Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kent: so confused; no one seems to like any of the towns?

Originally Posted by jasey
sounds like a cunning plan. thanks for the advice and kindness, formula
You're welcome.

When I moved areas, I always rented for 6 months. It gave me a chance to see if I wanted to buy in that area and if not, easy access to drive to other villages and towns, to check those out at all times of day and night.

I agree about Margate. It looks good with it's golden beaches and it use to be good, but the last government decided to rehouse a lot of wayward boys to the area and Dreamland got burnt down. A lot of the shops on the seafront are now boarded up.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Most of the surrounding villages around there will be nice. It's not really my area though but I have friends who like those areas. Tunbridge Wells itself use to be nice, but it is a victim of it's own niceness and now too many people live there and the roads on a Saurday become one long traffic jam. Surrounding villages, if you drive, will be great. I like some of the costal towns too.

Take a drive around as Kent has good road networks. Stay in B&Bs all over Kent and talk to the locals and find an area you love. You will be spoilt for choice.
Tunbridge Wells seems lovely for a visit as it's so buzzing but maybe as you say it has got too crowded.

PS why am I humming 'Billericay Dickie'? It must be the reference to Thanet

Last edited by Sally Redux; Mar 27th 2012 at 6:09 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
I have always liked Canterbury but haven't visited in a while so it may have changed plus I have never lived there.

Whitstable always seems to be popular! I am sure there is somewhere in Kent for you if thats where you have your heart set on. Just stay away from Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs lol

Best of luck!!
Thanks so much! I'm starting to get a good feel for the areas people who've lived in Kent prefer, and your suggestions are helpful in painting a clear picture of which areas to focus on. Can't wait to get there and see for myself
Old Mar 28th 2012, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasey
Thanks so much! I'm starting to get a good feel for the areas people who've lived in Kent prefer, and your suggestions are helpful in painting a clear picture of which areas to focus on. Can't wait to get there and see for myself

You're all making me feel quite homesick and I am very envious of your trip to the Garden of England and I'm sitting here going, oh yes I had forgotten about Eynsford and all those lovely places that we used to potter about on a weekend.

If you get the chance to do some walking when you are there, get a little book from WHSmiths or similar bookshop of local walks and trails, usually plan to end with lunch at the village pub.

I was wondering Jasey where you are moving from or have lived in the past, it would be good to have some mark of the differences and similarities you might face.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 28th 2012 at 6:00 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

jasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond reputejasey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You're all making me feel quite homesick and I am very envious of your trip to the Garden of England and I'm sitting here going, oh yes I had forgotten about Eynsford and all those lovely places that we used to potter about on a weekend.

If you get the chance to do some walking when you are there, get a little book from WHSmiths or similar bookshop of local walks and trails, usually plan to end with lunch at the village pub.

I was wondering Jasey where you are moving from or have lived in the past, it would be good to have some mark of the differences and similarities you might face.
Sorry! Where are you living currently Bo-Jangles?

I've got so many books about London and wildlife and walks and day trips that I could read for four plane trips and back. Though none specific to Kent just yet - but that's something that I'll be changing very soon, now that I've had the feedback in this thread.

I currently live in South Africa. I've visited London a few times and loved it more each time I've returned. Considered moving to Australia a while back because it's much easier visa wise, but realised that I'd always live there still wanting to go to where my heart really lies: England.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

That's cool at least you have some good idea about what to expect when you get to the UK. So many people, myself included, shift around the world expecting the grass to be greener and living with some big compromises and varying degrees of disappointment.

I am in Auckland (NZ); we have lots of your fellow South Africans around these parts. Sometimes in I could be mistaken for thinking I arrived in SA when I hear the accents and much Afrikaans being spoken around me.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

@Bo-Jangles - I'd be interested to know where you lived in the UK, and what led to your decision to move to New Zealand? I have NO DOUBT that you hear loads of South African accents around town ... I know of so many people who are leaving or planning to leave. And for most of them, the weather and lifestyle in Australia and New Zealand are the deciding factors for them to move there.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I lived around and about South East / London / Kent borders for many years before coming to NZ. Like many we just got a bit fed up with the rat race and fancied a change, so by powers of deduction, wanting to be English speaking and chances of us getting permanent residency visas we found ourselves in NZ.

Never really considered Aussie a real contender because of heat and beasty things waiting to eat us for breakfast. NZ climate isn't that great and not much different to the UK, aside from less harsh winters where we are, in the North. But houses here aren't built to our robust UK standards and don't have much in the way of heating or insulation and double glazing is a rarity, so we find it more of an effort and certainly more expensive to keep warm.

So many South Africans are torn and that their hearts desire would rather be in South Africa, but sadly don't feel that being 'home' is an option. Despite the old stereotypes we and many other British expats that we know in NZ feel that we have much more in common with South Africans than we do with Kiwis.

I don't often look in on this section, but I am glad I recently did as it is so refeshing to hear such positivity being spoken for the UK and places I know, because all we get to hear is the downsides and negativity on Expats forums, generally from those yet to leave.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Eynsford hasn't really changed, except they have put a roof on the Roman Villa
Old Mar 28th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

I grew up in Thanet as well so would agree with all that's been said. Although I believe Margate has now bottomed out and re-investment in the area is not far off. (Turner Contemporary,Broadstairs Uni etc). There are some nice spots on the edges of Thanet (Minster,Birchington,Sarre,Sandwich,Deal) but the commuting time would be a no-go.
North Kent - lived in Erith for a while so everywhere else seemed like Mecca. Definitely keep clear of Dartford and Gravesend,Medway towns,Sheppey.
Always really liked Westerham,Sevenoaks,Tonbridge,Eynsford,(Shoreham is to die for !) but like you say most likely too pricey.
So the reality is probably somewhere between the two - Maidstone,Canterbury,Faversham ? Whitstable house prices have gone ballistic as the London trendies have bought their 2nd homes there.
Another curse of the ex-expat I found that when you return from your travels the places you grew up in or spent large amounts of time in don't do it for you anymore. Over-familiarity ? A sense of failure at being back at where you started ? Wanderlust ? Strange possibly but true nonetheless for me,Kent's got a lot going for it but for that reason alone I couldn't live there again. Best of luck
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if anybody has mentioned Faversham and the surrounding area, but I visit friends there and it's lovely .

Good luck.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keelif
Hi,

I am from Kent, Planet Thanet unfortunately and would definately advise to stay clear. Even once charming Broadstairs has become very rundown and is no longer what it once was.

Just stay away from Margate, Ramsgate and Broadstairs lol

Best of luck!!
Now if you were a real Thanetian, you would know it was spelt as Fannit.

I was there at the weekend and am always pleased to leave, even though a couple of lovely friends and some family members have been trapped there...
Old Mar 29th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

I lived around and about South East / London / Kent borders for many years before coming to NZ. Like many we just got a bit fed up with the rat race and fancied a change, so by powers of deduction, wanting to be English speaking and chances of us getting permanent residency visas we found ourselves in NZ.

I don't often look in on this section, but I am glad I recently did as it is so refeshing to hear such positivity being spoken for the UK and places I know, because all we get to hear is the downsides and negativity on Expats forums, generally from those yet to leave.
You seem to still have a love for the region. Any chance of you guys ever moving back or are your roots now happily in NZ? Do you miss the cultural aspects and history of England at all?

I'm really glad you looked here too - otherwise I wouldn't have had your replies!

Originally Posted by Droidling
I grew up in Thanet as well so would agree with all that's been said. Although I believe Margate has now bottomed out and re-investment in the area is not far off. (Turner Contemporary,Broadstairs Uni etc). There are some nice spots on the edges of Thanet (Minster,Birchington,Sarre,Sandwich,Deal) but the commuting time would be a no-go.
North Kent - lived in Erith for a while so everywhere else seemed like Mecca. Definitely keep clear of Dartford and Gravesend,Medway towns,Sheppey.
Always really liked Westerham,Sevenoaks,Tonbridge,Eynsford,(Shoreham is to die for !) but like you say most likely too pricey.
So the reality is probably somewhere between the two - Maidstone,Canterbury,Faversham ? Whitstable house prices have gone ballistic as the London trendies have bought their 2nd homes there.
Another curse of the ex-expat I found that when you return from your travels the places you grew up in or spent large amounts of time in don't do it for you anymore. Over-familiarity ? A sense of failure at being back at where you started ? Wanderlust ? Strange possibly but true nonetheless for me,Kent's got a lot going for it but for that reason alone I couldn't live there again. Best of luck
Thanks very much! Canterbury and Maidstone are at the very top of my list, with a bit of a gap between them. But it's really good to have these extra options close by, so thank you!

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Not sure if anybody has mentioned Faversham and the surrounding area, but I visit friends there and it's lovely .

Good luck.
Cool, Droidling agrees with you! On the list now, thanks
Old Mar 29th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are good and bad areas in any town. I have lived in Folkestone for the past year and for the most part have been happy. The shopping could be better but anything I can't find I just order online. Arthritis has been a bit of a problem for me that has worsened since I moved here and if its an issue you might want to think twice about coastal areas. Hiccups aside I like the area I live in (the Leas) with lots of park area, footpaths and beach right outside the door but that being said, sadly there are some shall we say "undesireable" areas and you don't have to go too far to find them.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pomster
Now if you were a real Thanetian, you would know it was spelt as Fannit.

I was there at the weekend and am always pleased to leave, even though a couple of lovely friends and some family members have been trapped there...
Lol, It must be because I was lucky enough to move away (escape)

I am back down for a trip to 'Fannit' in a couple of weeks and I'm the same as you, I love seeing friends and family but I am always pleased to leave again

All of my family are there and being as I am the only one to move away they see it as my obligation to always be the one who visits, except my Mum bless her who comes here every three months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.