British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Living in the Caribbean, pregnant and miserable (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/living-caribbean-pregnant-miserable-929022/)

Ellie4280 Nov 2nd 2019 4:44 pm

Living in the Caribbean, pregnant and miserable

We moved to Jamaica in July having just spent a year living in Kuwait which we all enjoyed as a family. Although restrictive we made good friends, a great beach club and daughter when to a great school where I also worked.
An opportunity came up for my husband to work in Jamaica with a great salary, so we decided to make the move and give it a try. We arrived in July and I fell
pregnant soon after we arrived.
My daughter started her new school and I’ve never felt so homesick or miserable. I don’t feel comfortable and have struggled to make friends as there is t much of an expat community. I’ve always worked, even when in Kuwait and now I have nothing to do other than food shop and pick my daughter up from school.
Culturally it’s so different, pronounce poverty and violence with most men carrying guns which I loathe the thought of. Even parents within the school which I have a major problem with. The school, although expensive and ‘the best’ is disorganised and defensive of any criticism or questions asked by parents.
We live in Kingston and there is so little for me to do that I’m pretty much staring at the walls during the week, although I’ve been proactive and started an online teaching course to keep me busy.
I want to prepare and get excited for our new arrival but I can’t as I just don’t want to be here. I want to be on our home, which is close to my family, nesting and feeling comfortable. Here I have a constant sense of being uncomfortable and every thought I have is about returning home to the UK. So much I dream about it all the time.
My husband completely understands why I’m not happy, however we have debts to pay and need some savings before we can all return. I literally hate it here.
We have agreed that I could potentially return next summer after I’ve had baby but would mean living with my parents until my husband follows a few months later to ensure we have enough money and he can secure a job in the UK.
I think he think a I might grow to like it, but I know how much I dislike it here and that won’t happen. Plus I’m going to be even more isolated when I’m at home by myself with a newborn.
I’m so homesick it hurts sometimes and I feel like I’m wishing my life away when I should be enjoying this special time.

tooboocoo Nov 3rd 2019 8:19 am

Re: Living in the Caribbean, pregnant and miserable

You're in a difficult situation, no two ways about it. Unfortunately, all I can suggest is 'chin up' and try to be positive, as hard as that may be. Things will get better.
It's unfortunate that you seem to have not seized the savings opportunity you had while both working - presumably well-paid jobs - in Kuwait.

scot47 Nov 3rd 2019 1:17 pm

Moving from Kuwait to Jamaica cannot have been easy. Many of us have made similar misatkes - I certainly have. Plan to get out when you can.

Ellie4280 Nov 3rd 2019 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12758362)
Moving from Kuwait to Jamaica cannot have been easy. Many of us have made similar misatkes - I certainly have. Plan to get out when you can.

We were kind of backed into a corner as my husband had lost his job in Kuwait and this was the job that came along so we had to take the opportunity. I now wish we had just gone back to the UK but financially this job was more lucrative as our accommodation and bills are paid for. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at least we’ve given it a go and I’ve been promised we can return to the UK next summer when we’re debt free so I’m trying to focus on that as a positive.

Ellie4280 Nov 3rd 2019 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by tooboocoo (Post 12758275)
You're in a difficult situation, no two ways about it. Unfortunately, all I can suggest is 'chin up' and try to be positive, as hard as that may be. Things will get better.
It's unfortunate that you seem to have not seized the savings opportunity you had while both working - presumably well-paid jobs - in Kuwait.

My husband was paid well but the cost of relocating, school fees etc meant we didn’t make as much progress as we would have liked before we left. I was a teaching assistant so didn’t earn much.

tooboocoo Nov 5th 2019 7:38 am

You relocated at your own cost? Oh dear...

Yorkey Nov 7th 2019 5:50 am

Hi.

I emigrated to australia got married to a kiwi kiwi and had my daughter within 2 years.

I really understand understand.

Keep talking. You are not alone. Thousands of women have experienced this and thousands will experience this.

I feel it I know.
😊🙏🌻🌻💜💜