Keep UK bank account open!

Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:14 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep UK bank account open!

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I always end up scratching my head when I read these threads. I totally agree with OB it is best to keep UK account open.. BUT.. When i came back last year after several years out of the country I walked into Lloyds TSB and opened a fully functioning current account with small overdraft in a matter of 30 mins and all i deposited was a £5 note!!

I think it depends where you go and what mood the staff are in LOL
I did the same thing a few years back. I had my UK drivers license, passport and a couple of bankers checks from my US bank in US funds. I was done in no time and had a checking account and overdraft right away. I have kept that open now I'm in US again and will keep it open as I use the funds when we go on holiday.
I also have the Barclaycard to go with the account and use it once in a blue moon, maybe thats why they have never closed the account or frozen it when I try to draw money out when on holiday.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Aug 28th 2008 at 4:20 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

lisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant futurelisajhb has a brilliant future

Thanks scampicat for the sympathy. As you can imagine we are very cross. The problem was, as far as I can make out, that barclays wanted to close my account because they were suspicious about money laundering. Apparently clamping down on anything that looks odd. As I hadnt used it for a year they didnt want to know. So yes, use your cards regularly, and keep using them. As for the rest of the bodge ups like sending back my money, twice, and leaving me in the red for thousands, well, the saga continues. All very frustrating. Has anyone else had problems getting debit cards by the way, from any bank or building society, without an official salary? We have been told that they dont really look at how much cash you are waving around, but at the simple fact of if you have a regular salary or not.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:56 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has no 'salary', but he has his Teachers' Pension going into one (Co-Op) account and his Incapacity Benefit into the other (Lloyd's TSB), so I suppose they can see a regular income there.

My only income is the rent I get from my UK house, most of which goes towards paying for insurances, gas certificates, maintenance and other sundries. This is paid straight into the Lloyd's TSB joint account I have with my son (so that he can access it as well as me if he needs anything for the house).

I've never had any trouble getting cards or any other services; maybe the fact that there is a regular amount, no matter how small, going into the account, makes a difference.

Edited to add : I've just remembered, three years ago First Direct 'encouraged' us to close an account we had with them and never used. We closed it.

Again, I think this shows that it is best to keep an account open AND USE IT. (Even if you only put some money into it at the beginning of the month and at the end of the month take it out again).

Last edited by scampicat; Aug 28th 2008 at 9:04 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Just came across this thread, I have read it all but thought I'd share our experience of opening bank accounts. Luckily I still had a UK account open but my OH wanted an account of his own and as we were staying with my parents he had no proof of address, so the lady from the bank actually made a house call just to verify that we did live there.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oldbag
A word of warning to any of you thinking of making the Big Leap away from the UK.....keep a UK bank account open. Why, if you're leaving? Because you just never know when the homing instinct will kick in and you get the urge to come back. Okay, so some of you never will return, but for those who do, trying to open a bank account is a nightmare. Fortunately Mr Oldbag and I kept one going....if we hadn't I honestly don't know how we would have transferred our funds back from Canada. All banks and building societies have to comply with such rigorous rules regarding identity, it makes it difficult if you cannot provide proof of who you are and where you live. Proving who you are isn't so bad......a passport will do that, but it's the address thing that can prove awkward. So my advice would be to keep an account open, even if it's only got £5 in it.....it'll save a lot of frustration later IF you come back.

An afterthought.....maybe this should be posted in the other forums for people to see before leaving the UK! Maybe there should be a forum called Before You Leave The UK......how about it?
And, for those of us with Premium Bonds, keeps the National Savings informed. You may be due for an early retirement.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:34 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, Premium Bonds!

Make sure you inform National Savings of your Spanish address.

We have won several small prizes since coming to live in Spain, NSI have sent a warrant (like a cheque) to our Spanish address.

I either then send it straight back again to Lloyds TSB with a paying-in slip (a signed letter with your bank account details on would do if you don't have any of these), or if we have visitors, they take it back with them and pay it into their local branch of LTSB for me.

You don't want to miss out!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:44 pm
Ex Expat

Another thing to remember : if you have an ISA with a UK bank, you are allowed to keep it open and keep it's tax-free status. You can accrue interest on the account and draw money out of it BUT due to tax restrictions are not allowed to pay any more in while you are not resident in the UK.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Can I just ask, is it legal to keep a UK bank account open if you're living overseas? I assume you give them your overseas address and that's ok?
Old Sep 4th 2008, 11:55 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Can I just ask, is it legal to keep a UK bank account open if you're living overseas? I assume you give them your overseas address and that's ok?
Yes it is quite legal, and yes, that is all I did.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:15 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi i kept all mine open, i even used my debit card while in Canada...........What i didn't and should of done, was use a care of address in the UK for statements. And i say that because now i am back , i am having problems with resent credit history. Apparently if i had of used a Uk address it would of been Ok................
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

ally2yana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scampicat
Another thing to remember : if you have an ISA with a UK bank, you are allowed to keep it open and keep it's tax-free status. You can accrue interest on the account and draw money out of it BUT due to tax restrictions are not allowed to pay any more in while you are not resident in the UK.
Hi scampi

Just to clarify you mentioned we can keep an ISA account opened and accrue interest but If I decided to withdraw it means I have to come back to UK?
I am sure online banking does not let me withdraw funds from my ISA account.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 10:54 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by ally2yana
Hi scampi

Just to clarify you mentioned we can keep an ISA account opened and accrue interest but If I decided to withdraw it means I have to come back to UK?
I am sure online banking does not let me withdraw funds from my ISA account.

They might transfer funds into your overseas Account (or another UK account) by Bank Transfer if they have phone banking service that you can do the request with; other than that if you write them a signed letter they will probably send you a cheque, but it will almost certainly be in sterling.

I was in the UK on the one occasion I withdrew anything from mine.

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 18th 2008 at 11:11 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is legal, as I have had a bank account with the Abbey National the entire time I have been living in the US. I just gave them my US address and they forward any correspondence on to me here.

It is so much easier when I go back home to visit to have a bank account I can use while in the country.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I use my mother UK address, so my statements go there. I think I may change it to paperless and do it all online though.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

ally2yana is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

Marmalade mentioned Abbey National was happy sending account statements to an overseas address.I am planning to keep a UK bank account open while
I am in Edmonton,but I am with Barclays.Has anyone had any similar experience with Barclays ? is so can you share yuor experience..

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.