Keep chasing dreams or move back?

Old Aug 24th 2015, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keep chasing dreams or move back?

Originally Posted by britwhore
Good for you!!!!! I know that feeling of moving back well (I lived there for 12 years!) So much excitement but a lot of worry!!!

You should be able to open a bank account really easily. You can always wait until you move back and then transfer the money from the US using a company like xetrade.com and then close the US account.

Good luck with everything. You can always take a screenwriting course - you don't need an MA. I work in the industry (film) and every writer I've ever met has said that a degree in writing was pointless. You need to learn how to work within structure but you don't need to spend thousands of dollars (or pounds) on a degree in it.

Here's to the next chapter!
BW,
Have you had any work since you moved back to the UK?
Cheers
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Summer was pretty quiet but I've booked a couple things! Only been back since end of February so not too bad.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

So far, not so good

Been back a week and I hate it. It's cold and miserable & I've sunk into depression (I am seeking help for that), so I don't really trust my decisions at the moment.

I went out for a reunion with friends but they've all moved on and more importantly I've changed.

If I need to make new friends here then I should have stayed where I was!

I do feel I'm on a tight deadline now if I do want to move back, to find another job in the U.S. before I lose my green card.

I really wish I'd have taken people's advice and took a holiday rather than completely selling up.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
So far, not so good

Been back a week and I hate it. It's cold and miserable & I've sunk into depression (I am seeking help for that), so I don't really trust my decisions at the moment.

I went out for a reunion with friends but they've all moved on and more importantly I've changed.

If I need to make new friends here then I should have stayed where I was!

I do feel I'm on a tight deadline now if I do want to move back, to find another job in the U.S. before I lose my green card.

I really wish I'd have taken people's advice and took a holiday rather than completely selling up.
A week isn't long, is it? You haven't mentioned your parents and the other relatives you talked about. And the weather...is that a surprise? And what about watching football in the pubs? It sounds like you have forgotten the reasons you went back.

You just sound overtired and stressed out. Give yourself a chance to re-acclimate.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely give it more than a week. The weather has been terrible but we've been hit by the tail end of a tropical storm (or something....wasn't 100% listening to the weatherman!) You've been hit with homesickness. It happens to us all. Your friends will have moved on but it takes more than a week to reconnect with them.

Take some time. Go see family, go watch football at the pub. Give yourself time!
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Having moved a few times in my life, I remember some advice given to me that you should allow yourself at least six months to adapt to a new location. How you are presently feeling is quite normal as there can be a sense of loss when one moves from one country to another. Focus on the positive for now and 'count your blessings'. Hopefully in time you will feel more settled.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 11:26 am
Account Closed

An update on this.

I've been back in the UK for 5 weeks and just can't settle back in. My friends have all gone their own ways and I miss certain things in California. I ended up spending most days and nights alone in the bedroom I grew up in at my parents house.

Now I feel like I'm in limbo. After being offered my old job back in California, I decided to give it another go. This time focusing more on socializing now that I know 'the grass is greener back home' is a myth.

The problem is my parents. I've really hurt them both by saying I was moving back. My dad is upset but holding it in, and my mom verbally attacking me saying I'm worthless and will never amount to anything. I'm sure it's just the hurt talking but it affects me deeply.

So now, I'm holed up in a hotel alone, waiting for my flight back to the US tomorrow, with no idea what's the right path, and completely upset about my parents.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 9:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
An update on this.

I've been back in the UK for 5 weeks and just can't settle back in. My friends have all gone their own ways and I miss certain things in California. I ended up spending most days and nights alone in the bedroom I grew up in at my parents house.

Now I feel like I'm in limbo. After being offered my old job back in California, I decided to give it another go. This time focusing more on socializing now that I know 'the grass is greener back home' is a myth.

The problem is my parents. I've really hurt them both by saying I was moving back. My dad is upset but holding it in, and my mom verbally attacking me saying I'm worthless and will never amount to anything. I'm sure it's just the hurt talking but it affects me deeply.

So now, I'm holed up in a hotel alone, waiting for my flight back to the US tomorrow, with no idea what's the right path, and completely upset about my parents.
So this is news to you, you're worthless and won't amount to anything? That's what parents are for, to point that out. I loved my parents but it was only when they both died that I was liberated from this.

Anyway, remember to pack the hotel soap and shampoo, good flight, welcome back to the U.S.!
Old Oct 10th 2015, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
So this is news to you, you're worthless and won't amount to anything? That's what parents are for, to point that out. I loved my parents but it was only when they both died that I was liberated from this.

Anyway, remember to pack the hotel soap and shampoo, good flight, welcome back to the U.S.!
Thank you. That gave me a little bit of perspective. I always think these things only happen to me.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 9:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Thank you. That gave me a little bit of perspective. I always think these things only happen to me.
They don't. We do it to our kids all the time. It's fun.
Old Oct 10th 2015, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Dek, I do hope things work out for you. You are young and free. Make the most of this time. If it does not work out, you can always come back. That is what freedom is. It is not that you are worthless and will never amount to anything! I would never let my children think that! Your parents are hurt but they will get over it. We cannot hold on to our children forever. We have to let then fly! All the best to you. I believe in fate anyway. What will be be, will be. But we also have a choice to be happy, so be happy!
Old Oct 10th 2015, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyf67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Dek, you have to chase your dreams that is what life is about. My lovely sister has her 2 children in NZ and Australia (we're in the UK), their lives are brilliant there - she's so selfless she wants her kids to be happy never would she make them feel bad, but plenty of people comment before engaging their brain ("my children would never leave me" etc) - why, because they are too frightened to upset them - our children are lent to us. Your mum is sad, she'll come round. You are worthy and a good person. Life moves on and happiness is what it's about. Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
They don't. We do it to our kids all the time. It's fun.
Off-topic:

Novo why is your tagline in German? Or is that a form of deep-Geordie?
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Off-topic:

Novo why is your tagline in German? Or is that a form of deep-Geordie?
No, it is in fact German. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I think Pendelfahrer is a wonderful word.
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:26 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to see Die Entführung aus dem Serailat Glyndebourne this afternoon. I like Entführung.

Last edited by Editha; Oct 11th 2015 at 12:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.