Location, location, location

Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by DKP
Have you thought about Kent?

There are still some very good buys, not too far from the coast, and not too far from London?
Where exactly are you thinking of and are you thinking in terms of retirement or working?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:28 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.primelocation.com/

I think that there are a number of locations in Kent that might work for both.

Also look at Auction websites over a period of time.

Barnard Marcus
Allsops
Savilles
Auction House
Old Mar 17th 2013, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DKP
http://www.primelocation.com/

I think that there are a number of locations in Kent that might work for both.

Also look at Auction websites over a period of time.

Barnard Marcus
Allsops
Savilles
Auction House
Posters have "been" all over the place in the MBTTUK section, though not necessarily in Location Location Location.

We have had several from South Africa looking to locate in Kent but had seen previous feedback that previous posters didn't like many of the towns - such as those in North Kent near the Medway, which tend to turn people off in particular.

Others like Dover for its house prices and good commuting, while others still like Canterbury and the surrounding areas,

BUT

Price has tended to be an issue for those looking to buy or rent in what are perceived as being desirable areas, which is why Kent property activity on here is not that intense. Others simply seem to be turned off by Kent.

Added to this, once you get out from the blatantly expensive property areas of Sevenoaks, most of T Wells and Tonbridge, the commute, if indeed commuting, starts to get either time-consuming or expensive or both.

Hence my inquiry regarding specifics in terms of towns, rather than estate agents and auctioneers.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 17th 2013 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

HI Bandrui,
I now live within a spitting distance of Chipping Norton this property is on a busy road at the back of the shops where all the shop loading bays are also very close to a large comprehensive, 'Chippy' as its known is lovely as is neighbouring Banbury and surrounding villages and the local bus service runs quite often between the 2, let me know if you want any more info
regards
Jane
Old Mar 18th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Well, I was thinking you might do it privately, so you would be self-employed.
That's a good idea I will give it some thought to determine the best way to go about it.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
HI Bandrui,
I now live within a spitting distance of Chipping Norton this property is on a busy road at the back of the shops where all the shop loading bays are also very close to a large comprehensive, 'Chippy' as its known is lovely as is neighbouring Banbury and surrounding villages and the local bus service runs quite often between the 2, let me know if you want any more info
regards
Jane
Tell us more
Cheers
Old Mar 18th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

HI Bandrui,
regards
Jane
Thank you Janey K. It's always good to hear from someone who is actually there. As Phil and Kirsty always say: "You can't rely on the internet to find a place".

I'm interested to know how you like living there. What are the pluses and the minuses? Elements of the population? As an alternative type, would I feel lost there?

Any thoughts on these 2 properties?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40605671.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-38041189.html
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Thank you Janey K. It's always good to hear from someone who is actually there. As Phil and Kirsty always say: "You can't rely on the internet to find a place".

I'm interested to know how you like living there. What are the pluses and the minuses? Elements of the population? As an alternative type, would I feel lost there?

The first one is a winner. Its a pity you can't put a deposit on it. No street view.
The second one is a bit quirky. The street is really nice and it in town.

Got to run.
Cheers
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

The first one looks like it is close to a working farm and there are issues relating to access due to some sort of shared right of way for access to an adjacent cottage.

Nevertheless, it is lovely and the village looks attractive though also seems attached to the agricultural side of things.

Check this for the Salford Parish Council Minutes:

http://www.wospweb.com/site/Salford-...tings-2013.htm

The village donates to the Village Community Bus for rural Oxfordshire.

Lower End of Salford where this property is, looks for more like a traditional village, but looks like it has another working farm:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-36990778.html

I Like this:

http://salfordvillagehall.co.uk/location.html
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful views, handy to lots of places we are only 20 miles from Stratford, drive to Thornihill park and ride on the east of Oxford and there is a fast bus service into London that runs all night, not far from Wales for day trip or Milton Keynes, Cheltenham for shopping, just over 1hr to south coast far away from Parents!!!

Lots of pot holes and I mean large ones this is not unique but seems to be a trend in rural areas, Chipping Norton is on top of a hill the school boasts to be the highest in England not sure about that!
We live in Great Rollright which is small but lovely also on the ridge down one side is far reaching views of Warwickshire the other towards Oxford, Blenheim Palace is 15 mins away. Other villages to look at are The Bartons, The Tews, Long Compton and Hook Norton (includes 2 pubs, coffee shop, library and a large local shop). If you look on the south side Charlbury is a large village with commuter links to London by train you may see the PM on the platform or the Wychwords (Shipton, Ascott and Milton) all lovely.
we rented a holiday cottage in Hook Norton until last week and loved it, when we buy we shall look there
Other place to consider in the area are Moreton in the Marsh, Stow on the wold, Bourton on the Water and Burford all have amenities etc.
We also looked at villages to the south of Banbury (Deddington, Bloxham, Tackley and Milton) all poplar due to a good school but also very pretty with links to Banbury these are attractive also the M40 and Northmaptonshire. Deddington again is om a hill so views are stunning along with the canal on your doorstep
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Location, location, location

Beautiful views, handy to lots of places we are only 20 miles from Stratford, drive to Thornihill park and ride on the east of Oxford and there is a fast bus service into London that runs all night, not far from Wales for day trip or Milton Keynes, Cheltenham for shopping, just over 1hr to south coast far away from Parents!!!

Lots of pot holes and I mean large ones this is not unique but seems to be a trend in rural areas, Chipping Norton is on top of a hill the school boasts to be the highest in England not sure about that!
We live in Great Rollright which is small but lovely also on the ridge down one side is far reaching views of Warwickshire the other towards Oxford, Blenheim Palace is 15 mins away. Other villages to look at are The Bartons, The Tews, Long Compton and Hook Norton (includes 2 pubs, coffee shop, library and a large local shop). If you look on the south side Charlbury is a large village with commuter links to London by train you may see the PM on the platform or the Wychwords (Shipton, Ascott and Milton) all lovely.
we rented a holiday cottage in Hook Norton until last week and loved it, when we buy we shall look there
Other place to consider in the area are Moreton in the Marsh, Stow on the wold, Bourton on the Water and Burford all have amenities etc.
We also looked at villages to the south of Banbury (Deddington, Bloxham, Tackley and Milton) all poplar due to a good school but also very pretty with links to Banbury these are attractive also the M40 and Northmaptonshire. Deddington again is om a hill so views are stunning along with the canal on your doorstep
That's great Janeyk. Very valuable information. Thank you for taking the time to do that.

Can I impose on your generosity and ask you a couple more questions?
I understand all the boxes it checks but can I ask you how it feels living there? Is it very peaceful? Fun? Ultra-conservative? Do you really enjoy it? Why?

I am trying to picture what life is like there. Of course, we are probably quite different but I am trying to get a feel for the place.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quiet yes rural yes I had to laugh yesterday our belongings have not caught up with us yet so we have deckchairs and a picnic table in the lounge a smart dressed women looked through the window I answered the door to find the conservative councellor canvassing for votes clearly quitee shocked at what she saw she could not escape fast enough
Thecis plenty to do more so if you are home in yhe day I have joined a zumba class in Hooky and the local historical society as you have said there is theatre cibema etc in Chippy lots of pubs etc in the area we like it but we are country bumpkins
Peopke are freindly and helpful especially local shops
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good idea.

Having walked through the Somerset Levels, I would hesitate to purchase a property there. I do think the Isle of Avalon will one day once more become an Isle .

HINKLEY POINT

Always on my mind.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...-hinkley-point
Old Mar 19th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Sunday Times the best place in Britain in which to live, all factors considered, is:

STAMFORD Lincolnshire

It is so beautiful in terms of architecture and atmosphere that it is the favourite location for the setting for a selection of TV costume dramas and serials.

Next in order was, and this surprised me a little when you consider the fact that it rains quite a lot there -

KENDAL Cumbria -on the edge of the Lake District.

Then comes:

WYE Kent - just to the south of Ashford, with its direct link to the Channel Tunnels from the Ashford International train station, and frequent direct trains to London Charing Cross.

And fourth is:

THORNBURY South Gloucestershire - just to the north of Bristol - a "very desirable location with the ultimate in lifestyle mix in an extremely attractive small(ish) town - modern surrounding an historic centre".

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/...cle1222090.ece
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Quiet yes rural yes I had to laugh yesterday our belongings have not caught up with us yet so we have deckchairs and a picnic table in the lounge a smart dressed women looked through the window I answered the door to find the conservative councellor canvassing for votes clearly quitee shocked at what she saw she could not escape fast enough
Thecis plenty to do more so if you are home in yhe day I have joined a zumba class in Hooky and the local historical society as you have said there is theatre cibema etc in Chippy lots of pubs etc in the area we like it but we are country bumpkins
Peopke are freindly and helpful especially local shops
Thanks again janeyk. I would love to have seen that councillor's face .
It is nice that 'Chippy' has some town benefits while being in beautiful countryside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.