British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Kitchen knives (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/kitchen-knives-880617/)

spouse of scouse Jul 18th 2016 8:46 pm

Kitchen knives

Yes, I know it's a strange subject :lol:

I'm after people's opinions on what constitutes a good brand of kitchen knives. I bought a set when I first arrived, I was so busy and virtually just bought the first reasonable looking ones I saw on Mr Google. They're absolute crap, I like my knives really sharp and these wouldn't cut a hot poo (not that I've tried that).

So I've been looking looking looking, and between German and Japanese, this type of steel and that type of forged, not to mention prices for a set ranging between 100 to well over 1,000 pounds - I'm stumped.

Has anyone bought a set of knives and been really impressed with them? What brand are they, are where did you buy them?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Editha Jul 19th 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Kitchen knives

I use Sabatier knives. Some of them are quite old, because I started collecting them about thirty years ago. They have different makers marks, but mostly Lion brand. I get them professionally sharpened every few years.

I also use a cheap set of serrated knives from IKEA, for slicing tomatoes, or skinning fish fillets.

Pulaski Jul 19th 2016 7:09 pm

I bought Mrs P a small set of Wusthöf knifes in a block and they are awesome - like a set of razors.

Mrs P had a beloved set of "Chicago Cutlery" kitchen knives, which she thought were pretty good, but it took her about two minutes of trying the Wusthof knives to realise her old set were junk.

The Wusthöf knives aren't only extremely sharp, they hold their edge well, and are easy to keep sharp with the sharpening steel.

In fact, I will be buying her a much larger set of Wusthof knives in a block, for Christmas - I think the largest "complete" set of their chef's knives is a 35 knife set. :)

Bud the Wiser Jul 19th 2016 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12006691)
I bought Mrs P a small set of Wusthöf knifes in a block and they are awesome - like a set of razors.

Mrs P had a beloved set of "Chicago Cutlery" kitchen knives, which she thought were pretty good, but it took her about two minutes of trying the Wusthof knives to realise her old set were junk.

The Wusthöf knives aren't only extremely sharp, they hold their edge well, and are easy to keep sharp with the sharpening steel.

In fact, I will be buying her a much larger set of Wusthof knives in a block, for Christmas - I think the largest "complete" set of their chef's knives is a 35 knife set. :)

If I bought my wife a set of knives for Christmas, I know where one of them would end up. !!!!

spouse of scouse Jul 19th 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks Editha and Pulaski, it's good to have a couple of brands to research - there's too much choice in the modern marketplace!

spouse of scouse Jul 19th 2016 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 12006877)
If I bought my wife a set of knives for Christmas, I know where one of them would end up. !!!!

In that case, don't even think about buying her a drill :lol:

BristolUK Jul 20th 2016 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser (Post 12006877)

So it'll be nutcrackers then?

Spacecake799 Jul 20th 2016 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12005788)
Yes, I know it's a strange subject :lol:

I'm after people's opinions on what constitutes a good brand of kitchen knives. I bought a set when I first arrived, I was so busy and virtually just bought the first reasonable looking ones I saw on Mr Google. They're absolute crap, I like my knives really sharp and these wouldn't cut a hot poo (not that I've tried that).

So I've been looking looking looking, and between German and Japanese, this type of steel and that type of forged, not to mention prices for a set ranging between 100 to well over 1,000 pounds - I'm stumped.

Has anyone bought a set of knives and been really impressed with them? What brand are they, are where did you buy them?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Global knives or Robert Welch. Both quite expensive up to a hundred pounds per knife but excellent quality.

spouse of scouse Jul 20th 2016 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12007626)
Global knives or Robert Welch. Both quite expensive up to a hundred pounds per knife but excellent quality.

Thanks Spacecake, I've had a look at Global, it's good to hear a recommendation other than their own. Haven't heard of Robert Welch, so that's on the research list too.

Sparkleydiva Jul 20th 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 12007626)

We have global knives. Bought them 10 years ago and have added to the set of 6 since then. They are outstanding. I even brought them back with me in the suitcase as we are still waiting for our container to arrive! Didnt want to have to waste money on rubbish while waitin. Worth every penny.

spouse of scouse Jul 20th 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva (Post 12007754)
We have global knives. Bought them 10 years ago and have added to the set of 6 since then. They are outstanding. I even brought them back with me in the suitcase as we are still waiting for our container to arrive! Didnt want to have to waste money on rubbish while waitin. Worth every penny.

Ta - an online kitchen store has a set of 7 global knives in a wood block, for just under 300 pounds. It's actually a good bargain when you consider how much they are individually, now I just have to stop humming an ha-ing, and click 'buy' :unsure:

Stormer999 Jul 20th 2016 9:51 pm

Unless you really know what you are buying stay well clear of the Sabatier title it is not a brand name and has been subject to many years of misuse and abuse. Buy from a reputable kitchen supply shop for the alloy steels used in knife manufacture move on quite quickly and newer and better combinations come to the fore so the reputable supplier can better meet your requirements and price range. ;)
Looking at your post forged German/Japanese indicates that you are already well on to the right track...;)

Mummy in the foothills Jul 20th 2016 9:56 pm

I have a drawer full of useless knives, I finally found some Victorinox made by the swiss army knife people so I'm told. I have three smallish ones, good for chopping veg cheese and small thing, I'll be getting some more serious ones at some point this year for meat carving. I found them on Amazon.
https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Pro...FYgK0wod2RkAeA

scrubbedexpat094 Jul 21st 2016 1:15 am

I have some Victorinox knives and 1 Sabatier. I got them back in 1983 when I was studying catering and hotel management at Manchester Poly and it's what the chefs there recommended. I've still got them today and they are still going strong. I shall invest in a few more new knives when we return to the UK. Not paying silly NZ prices!

Sparkleydiva, did you not have any problems carrying them in your suitcase?

Sparkleydiva Jul 21st 2016 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12007938)
I have some Victorinox knives and 1 Sabatier. I got them back in 1983 when I was studying catering and hotel management at Manchester Poly and it's what the chefs there recommended. I've still got them today and they are still going strong. I shall invest in a few more new knives when we return to the UK. Not paying silly NZ prices!

Sparkleydiva, did you not have any problems carrying them in your suitcase?

No none at all. I wrapped them in heavy duty bubblewrap and no one questionned it.