Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by cricket1
I am baffled about one thing. When i was young I didn't drink, go clubbing or smoke because I didn't have the money. How come you all did??? In truth, i was working and saving like crazy to pull myself up by the boots from my poverty stricken upbringing.
Just for the record, I never got pregnant, took drugs or got into trouble with the police. Neither did my kids. They went to a 'reality' schoool with a catchment area on the outskirts of Northampton, wonderful place by the way (not) of the roughest and the toughest as well as the nicest. My children grew up also without ending up in any trouble.

Now, where's my sword. Haven't a clue where that bloody Dogtanian has got to.
Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
And look how well you have done for it. A credit to your family
thank you darling, i am scarred to this day x
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Your not from Essex are you?
no. kent.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Family5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricket1
Publicans and licencees will not risk their livelihood to serve alcohol to minors. In a rural situation, the risk is doubled by bored police officers who have nothing else to do but catch anyone flouting the laws. In towns and cities, the police are told to reduce incidences by creating a presence because quite frankly, they don't want the paperwork and there isn't room in the lock ups for offenders. The fines are so huge that no publican wants to be totally ruined. It's not the pubs that cause the problem. It's the availability of alcohol elsewhere such as clubs and off licenses.

As far as social problems go, what, you think we can all avoid them by choosing a nice place to live??? Do you know that thousands of good people like nurses, teachers, paramedics, health care workers, supermarket cashiers, bank tellers, social workers, psychiatric carers, orderlies, midwives, council workers, roadsweepers, the list goes on all have to live in sink estates because thats all they can afford. Do you know where their wages dictate they live? In those underclass areas that Ezzie is desperate to avoid because she thinks that they are full of cheating, lying benefit claiming mongrels who steal from the system to get their next fix rather than be good parents to their children?
I grew up in underclass Britain. My parents were poor and at times they had to resort to the dole. Have you any idea how it feels to be looked down upon as a child having to go to a middle class school but being beaten up every day because you were perceived as not good enough because your parents were regarded as the 'underclass' because they were claiming the dole?

Do you know how it feels for any child that is born into a hopeless situation because they can't help their parents but they have to take the blame for it anyway? Have you got any scrap of sensitivity towards the poor kids of modern day Britain who are creating the social problems but didn't actually cause them? They are just victims of society and bad parents?

Ezzie would make a brilliant politician. She could live in her ivory tower and she could run off and escape most problems as most politicians do preferring a weekend at Chequers or some equally far removed hideaway.

I am glad and sad every time I read about another child battering in the UK because if this doesnt smack us all in the face with 'hello, we all need to stop looking in the other direction, but that's Ok because we can just get on a plane and head off to Australia where the sun shines all day and it's far better than Britain, so that makes everything OK'.

Today, I am far beyond my early upbringing of sheer misery of my fathers drinking, breaking my mothers arms in a blind rage and me being the eldest, having to be mother to six brothers and sisters when both my parents were too stoned to care. That was my reality. I've never forgotten it but I have grown beyond it and succeeded in life because I refused to be written off by the likes of people like Ezzie who could spend a few weeks in a country presiding over how she percieves the differences of those who have and those who nothing for a reality TV programme.

I don't care if Ezzie want to make comparisons between the many faces of Britain or how they may conflict with or suit her ideals. What amazes me is how she seems to think they are exclusive to the UK and comes up with a term such as the 'underclass' and then uses the suggestion that 15 years olds are allowed to drink alcohol when it's anything but the truth.

This statement in itself is a direct contradiction to all those problem communities who do have problems but are trying to sort them out through community leaders, government programmes and every decent charity worker who sees the problem, acknowledges it, doesn't run away or condemn the whole community but gets stuck in and tries to fix it.
I am one of those people and I take exception to Ezzie using Britains social problems to measure her own success in life against those who never stood a chance anyway.

Oh and Northernbird, SHUT UP!
An excellent, thoroughly enjoyable read created by Izzie that sadly is now being (attempted)hijacked and deliberately ruined by an insignificant, ill informed and insensitive few. Not for the first time have I observed this selfish, immature, single minded and unevidenced diatribe trailed out in response to broad based, balanced articles that in essence say it as it is. An appalling demonstration of limited communication skill in particular the lack of respect and consideration given to other peoples entitlement to a view/opinion. This activity devalues the the significant benefit such forums bring to individuals/families who are seriously researching with a view to making informed decisions about their futures in the context of emigrating.
This post is not intended to further detract from from IZZIES thread. I have no intention of commenting or contributing further. IZZIE we wish you well and thank you for all your informative, well written, well balanced and well intentioned 'reports'.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:15 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family5
An excellent, thoroughly enjoyable read created by Izzie that sadly is now being (attempted)hijacked and deliberately ruined by an insignificant, ill informed and insensitive few. Not for the first time have I observed this selfish, immature, single minded and unevidenced diatribe trailed out in response to broad based, balanced articles that in essence say it as it is. An appalling demonstration of limited communication skill in particular the lack of respect and consideration given to other peoples entitlement to a view/opinion. This activity devalues the the significant benefit such forums bring to individuals/families who are seriously researching with a view to making informed decisions about their futures in the context of emigrating.
This post is not intended to further detract from from IZZIES thread. I have no intention of commenting or contributing further. IZZIE we wish you well and thank you for all your informative, well written, well balanced and well intentioned 'reports'.

What a load of Tosh

Talk about "an appalling demonstration of communication skill"
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:16 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
no. kent.
Ah the garden of England but jajajajaja not exactly a world way from Essex, just a river to divide them.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah the garden of England but jajajajaja not exactly a world way from Essex, just a river to divide them.
mate, the medway towns are spesh.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:36 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
mate, the medway towns are spesh.
I also like the Medway towns etc and places like Canterbury are special along with coastal areas like Broadstairs as well. No comment on Margate and as for Gravesend what a place Also remember there being a very large Sikh community there, unless I am confusing the place.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 11:36 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Correction.........I have read extensively on the Canada forum and YES every single week some poor sod is unduly torn to pieces by the Canadian Bashers on there. If you are too blind to see it then thats your problem. Or maybe you are just one of the muppets on there that blindly follows and does as you are told.

"Bonce, like you like us to think you...............Please transalate this into readable English?

If you are having a bad day, try not to take it out on me ok I`m sure you have a family member that you can do this with.
Then you must be reading a different forum to me, cos people dont go in their to bash Canada.....To most people in that forum Canada is the be all and end all.....And its only when someone goes in there that is unhappy with living there, that they get set upon.

And i'm having a great day Thankyou Oh and your bonce is your head...but i would of thought knowing so much about the whole of the UK you would of known that
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:00 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by sans
Then you must be reading a different forum to me, cos people dont go in their to bash Canada.....To most people in that forum Canada is the be all and end all.....And its only when someone goes in there that is unhappy with living there, that they get set upon.

And i'm having a great day Thankyou Oh and your bonce is your head...but i would of thought knowing so much about the whole of the UK you would of known that
I am sure you are joking here with your assesment................But anyway, anybody that goes into the Canada forum, will quickly realize that certain people there are embittered by their lives in Canada and will set upon anybody that dares say different to them. Without mentioning names its the same old people that are guilty and the many thousands of postings that they have made between them are evidence of this. On the other hand, this group may well be a minority group, because packs quite often are but they are a very vociferous one. Problem is, the large number of people on there that love/like or are just satisfied with their lives in Canada never get the chance to really express themselves for fear of being pulverized

Don`t know the whole of the UK and I have never said I do either As for bonce well not familiar with that phrase BUT I do know the difference between THEIR and THERE Do you?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure you are joking here with your assesment................But anyway, anybody that goes into the Canada forum, will quickly realize that certain people there are embittered by their lives in Canada and will set upon anybody that dares say different to them. Without mentioning names its the same old people that are guilty and the many thousands of postings that they have made between them are evidence of this. On the other hand, this group may well be a minority group, because packs quite often are but they are a very vociferous one. Problem is, the large number of people on there that love/like or are just satisfied with their lives in Canada never get the chance to really express themselves for fear of being pulverized

Don`t know the whole of the UK and I have never said I do either As for bonce well not familiar with that phrase BUT I do know the difference between THEIR and THERE Do you?
No actually .............But then i'm Dyslexic...but i do try very hard
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:17 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by sans
No actually .............But then i'm Dyslexic...but i do try very hard
Its a far far better to be dyslexic than a muppet
Old Dec 7th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Ezzie, if at this point you're thinking 'why bother any more' , I wouldn't be at all surprised . Would be preferable though if you would consider just totally and completely ignoring any of the 'disruptive' (note that self-restraint is being exercised here) comments on this thread, and continuing to post as though those comments and 'commenters' DO NOT EVEN EXIST! If we could all learn to accept as a given that every internet forum is clearly going to attract 'disruptive' elements, then we can sooner collectively evolve our tactics to a point where 'extremists' in any thread are always and without exception ignored... and preferably anyone who engages with them (i.e. 'feeds' them or 'takes their bait') would also be ignored from that point on in the thread, to get the message well and truly across.

So how about we have a go at it here and now? Anyone else up for seeing what happens when those who post personal attacks, and/or rude, intentionally disruptive, unreasonable or bullying comments, etc ... are completely and totally ignored by 'the collective'??

Me, I'm in...

Last edited by Black Sheep; Dec 7th 2008 at 1:48 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:30 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
Ezzie, if at this point you're thinking 'why bother any more' , I wouldn't be at all surprised . Would be preferable though if you would consider just totally and completely ignoring any of the 'disruptive' (note that self-restraint is being exercised here) comments on this thread, and continuing to post as though those comments and 'commenters' DO NOT EVEN EXIST! If we could all learn to accept as a given that every internet forum is clearly going to attract 'disruptive' elements, then we can sooner collectively evolve our tactics to a point where 'extremists' in any thread are always and without exception ignored... and preferably anyone who engages with them (i.e. 'feeds' them or 'takes their bait') would also be ignored from that point on in the thread, to get the message well and truly across.

So how about we have a go at it here and now? Anyone else up for seeing what happens when those who post personal attacks, and/or rude, intentionally disruptive, unreasonable or bullying comments, etc ... are completely and totally ignored by 'the collective'??

Me, I'm in...
"The collective" is just a nicer sounding version of "The Pack" and despite your so called good intentions will quickly become no better than the rabble that form "The Pack" anyway. The concept of ignoring people should be an individual choice an should always remain so. To suggest that a group of people take up this idea and form a collective, is in fact a very sad suggestion indeed, its kind of like lets send this person or that person to Coventry etc is this really in the spirit of democracy? Therefore, it should never be implemented by a group of any kind, or we will quickly have a scenario where the purgers have now become the purged a la Stalinist Russia and the process will just go on and on. The whole point of these forums are for individuals yes individuals and not just muppets to express their opinions how they see fit and when they want without fear of personal attack. When it comes to personal attacks some people like myself don`t give a rat`s arse But there are others on here that find it intimidating and hurtful etc etc. So instead of some kind of collective to control things, lets just leave it in the hands of THE MODS who in general do keep the hyenas, wolves and wild dogs in some kind of check most of the time.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Correction.........I have read extensively on the Canada forum and YES every single week some poor sod is unduly torn to pieces by the Canadian Bashers on there. If you are too blind to see it then thats your problem. Or maybe you are just one of the muppets on there that blindly follows and does as you are told.

"Bonce, like you like us to think you...............Please transalate this into readable English?

If you are having a bad day, try not to take it out on me ok I`m sure you have a family member that you can do this with.
Sorry Jules but I AM with Sans on this one! I used to post regularly in the Canada forum and enjoy the good ol' banter with all those regular faces but that was only when my life here was "hunky-dory and Canada was my life's saviour"!! Since I became homesick in January and wanted to return home to the UK, and my home & financial life has turned to ruin, whatever postings I have put on the Canada forum nowadays go completely un-noticed by those who I once used to enjoy that banter with. In the Canada forum they don't WANT people coming along with negatives to bring the country down.....they want all and sundry to read that it's the best country in the world to come and live!! Hey, they don't call this "God's country" for nothing you know But people do get a rough deal when a negative opinion is raised, or completely ignored

Apart from Piff-Poff, Sans & Burton Bunch, everyone else on there have turned their backs on me. Oh well, c'est la vie.....life goes on, and I'm much more at home in the MBTTUK forum as it happens I'm really curious who you're referring to as "The Pack" on that forum??

PS...and for the record, in case anyone rakes up any of my previous postings from way yonder...yes, I'm ashamed to say I too was once in 'The "Canada is the bees-kness" Pack' and anyone who came along and tried to trash it, I'd be right in there defending it...so I guess all the ignorance I receive in there nowadays, I deserve

Last edited by Ruby Murray; Dec 7th 2008 at 4:31 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:39 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Sorry Jules but I AM with Sans on this one! I used to post regularly in the Canada forum and enjoy the good ol' banter with all those regular faces but that was only when my life here was "hunky-dory and Canada was my life's saviour"!! Since I became homesick in January and wanted to return home to the UK, and my home & financial life has turned to ruin, whatever postings I have put on the Canada forum nowadays go completely un-noticed by those who I once used to enjoy that banter with. In the Canada forum they don't WANT people coming along with negatives to bring the country down.....they want all and sundry to read that it's the best country in the world to come and live!! Hey, they don't call this "God's country" for nothing you know But people do get a rough deal when a negative opinion is raised, or completely ignored

Apart from Piff-Poff, Sans & Burton Bunch, everyone else on there have turned their backs on me. Oh well, c'est la vie.....life goes on, and I'm much more at home in the MBTTUK forum as it happens I'm really curious who you're referring to as "The Pack" on that forum??
You may agree with Sans BUT you have also agreed with me by stating people do get a rough ride on there when giving out negative opinions. I can tell you, that on that site those that have settled out west BC or Alberta or out east Nova Scotia etc are the more positive people and in general like their lives there. BUT it is the minority in and around Toronto that rule the roost on that forum and they are the ones that won`t tolerate any positives about Canada etc. I know because I have argued with them non stop and threads have either been shut down or threatened to be shut down as a result of these arguments. What was my crime??? Well saying things like Toronto is a nice city, The houses in Canada are nice, lots to do in Canada, Canada has a high standard of living, Canada has great countryside, Plenty of space in Canada, Canadian people are friendly, Less crime in Canada etc With the best of all being life in Canada is better than here in Europe which always sent the rabid dogs into a even higher state of frenzied agression

By the way its not nice to hear your predicament and hopefully you`ll have brighter days ahead. Where are you going to settle in the UK?

As for the pack on there I´ll send you a PM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.