Location, location, location

Old Mar 15th 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by windsong
Love that first house! What a shame the grounds look a bit bare, though. Trees in the yard would be lovely.

Second one is nice, too, but first is my favorite
Hi Windsong, Good to hear from you.

It seems to me that an opportunity like that first house doesn't come along very often. Can't believe the price. It has a great location too. It does go to show that there are affordable properties to be had in the locations where I am looking.

Where would you go when you return to the UK? (Notice I said 'when' and not 'if' ).
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi Windsong, Good to hear from you.

It seems to me that an opportunity like that first house doesn't come along very often. Can't believe the price. It has a great location too. It does go to show that there are affordable properties to be had in the locations where I am looking.

Where would you go when you return to the UK? (Notice I said 'when' and not 'if' ).
Hi Bandrui Nice to see you too

Yes, I totally agree that the first house is terrific. Nice size rooms, too, and the garden is a blank canvas to make it any way you want it. Great price for what you get, I think.

Yes, it is definitely "when". I'd like to be able to define a date or even a year but I can't just yet.

As for where I would go . . . well, my choices would be Somerset or North Yorkshire in England (maybe Wiltshire, too) and Edinburgh or Fife area in Scotland. However, it all depends where I can a rental property where I can take my four little pets. After that, it depends where the job is. Those places would be my choices, though.

I have to be in tune with my surroundings. Nature and the countryside are part of who I am so living in a place where my soul feels at peace is almost as important to me as income. All the money in the world cannot buy the feeling of belonging I'd rather earn a little less and love where I live, so long as I can pay the bills. Living in an area where you feel one with nature is a gift that can't be bought.

Somerset - Draycott, Cheddar, Wells, Bath, etc. are all lovely. I think the south west of England is gorgeous. My father lived in Draycott for the last 30-35 years of his life. He loved it! I also found the people to be extremely courteous and friendly when I visited - and exceptionally caring towards my father in his later years. Often he would go to the front door in the morning and find a rabbit caught by the local poacher or some fresh produce grown in someone's garden. Some of the villagers would often call on him at random to visit and to make sure he was okay (he lived alone until he was 90).

I lived in the Edinburgh area for many years and often traveled to Fife, too. In both general areas, you are never far from the countryside.

I often think we are so lucky to belong to such a wonderful country as the UK because, even though it is small, it offers us so much - so much beautiful countryside, so much history and fine architecture, the arts, beautiful gardens, etc.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bandrui Nice to see you too

Yes, I totally agree that the first house is terrific. Nice size rooms, too, and the garden is a blank canvas to make it any way you want it. Great price for what you get, I think.

Yes, it is definitely "when". I'd like to be able to define a date or even a year but I can't just yet.

As for where I would go . . . well, my choices would be Somerset or North Yorkshire in England (maybe Wiltshire, too) and Edinburgh or Fife area in Scotland. However, it all depends where I can a rental property where I can take my four little pets. After that, it depends where the job is. Those places would be my choices, though.

I have to be in tune with my surroundings. Nature and the countryside are part of who I am so living in a place where my soul feels at peace is almost as important to me as income. All the money in the world cannot buy the feeling of belonging I'd rather earn a little less and love where I live, so long as I can pay the bills. Living in an area where you feel one with nature is a gift that can't be bought.

Somerset - Draycott, Cheddar, Wells, Bath, etc. are all lovely. I think the south west of England is gorgeous. My father lived in Draycott for the last 30-35 years of his life. He loved it! I also found the people to be extremely courteous and friendly when I visited - and exceptionally caring towards my father in his later years. Often he would go to the front door in the morning and find a rabbit caught by the local poacher or some fresh produce grown in someone's garden. Some of the villagers would often call on him at random to visit and to make sure he was okay (he lived alone until he was 90).

I lived in the Edinburgh area for many years and often traveled to Fife, too. In both general areas, you are never far from the countryside.

I often think we are so lucky to belong to such a wonderful country as the UK because, even though it is small, it offers us so much - so much beautiful countryside, so much history and fine architecture, the arts, beautiful gardens, etc.
Well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Being in tune with my surroundings is the most important thing to me. I am always thinking about this when I look for places, both in terms of the people and the countryside.

You probably know by now that I am a bit of a non-conformist and this is why I am really thinking about Glastonbury at the moment (for the last couple of days). I feel that I could be totally myself there, there would be lots of interesting things to do, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

One day I walked about 10 miles to the iron age lake villages on the Somerset levels. To get there I had to walk through peat fields and a bird reserve where there are apparently some rare birds. People were out riding bikes and had their huge telephoto lenses set up. Bird paparazzi!

The there are the Mendips just to the North, the Polden Hills to the South.

I rarely buy magazines but when my friend left here to go back to the UK (Wiltshire) she gave me a stack of UK Country Living and now I'm hooked. At the moment they are running a series on how to set up your own country business with examples from all realms. The latest is a bakery in Norfolk but there are all types of businesses. I know you sew. Maybe think about setting up your own business rather than be a wage slave, or you could supplement your income by doing alterations and custom dressmaking. Anyway pick up that mag if you can. It's full of interesting articles about the countryside and locations around the UK.

When I came to the island here, I bought a house and had no idea how I was going to make a living but it has all worked out and even though I only make a fraction of what I made in Vancouver, I only work at things that make me happy. Many people here work several things. I personally like the variety; gardener, administrator, astrologer, natural fibre clothing. It has made me believe that I can always make a living anywhere and more importantly, it isn't as important to me to make a ton of money as it is to be happy in what I do.

We are among the fortunate who can choose where we want to live though in some respects that makes it harder. As you said, the Uk is full of wonderful and varied places.

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 16th 2013 at 6:48 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Well said. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Being in tune with my surroundings is the most important thing to me. I am always thinking about this when I look for places, both in terms of the people and the countryside.

You probably know by now that I am a bit of a non-conformist and this is why I am really thinking about Glastonbury at the moment (for the last couple of days). I feel that I could be totally myself there, there would be lots of interesting things to do, and the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

One day I walked about 10 miles to the iron age lake villages on the Somerset levels. To get there I had to walk through peat fields and a bird reserve where there are apparently some rare birds. People were out riding bikes and had their huge telephoto lenses set up. Bird paparazzi!

The there are the Mendips just to the North, the Polden Hills to the South.

I rarely buy magazines but when my friend left here to go back to the UK (Wiltshire) she gave me a stack of UK Country Living and now I'm hooked. At the moment they are running a series on how to set up your own country business with examples from all realms. The latest is a bakery in Norfolk but there are all types of businesses. I know you sew. Maybe think about setting up your own business rather than be a wage slave, or you could supplement your income by doing alterations and custom dressmaking. Anyway pick up that mag if you can. It's full of interesting articles about the countryside and locations around the UK.

When I came to the island here, I bought a house and had no idea how I was going to make a living but it has all worked out and even though I only make a fraction of what I made in Vancouver, I only work at things that make me happy. Many people here work several things. I personally like the variety; gardener, administrator, astrologer, natural fibre clothing. It has made me believe that I can always make a living anywhere and more importantly, it isn't as important to me to make a ton of money as it is to be happy in what I do.

We are among the fortunate who can choose where we want to live though in some respects that makes it harder. As you said, the Uk is full of wonderful and varied places.
I will definitely seek out that magazine

Truth be told, I have already started a business in the entertainment industry. It is in the early, formative stages and not making money yet. Fortunately, I can run it from anywhere in the world. However, I haven't done much with it for a few months as I am so depressed about trying to find work here. The job market is terrible.

In spite of the business, I really would like to have another job when I get to the UK. I have lost so much ground here that I want to make the most of the working years I have left and save as much as I can. There's no reason I can't work and run the business as well, at least until the business makes such a good income I can truly afford to work only for myself (and my business partner) which is, of course, my goal.

My present thought is to get a job teaching in a further education college since I have the background for this.

I do have many skills that would allow me to do freelance work of many kinds, such as editing book drafts, graphic design, designing publications, promotional film-making and probably other things, too. I have quite a varied background and have continually added to my skills through the years. I am even trying to do that here but, because the economy is so bad in my state, many are trying to do much of this themselves so there is little demand. I am sure this is also somewhat the case in the UK, too. Thankfully, I can take on freelance work in any of these areas and I can do it from anywhere.

Like you, I would rather earn a little less and be happy in what I do

Last edited by windsong; Mar 16th 2013 at 11:23 am.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Swanage you say.

I found this one.

Great view.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37206179.html

then this

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...?premiumA=true

Last edited by cheers; Mar 16th 2013 at 2:54 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I will definitely seek out that magazine

Truth be told, I have already started a business in the entertainment industry. It is in the early, formative stages and not making money yet. Fortunately, I can run it from anywhere in the world. However, I haven't done much with it for a few months as I am so depressed about trying to find work here. The job market is terrible.

In spite of the business, I really would like to have another job when I get to the UK. I have lost so much ground here that I want to make the most of the working years I have left and save as much as I can. There's no reason I can't work and run the business as well, at least until the business makes such a good income I can truly afford to work only for myself (and my business partner) which is, of course, my goal.

My present thought is to get a job teaching in a further education college since I have the background for this.

I do have many skills that would allow me to do freelance work of many kinds, such as editing book drafts, graphic design, designing publications, promotional film-making and probably other things, too. I have quite a varied background and have continually added to my skills through the years. I am even trying to do that here but, because the economy is so bad in my state, many are trying to do much of this themselves so there is little demand. I am sure this is also somewhat the case in the UK, too. Thankfully, I can take on freelance work in any of these areas and I can do it from anywhere.

Like you, I would rather earn a little less and be happy in what I do
If you don't mind my asking Windsong, what subject would you be teaching?
Old Mar 16th 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by curleytops
If you don't mind my asking Windsong, what subject would you be teaching?
Business Education, Computing and Accounting (although I hate accounting!)

In the USA I am also qualified to teach English grammar and have done so; however, not in the UK - different standards.

Now that I think about it, I could probably teach English grammar in a further education college simply because I have a lot of experience teaching it in the USA.

I can also teach many different software programs.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 17th 2013 at 12:08 am.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

In the USA I am also qualified to teach English grammar and have done so; however, not in the UK - different standards.

Now that I think about it, I could probably teach English grammar in a further education college simply because I have a lot of experience teaching it in the USA.

Go for it
Old Mar 17th 2013, 1:42 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
First one is a park home (mobile home), with pitch fee of 150 pounds a month, including water and sewage. Nice view though!

I was in Swanage last summer, and it was as lovely as I remembered. It was a sunny day (the rain actually stopped)!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mallory
First one is a park home (mobile home), with pitch fee of 150 pounds a month, including water and sewage. Nice view though!

I was in Swanage last summer, and it was as lovely as I remembered. It was a sunny day (the rain actually stopped)!
229,000 GBP for a mobile home????? That's outrageous. They are cheap in the USA compared to this.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about teaching online? That way you could start now and be able to take it with you back to the UK as another source of income.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Have you thought about teaching online? That way you could start now and be able to take it with you back to the UK as another source of income.
Truthfully, I hadn't even thought of that. I would be very interested in doing this but I have NO idea what institutions to look at or how to get started.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Truthfully, I hadn't even thought of that. I would be very interested in doing this but I have NO idea what institutions to look at or how to get started.
Well, I was thinking you might do it privately, so you would be self-employed.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong, do you do resumes? I need someone to help me with mine and will pay you. You can PM if you want.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about Kent?

There are still some very good buys, not too far from the coast, and not too far from London?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.