Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:01 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Let's face it... Britain isn't so bad over all

Originally Posted by moggyalgarve
Now would not trust renting so many here have been ripped off renting out!! Just have to stick it out hope I get a buyer!! keep trying to think positive !!
Indeed. I wish you lots of luck!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

doc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
Hopefully in the Summer too, if we can have a baby, put in a new kitchen and ship the dog off back to the UK. I'm really looking forward to it and alredy applied for a part time post in a school. My husband will stay home for a few months and learn how to driveon the left and check out IT jobs, settle our little boy into school and stuff. It'll be costly but worth it I think.

And being a patient here right now is driving me nuts. Can the hospital stop me from having a home birth? My Mum is coming over and she was a midwife for 30 years......the hospital won't allow a birthing pool or a birthing ball etc.....pretty grim facilities! I had a c section 4 years ago so they say I'm too high risk. What do you think? And what are you doing in mid March?!!! Just joking.....I think....
If you were to opt for a home birth, the hospital cannot forbid it per se, but the health professionals involved can refuse to be involved. If you were to bring a midwife from somewhere else or indeed get your hubby to deliver the baby you can do whatever you want Re. the birthing ball, I think it's just a matter of health and safety and the fact that the hospital does not want to take the responsibility if you were to have an adverse incident on their property using your own equipment. Many NHS hospitals are the same, if not worse. Re. your risk level, anyone who has had a C section is at risk of uterine rupture, even if that risk is low. The docs / midwives are just doing their jobs in advising you of this, and once again, everyone is at risk of litigation / losing their professional licenses if anything were to go wrong. As a doctor, I always err on the side of caution....

Funny that you mention your hubby having to go for driving lessons in the UK.......I will need them too after driving an automatic car on the right for 4 years!!!

Good luck with the delivery and your move etc. I'm sure all will be smooth sailing.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:23 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by doc1
If you were to opt for a home birth, the hospital cannot forbid it per se, but the health professionals involved can refuse to be involved. If you were to bring a midwife from somewhere else or indeed get your hubby to deliver the baby you can do whatever you want Re. the birthing ball, I think it's just a matter of health and safety and the fact that the hospital does not want to take the responsibility if you were to have an adverse incident on their property using your own equipment. Many NHS hospitals are the same, if not worse. Re. your risk level, anyone who has had a C section is at risk of uterine rupture, even if that risk is low. The docs / midwives are just doing their jobs in advising you of this, and once again, everyone is at risk of litigation / losing their professional licenses if anything were to go wrong. As a doctor, I always err on the side of caution....

Funny that you mention your hubby having to go for driving lessons in the UK.......I will need them too after driving an automatic car on the right for 4 years!!!

Good luck with the delivery and your move etc. I'm sure all will be smooth sailing.
Thank you Doc. I don't want to jeopardise anybody's jobs especially my lovely midwives! I've done a new thread on the subject.....thanks again. I'm feeling better and a little more open to whatever happens today....although being a hormonal basket case that could all change in about an hour!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 4:26 pm
Lost in Space

Thank you Doc. I don't want to jeopardise anybody's jobs especially my lovely midwives! I've done a new thread on the subject.....thanks again. I'm feeling better and a little more open to whatever happens today....although being a hormonal basket case that could all change in about an hour!
And did you not have a license in the UK? Hilarious. My husband drove ina field once int he UK and was terrified. So funny.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

And did you not have a license in the UK? Hilarious. My husband drove ina field once int he UK and was terrified. So funny.
Haha, yes indeed I had a license in the UK but I am afraid that I've forgotten how to drive a manual on the left after driving an automatic on the right for the past 4 + years
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by doc1
Haha, yes indeed I had a license in the UK but I am afraid that I've forgotten how to drive a manual on the left after driving an automatic on the right for the past 4 + years
We should design warning plates for expats driving on the roads of Britain! Instead of L it could be EP.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:52 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We should design warning plates for expats driving on the roads of Britain! Instead of L it could be EP.
LOL! I did get some P plates they have here, for probationary, I think. So I could warn others I'm likely to be slow and odd behind the wheel, but we have so little reason to drive here that I've not even tried yet. I've always disliked distance driving, so I let my husband do that, because he quite likes it, given half way decent conditions.

Bev
Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:17 pm
Banned

boo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really niceboo meringue is just really nice

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
One thing that struck me about people who emigrate from Britain, is the incredibly high proportion who are abandoning their culture and lifestyle, burning their bridges with British shores, slating their country while singing the praises of a country they, in most cases, know jack about.

This is certainly true of people moving to Canada, as I did a few years ago. I've been overwhelmed with the frustration of living here and some of the ridiculous rules. For example having to do driving license here is a complete insult to any UK license holding Brit, whose driving instruction and test are far more comprehensive. I also firmly believe most other countries of the world have more courteous and skillful drivers. On a daily basis I see things on the road that both drive me insane and fill me with despair.

Like many, I used these forums to make a very important life-changing decision a few years ago. However actually living here is SO different to what you'd be led to believe, as I was. I find the cost of living in western canada unbearable compared with anywhere I lived in Britain. The cost of maintaining a home is no less, and food shopping considerably more. Buying a car here is a complete joke. Prices were 30-50% higher than the US in the day when the Loonie was on a par with US. Plus there's all the crazy add-on charges and the fact that dealers all charge full retail price. Nobody pays retail in Britain (unless they're completely stupid).

Here in BC, motor insurance is no less than a cartel, state run, money pit. I got scammed by them a few years ago when a government worker was driving illegally and collided into my vehicle. Because of state corruption I took the full wack for this. Prices are 2-3 times what you'd expect in Britain, and only after pimping your insurance cover to keep the costs at this level.

Yet despite this, speak to any Brit here and most will be slagging of their own country and singing the praises of where they moved to. There's a myth that lower salaries here are counteracted by much lower cost of living. Untrue. Salaries are lower but cost of living is far higher. Also unexpected costs are way higher meaning if you have a bad year, you'll end up bankrupting yourself very quickly.

One thing my few years here has given me, is far more respect for my own country. I wouldn't want it to change too much as I like it the way it is. One thing I would like is for Britain to take note of how other countries, not least Canada, treat immigrants. I am (allegedly) highly employable and yet still paid a small fortune and had to jump through many hoops to get my residency here. Almost all the bad things happening in Britain, and the state of the country is down to complete anarchy with immigration, allowing waves of benefits claiming Europeans from backward countries to sponge of us until it's not convenient for them any more. Probably starting to sound like a Daily Mail article but this is how I feel and many others share some of these feelings. One thing Canada does well is to make immigrants really work for and respect the privilege of moving to a new country. If only Britons could start being more defensive and protective of their culture and country.

Needless to say I do have plans to move back to Britain quite soon. I've recently gone through some family changes which need to be resolved prior to making this big decision. However I for one will have no regrets in moving back, and my experience living in Canada has only strengthened by loyalty to my culture and heritage.

Does anyone else share any of these sentiments?
I totally agree. I think the immigration thing has been a scam - making us Brits believe that Canada or Oz for that matter is a better place to be. Financially Canada is far worse than the UK, the wage is half and the cost of living is more, so we're worse off every month. We were told that Canadians were great outdoors people - only if they're using an engine - you never see their lazy asses going for a stroll - because you can't walk anywhere - it's too far to walk from one place to another out here.
We came over almost 5 years ago and I have never ever criticized the UK, I have always loved it and always will and whenever I mention it to Canadians they don't want to know - they just revolve around Tim Horton's (that yuk tasting liquid they call coffee). Real coffee cups (as in Europe) are only about 2" tall - so you don't get overloaded with caffeine!!!!
Can't wait to get back to the North West of England this summer
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by boo meringue
I totally agree. I think the immigration thing has been a scam - making us Brits believe that Canada or Oz for that matter is a better place to be. Financially Canada is far worse than the UK, the wage is half and the cost of living is more, so we're worse off every month. We were told that Canadians were great outdoors people - only if they're using an engine - you never see their lazy asses going for a stroll - because you can't walk anywhere - it's too far to walk from one place to another out here.
We came over almost 5 years ago and I have never ever criticized the UK, I have always loved it and always will and whenever I mention it to Canadians they don't want to know - they just revolve around Tim Horton's (that yuk tasting liquid they call coffee). Real coffee cups (as in Europe) are only about 2" tall - so you don't get overloaded with caffeine!!!!
Can't wait to get back to the North West of England this summer
I agree with you about the coffee...here in Vancouver it's Starbucks rather than Tim Hortons - much more pricey and not that great either. I have to say though that Vancouver people tend to be very outdoorsy....if it's not running in marathons, it's hiking up mountains, skiing etc.

I have had enough of being here too after 4 and a half years, and shall be heading back to London this Summer.

Good luck with your move home.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boo meringue
Financially Canada is far worse than the UK, the wage is half and the cost of living is more
Not my experience at all.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:46 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Boo, I'm really curious about where you are.

In some suburbs people drive everywhere because you have to to get anywhere, but it's the same in a British suburb, I think. I'm not picking at you, just wondering, because as with the UK, one bit of a country isn't going to represent the whole.

I've found a lot of urban Canadians are involved in some activity, whether it be sports, swimming, even things like old-timer hockey, or driving out for an occasional hike. They don't often have the choice of regularly walking to a high street of shops, but I wonder how many people in the UK do that anymore. We do, but we did that in Victoria, too. We always made sure to live where we could.

It may be the rural people who are more attached to their machines, as they really do need them to get anywhere. Trucks, skidoos etc.

Bev
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

God Adelaide is boring! What annoys me most about that is that it has so much POTENTIAL to be an exciting place to live.

It has great weather (albeit that it's not been very comfortable lately but that's unusual), fantastic beaches, and tons of land that could be used to create amazing tourist attrations.

It just lacks the confidence and imagination to go ahead and build these things. WHY?