Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Old May 29th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm just visiting at the moment. I don't move back permanently for a couple of years. Although I'm staying in Sussex, I'm doing some walks in Kent. It's a nostalgia thing. I spent a lot of my childhood in Kent.

Yesterday I did a walk from Appledore over the Isle of Oxney and back. Absolutely beautiful. I'm envious of people who can afford to live there. A really nice house in that area is well beyond my price range. Ate lunch at the Ferry Inn. Very nice food, but eye-wateringly expensive: 26.80 for two courses.
Checked out the Ferry Inn and have to admit I'm not familiar with the Isle of Oxney though know of Appledore and Hamstreet for property on here. The problem is that they are indeed characterful areas but too close to Ashford so attractive to commuters who even inhabit as far down Romney Marsh as Dymchurch. Hence high house prices!

Menu prices are pretty typical for foodie pubs that offer no basic pub-grub these days I would think , maybe a pound high on the mains. It's what has become of pub food prices now that decent chefs have taken over pub and kitchen and Londoners or London-sized wallets have moved in and I would say that the Tenterden area is pretty affluent too and is well able to support its Waitrose..

The local pigeon with black pudding and bacon and then Oxney ale battered cod fillet with hand cut beef dripping chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce would have been fine for my budget, no dessert for 18GBP .

I admit I would feel I had missed out if I had passed on the Romney Marsh lamb.

The joke is that Kent is now fairly well endowed with excellent Michelin starred restaurants (Sportsman - Seasalter, Apicius - Cranbrook, West House - Biddenden) and you can eat a two course lunch in a couple of them for about what you paid for your two courses in an admittedly very decent pub restaurant though you won't get a pint to quench your thirst after the good walk unless you go to the Sportsman.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 29th 2012 at 10:46 am.
Old May 29th 2012, 12:52 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Checked out the Ferry Inn and have to admit I'm not familiar with the Isle of Oxney though know of Appledore and Hamstreet for property on here. The problem is that they are indeed characterful areas but too close to Ashford so attractive to commuters who even inhabit as far down Romney Marsh as Dymchurch. Hence high house prices!

Menu prices are pretty typical for foodie pubs that offer no basic pub-grub these days I would think , maybe a pound high on the mains. It's what has become of pub food prices now that decent chefs have taken over pub and kitchen and Londoners or London-sized wallets have moved in and I would say that the Tenterden area is pretty affluent too and is well able to support its Waitrose..

The local pigeon with black pudding and bacon and then Oxney ale battered cod fillet with hand cut beef dripping chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce would have been fine for my budget, no dessert for 18GBP .

I admit I would feel I had missed out if I had passed on the Romney Marsh lamb.

The joke is that Kent is now fairly well endowed with excellent Michelin starred restaurants (Sportsman - Seasalter, Apicius - Cranbrook, West House - Biddenden) and you can eat a two course lunch in a couple of them for about what you paid for your two courses in an admittedly very decent pub restaurant though you won't get a pint to quench your thirst after the good walk unless you go to the Sportsman.
A few years ago I met up with my children in Sevenoaks to clear out my mother's house. My son was living in Paris and my daughter in Oklahoma I think, so it was a real gathering of the clans. I suggested we drive over to a village about 5 miles away to a pub I remembered from 20 years earlier, we could have a pint or three and a bite to eat. The pub was still there.. looked the same from the outside.. but it was a high end restaurant now! Fortunately they still had decent beer. We ended up paying £120 or so for dinner for three.

I'm fairly sure it was the Snail in Stone Street.. was called something else when it was a pub..
Old May 29th 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
A few years ago I met up with my children in Sevenoaks to clear out my mother's house. My son was living in Paris and my daughter in Oklahoma I think, so it was a real gathering of the clans. I suggested we drive over to a village about 5 miles away to a pub I remembered from 20 years earlier, we could have a pint or three and a bite to eat. The pub was still there.. looked the same from the outside.. but it was a high end restaurant now! Fortunately they still had decent beer. We ended up paying £120 or so for dinner for three.

I'm fairly sure it was the Snail in Stone Street.. was called something else when it was a pub..
Was The Rose & Crown before and there was and still is the Padwell if you just want a beer, or three. But there's always rough cider in them there parts at The Golding Hop at Plaxtol.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 29th 2012 at 2:20 pm.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanRodson
Pomster you and your "friend" are exactly the kind of people that I mention in the closing statements of my speech. I do not care what the braindead, good for nothing twats in your area refer to it as. They are wrong. And can you not read? I have told you that "Middlesex" is no longer in any official addresses; we cannot use mind control to stop someone writing it on an envelope, we just ignore it, and if the person receiving it is anything like me they will ignore it too, so who have you written it for, yourself?! And what does "sometimes the 'London part of Kent' to differentiate from real Kent, but Kent all the same." mean? Well done, you have managed to commit the number one faux pas in any argument, contradicting yourself! If you want to know specifically "what is and is not in a county" do what I have done, write to and ask David Cameron, Boris Johnson and Queen Elizabeth (i.e. the people who run this damn country) where places such as Bromley etc. really are! They will all say the same thing. Considering they are in charge of the country, and the area, they are the only ones who have the right to say where or where not places are. I suppose that you are in denial that Israel exists as well?! I suppose one thing is true though, you can never underestimate the amazing stupidity of the general populous!

Take a look at this as well:

"http://edithsstreets.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/londonkent-boundary-cray-meets-darent.html", "http://edithsstreets.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/londonkent-border-westerham-hill.html"
You and your like are probably the reason the Royal Mail is in its death throws. You spend too much time worrying about things which don't matter.

IS it really important?
And I do not appreciate being called a twat by someone on a forum with a fixation on trivia
Old May 29th 2012, 11:04 pm
Banned

DanRodson is an unknown quantity at this point

Droidling, I am not mental, I’m just not a very nice person. And robin1234 it doesn’t matter what you think, as I said, people should just ignore you, as you do not really know what you are talking about! if you cannot understand what I have told you then you really are lost. Anyway, Please explain to me why you believe so whole-heartedly in the locations of these places?! If you want to see some more of my rants check out how I laid into the people at Ilford Town Talk.

Bo-Jangles I think that you are quite an ignorant individual, who has what they believe to be true and will not give in, even when they are completely and obviously wrong. In fact this video sums you up perfectly “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvSjiq1pLVY”.

And “general concensus”, (its consensus by the way, the guy can’t even spell correctly and expects people to listen to him, geez); up until the 16th century the “general concensus” was that the Earth was flat, or do you believe this to be true as well? And finally “where I THINK my friends and rellies live”, so you don’t truly know? Well I KNOW where they live, so it doesn’t matter where you THINK they live; knowledge beats belief any day of the week, any philosopher worth their salt will tell you that!

And thank you Sally I’d rather go out (or in, in this case) with a bang than a whimper!

Last edited by DanRodson; May 29th 2012 at 11:16 pm.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Droidling, I am not mental, I’m just not a very nice person. And robin1234 it doesn’t matter what you think, as I said, people should just ignore you, as you do not really know what you are talking about! if you cannot understand what I have told you then you really are lost. Anyway, Please explain to me why you believe so whole-heartedly in the locations of these places?! If you want to see some more of my rants check out how I laid into the people at Ilford Town Talk.

Bo-Jangles I think that you are quite an ignorant individual, who has what they believe to be true and will not give in, even when they are completely and obviously wrong. In fact this video sums you up perfectly “http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvSjiq1pLVY”.

And “general concensus”, (its consensus by the way, the guy can’t even spell correctly and expects people to listen to him, geez); up until the 16th century the “general concensus” was that the Earth was flat, or do you believe this to be true as well? And finally “where I THINK my friends and rellies live”, so you don’t truly know? Well I KNOW where they live, so it doesn’t matter where you THINK they live; knowledge beats belief any day of the week, any philosopher worth their sort will tell you that!

And thank you Sally I’d rather go out (or in, in this case) with a bang than a whimper!
I think you mean 'worth his salt' and you also mis-spelt populace as 'populous' in one of your rants.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Droidling, I am not mental, I’m just not a very nice person. And robin1234 it doesn’t matter what you think, as I said, people should just ignore you, as you do not really know what you are talking about! if you cannot understand what I have told you then you really are lost. Anyway, Please explain to me why you believe so whole-heartedly in the locations of these places?! If you want to see some more of my rants check out how I laid into the people at Ilford .. whimper!
But you didn't tell me anything so what was to understand? And what do you mean about you not being a nice person? Do you try to be not nice, or does it come naturally?
Old May 29th 2012, 11:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

up until the 16th century the “general concensus” was that the Earth was flat,
No it wasn't the general consensus, and hadn't been for around 2,000 years. Ignoramus.

I think we ought to call a troll alert on this guy.
Old May 29th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

I love the smell of troll in the morning
Old May 30th 2012, 2:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Carry on like this and you'll go out with my boot up your backside.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Carry on like this and you'll go out with my boot up your backside.
Be careful, Mr. Rod is liable to muster up his puerile & priapic fantasies .. boot/backside..
Old May 30th 2012, 2:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Droidling
Some people do get bent out of shape over trifling nonsense don't you think !!
One of the things I've noticed now that I'm back in the UK is that some people here get really upset about the oddest things.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
One of the things I've noticed now that I'm back in the UK is that some people here get really upset about the oddest things.
Postcode anoraks..
Hmm looks like the prevalence of Asperger's Syndrome is a lot higher in the UK than in the US.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_p...r%27s_Syndrome
I'm not going to spend any time compiling & explicating the data though .. not going to be obsessive about it..
Old May 30th 2012, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Solihull, there was a contigent of people who refused to accept it being changed from Warwickshire to Birmingham. I think the perception was that Warwickshire sounded posher or something. Anyway there were always letters in the local paper about it.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:58 pm
Banned

DanRodson is an unknown quantity at this point

robin1234 read that long explanation, it was kind of for everyone! And in answer to your other question, it is a bit of both really, I just like to feed off the anxiety and anguish of others, it makes me happy !

Editha I actually made a mistake with my historical event (at least I can actually admit to making them, which at least doesn’t make me a hypocrite, unlike certain members on this forum). I meant to say the Earth being at the centre of the Universe, and in that respect I am Copernicus, just not as civil.

Pollyana as I have already explained to BEVS, you cannot just simply remove me; do, and three more of me will appear. I am quite gifted at computer programming and hacking, it is kind of a past-time of mine, I have infected many other websites before yours! I have no friends, and no life. My life is just correcting peoples’ geographical misdemeanors (often in the rudest, most offensive and most horrible ways possible), Postcodes, and internet hacking , these are the only things that make me happy, (oh and seeing other people suffer as mentioned before, but at least two of these have the desired effect anyway ).

And Sally, these people are just the same as those in Outer London, pretentious. Honestly, is “poshness” some kind of British Obsession?! I bet if suddenly Warwickshire became gun, drugs, murder etc. capital of the UK and Birmingham had a massive reduction in these, they would soon start calling themselves Brummies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.