoming unemployed or impoverished and couldn't care less about the state of the street you have just bought into and petty crime is moving in, you might regret the time you didn't spend stressing the details beforehand.

It's good to see some posters are actively involved in doing the proper research and not just in Rightmove or similar.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 22nd 2011 at 2:42 pm.
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

Here's one I liked the look of in Brixham at this price.

http://www.findaproperty.com/display...=0&pid=8719032

Last edited by HighTide; May 22nd 2011 at 5:55 pm.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Some more:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33966518.html

I like the exterior of this one and the location. Great yard but the inside doesn't look inviting somehow.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-25434712.html

Very interesting. When I say that open living space I thought "Studio". Not in love with that Kitchen.

Lovely village with a great pub:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32872904.html

I like that one. I see it with different furniture. Great location.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

A lot of character. A good house but it might be a tad close to that busy road for me.

If you don't have a budget:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30133240.html
A lovely home tastefully finished. The other 4 were already over my budget.

... and beware of climbing wisteria and ivy which will damage a house.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anishq

I have seen that show a couple of times and would love to see more but cannot get it now, unless there are any on Youtube. I tried installing Expat Shield many times with no luck so guess I will have to wait.
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Originally the idea for Location Location Location was indeed modeled on the Channel 4 programme Relocation....

The intent was to seek out areas suitable for us to live in mostly during retirement. In order to accomplish this, it definitely does makes sense to watch current programmes which address some of the issues that would need to be addressed in contemporary UK. This would aid a proper informed decision as to where to relocate to knowing that as a retired person one would typically have much more freedom of choice as commuting is not involved. The only real issues are proximity to transport , services and family and friends.

Rightmove offers an opportunity to look at houses in various locales and compare in terms of price and quality. Retirees are far more focused on price, so it seems, and not really so much interested in the value associated with a property with all things taken into account. Endless postings of current properties on Rightmove ends up being pretty pointless and futile as this is simply a fantasy exercise unless one is already ready to make the move and buy having looked at all angles.

Even looking at TV programmes one still misses or just glosses over the quality of life in local communities and pluses and minuses of localised service changes which can only be uncovered through proper research on the ground.

Part of the problem, as I see it, is that nobody knows or understands what the UK and by implication the UK property market is facing at this point and therefore appreciates that a value assessment must always be made. In an extreme case, cheap may appear cheerful but when you end up in an area where you actually only get what you pay for or less because the locals are slowly becoming unemployed or impoverished and couldn't care less about the state of the street you have just bought into and petty crime is moving in, you might regret the time you didn't spend stressing the details beforehand.

It's good to see some posters are actively involved in doing the proper research and not just in Rightmove or similar.
Pete, I really appreciate your posts on this thread, rightmove postings, pointing out potential location difiiculties, your information about areas, etc. but I think that you may have underestimated the posters here.

I think everyone is aware that most of the work will be done on the ground, that prices are not the only factor to consider and that there are many things to investigate before choosing an area in which to live but I must say that I find this an enjoyable voyage of exploration.

I have read with interest what others have to say about different counties and towns, the property market, the property finds, things to be wary of, etc. It is all an information gathering process which serves to inform future decisions though not dictate them.

I chose the name Location, Location, Location on a whim after the TV show of the same name. I hoped that it could be an umbrella for all things property related, since the topic was sprinkled through other threads. Though many of us are 50+, I am interested in the views from posters of all ages and many good points have been made, information shared.

Can you explain what you meant by "proper research"? Just curious.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Although I probably will not buy a place in the UK at least for a couple of years, ( I think ). I have found this thread fascinating, and a great introduction to the ins and outs of choosing/buying/renting property ect...

Thanks Bandrui for starting this thread
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

I posted this on another thread but think it might be useful here: the one-of costs of buying a house in the UK. They are a lot more than those paid here though for the same items:

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/buying/one_off_costs.htm

Definitely makes a case for renting until sure where you would like to buy.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Although I know that being on the ground is not only important but essential, I can explore on the internet the different towns mentioned by BE members, and give myself a wider area to consider.

Without links to properties, I would not know what is available, nor their prices.

I began my search more than a year ago, and restricted myself to my home town of Torquay which I know so well, but in recent months family members in England, a friend in Germany, and a friend in Melbourne, have indicated that it might not be geographically convenient for me. Sadly I believe they may be right, but considering somewhere else I would like, and which is convenient and affordable, is giving me quite a headache.
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
The intent was to seek out areas suitable for us to live in mostly during retirement.......

I think you raise some very good points. The Internet for me is just a starting point. I can go onto Google street view and eliminate a property if I see anything in the area I do not like such as pubs, fish and chip shops, traffic hazards, etc. but for a potential buy, I would visit an area. I think this is why when many people return to the UK, they often move back to areas they know. I am thinking the same although I was originally against this. And, of course, areas can change.

There are many cases in the UK of people losing their money buying properties unseen on the Internet in places such as Bulgaria, etc. Many people do it though. Crazy people (in my opinion).

Last edited by johnh009; May 23rd 2011 at 8:27 am.
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I think you raise some very good points. The Internet for me is just a starting point. I can go onto Google street view and eliminate a property if I see anything in the area I do not like such as pubs, fish and chip shops, traffic hazards, etc. but for a potential buy, I would visit an area. I think this is why when many people return to the UK, they often move back to areas they know. I am thinking the same although I was originally against this. And, of course, areas can change.

There are many cases in the UK of people losing their money buying properties unseen on the Internet in places such as Bulgaria, etc. Many people do it though. Crazy people (in my opinion).
You are spot on about eliminating property if there are things in the area you don't like. Recently I saw a property which seemed marvellous in every way, but Street View showed a pub immediately opposite.

Nothing beats being on the ground, but we have to start looking somewhere.
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You are spot on about eliminating property if there are things in the area you don't like. Recently I saw a property which seemed marvellous in every way, but Street View showed a pub immediately opposite.

Nothing beats being on the ground, but we have to start looking somewhere.
Certainly not a good place to buy then, I once owned a house and there was a carpenters and joiners opposite, the owner died, and, despite objections, it was converted into a pub. The noise and disturbance was horrendous. I had to call the policce several times for people parking their cars on the road blocking my entrance, and as I was on emergency call for a hospital it could, and did cause problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.