Keep UK bank account open!

Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep UK bank account open!

Originally Posted by ally2yana
hi,

Marmalade mentioned Abbey National was happy sending account statements to an overseas address.I am planning to keep a UK bank account open while
I am in Edmonton,but I am with Barclays.Has anyone had any similar experience with Barclays ? is so can you share yuor experience..

thanks
I have bank accounts, building society accounts and credit cards in the UK...they all send correspondence to my US address.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:22 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We have accounts with LloydsTSB, Co-Operative Bank, Nationwide and and a Credit Card with Goldfish, also Premium Bonds.

All of them send correspondence here to Spain.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oldbag
Ah - but were you able to provide proof of where you live? That's the key......being able to tie yourself to an address, metaphorically speaking, as well as proving who you are. You can open an account with as little as £1 as long as you satisfy the list of criteria. This applies to banks and building societies in England.......not sure about Scotland, but I suspect it would be the same.
As to the taxman being interested.....not sure as it's never been an issue with OH and me as we didn't have an income from the UK whilst living in Canada.
Strangely, although similar safeguards are in place in Canada (I used to work for Scotiabank and did all the anti-money laundering courses, so understand the whys and wherefores), we didn't have to provide proof of address.....just proof of the source of funds.
i am still in the uk..trying to leave and i as a uk citizen for 56 years cant just open a bank account with anyone...and if you are in debt forget it...
banks do not want your business...
post office accounts have all been closed by ther government..you can only get a post office account now if you are on benifits...as there are no debts, no credit at all..
if you are on benefits you can open a basic account at some banks..but you have to get the benifits in the first place...

its all swings and roundabouts here..
carole

what is interesting thread this is..
Old Sep 21st 2008, 8:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
i am still in the uk..trying to leave and i as a uk citizen for 56 years cant just open a bank account with anyone...and if you are in debt forget it...
post office accounts have all been closed by ther government..you can only get a post office account now if you are on benifits...as there are no debts, no credit at all..
if you are on benefits you can open a basic account at some banks..but you have to get the benifits in the first place...

carole

Haven't got a clue what you are on about.

I opened three different bank accounts in the UK shortly before I left.

Why can't you open an account

G
Old Sep 21st 2008, 9:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole

carole

Think you will find Carole you can open bank accounts nearly anywhere whether it be the UK or another country. You told me that you were moving to Spain soon, well here you can have as many bank accounts as you want with very minimal deposits. I imagine this is the same in most other countries as well whether you have got debts or not.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 10:43 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Think you will find Carole you can open bank accounts nearly anywhere whether it be the UK or another country. You told me that you were moving to Spain soon, well here you can have as many bank accounts as you want with very minimal deposits. I imagine this is the same in most other countries as well whether you have got debts or not.
Alot of Banks in the Uk........do credit checks and want previous bank statements................And you dont have to have bad credit to have a bad credit history in the UK...................A slow payer rather then a reluctant payer will have a bad credit score

Of course if you have a pile of money.....or.....businesses thats a different story.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 12:47 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Every bank in the UK is obliged to allow you to have a basic bank account (may not have an overdraft limit or a debit card) even if you are in debt and even if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Apparently the Co-Op Bank is particularly helpful in this area.

So I don't know why madcarole can't open one.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 4:14 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Every bank in the UK is obliged to allow you to have a basic bank account (may not have an overdraft limit or a debit card) even if you are in debt and even if you are an undischarged bankrupt. Apparently the Co-Op Bank is particularly helpful in this area.

So I don't know why madcarole can't open one.
I tried opening a savings account at Nat West and they did a credit search and wanted 6 mths statements from my other bank.............I also had a savings account at the Lloyds TSB and i asked if i could open a currant account, so OH's wages could go in, but because i was not working at the time i was refused..........Both of the above was around 2 yrs ago.
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:05 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sans
I tried opening a savings account at Nat West and they did a credit search and wanted 6 mths statements from my other bank.............I also had a savings account at the Lloyds TSB and i asked if i could open a currant account, so OH's wages could go in, but because i was not working at the time i was refused..........Both of the above was around 2 yrs ago.
Banks can be annoying - they had no raisin to refuse you....
Old Jan 25th 2009, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

I am really worried/confused now after reading this thread. I was under the impression that if you are a British Citizen you should never have problems coming back and dealing with things like new bank accounts etc.. I am planning to keep my bank accounts open anyway but just wanted someone to clarify if there are any other rights you lose becoming a permanent resident in Canada. I always felt comfortable with the idea of moving as I thought I can always come back. So does that mean you will have major probs if you wanted to come back after a year or 2 to buy a house in London? I do not have my own house in London but would like to think, if I decide to come back I will not have loads of problems if I wanted to purchase.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

we are moving back to uk some time this year when house sells.went over to uk in june for 6 weeks poened a bank account with bank of scotland.only able to open basic account as not in country.had bank statements showing good savings in high interest account with bankwest. bankwest is/ was part of bank of scotland .anyhoo had bank statements,utility bills,passports etc and was told to get on electoral roll when we do move over, (get credit rating) bet it will be different when we transfer house sale funds into the account!!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerinaK2008
I am really worried/confused now after reading this thread. I was under the impression that if you are a British Citizen you should never have problems coming back and dealing with things like new bank accounts etc.. I am planning to keep my bank accounts open anyway but just wanted someone to clarify if there are any other rights you lose becoming a permanent resident in Canada. I always felt comfortable with the idea of moving as I thought I can always come back. So does that mean you will have major probs if you wanted to come back after a year or 2 to buy a house in London? I do not have my own house in London but would like to think, if I decide to come back I will not have loads of problems if I wanted to purchase.
You can't use the NHS if you're not a UK resident.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Yes, but if KerinaK2008 moves back she becomes a UK citizen immediately upon entry (invoking the "right of abode") and therefore is allowed to utilize NHS.