Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Right, well it's been fun but I'm off to a xmas party. No doubt be slaughtered on here later Be gentle with me
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I'm still waiting for an answer as to who is in this 'pack'.
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was purely a phrase I used to describe how everyone just descended on Ezzie because they didn't agree with her views.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:10 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
Okay, I'm curious. If a pub was regularly serving underage drinkers, would no one report them? Or is it that nothing would be done if it was reported?

Bev
If it was done that openly, of course they would. And anyway, if you constantly had underage drinkers swarming your pub, how long would it be before the fighting and ugly drunken behaviour attracts the police attention and the landlord risks losing their licence.
There have always been underage drinkers. I was one of them being a very mature looking 16yr old, but overtly large groups of them in pubs on a regular basis just wouldnt wash for too long.
Maybe these kids look underage but arent is all i can say!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:14 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont waste you time on it G. You will never clear things up with people who have passive aggressive tendencies. They will never resolve issues by being direct and open.
I would also like to know how these landlords/restaurant owners keep their licences too. Maybe being in a small village they all 'stick together' and don't want to rock the boat. I just find it very strange as my BIL runs a village pub and, as I said earlier, it's more than his licence/future/home is worth to risk serving under age drinkers, let alone on mass, so why on earth is something not being done about this?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

If it was done that openly, of course they would. And anyway, if you constantly had underage drinkers swarming your pub, how long would it be before the fighting and ugly drunken behaviour attracts the police attention and the landlord risks losing their licence.
There have always been underage drinkers. I was one of them being a very mature looking 16yr old, but overtly large groups of them in pubs on a regular basis just wouldnt wash for too long.
Maybe these kids look underage but arent is all i can say!
Quite true, I was an underager when I first started going out boozing, and was never asked for ID or anything, and I looked much younger than my years (which I hated). But, funnily enough, when I turned 18 the pubs decided to ask for ID, and I felt extremely insulted, I know, weird, right Finally able to drink legally and I get asked my age for the first time.

Been a long time since I've been carded now though; it would make my day to be carded seeing I'm such an old fart now
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:20 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I moved back to the UK six months ago after being away for nine years. The last four were spent in Perth, WA.

I have to say, most things in ezzie's posts ring very true with me (apart from the height thing - I got the impression that Aussies were relatively short, and I recall seeing lots of people with short legs relative to body length in Perth. As a perfect physical specimen I feel qualified to comment on this)

The social issues are a major concern (and rightly so) for people thinking of moving back with children, especially if they have been away from the UK for a long time or the children have never been to school here.

If you are moving children back, it tends to focus your attention a lot more on schools, youth culture, celebrity worship, etc. I suspect that some of the people criticizing ezzie's posts do not have children at an age that makes this a major concern. They are lucky.

Sure, these problems exist everywhere, but they seem to me to be more prevalent here and much harder to avoid than I'd hoped.

In my opinion, some of the attacks on ezzie (from one person in particular) have been almost as deluded as stuff you see in the barbie every now and again.

England is a great place to be in so many ways, but it is far from perfect. And if you have children that are used to a warmer, friendlier place it can be a very hard place to be, in my opinion. And belive me, I wish it wasn't like that. But it is.

Whilst i do not have school age dependant children, I have spent 9 of the last 15mths living with my daughters and their children in the UK. Granted the oldest ones are only primary school age, but i got heavily involved in taking them to school and social activities.
I guess its somewhat easier when the kids are smaller as you can control their social actvities and where they go, but as i have said earlier, once they become 15 16 17yrs old, it doesnt matter where they live they will do what they want to do and seek out what they want to seek out.
From what I have seen over the last year, teenagers are no different to what my teenagers were like 10yrs ago, and not that much different to what i was like as a teenager 30yrs ago.
The difference is, i have already gone through all these phases with the kids and can look back and see it for what it was. Those struggling with teenagers now might think that is is worse than it has ever been before but it isnt!!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:23 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was purely a phrase I used to describe how everyone just descended on Ezzie because they didn't agree with her views.
But 'everyone' didn't descend on Ezzie at all. Maybe I am reading this in a totally different way to you, I don't know. All I know is, that if someone says something I either don't understand or am interested in finding out about, then I will ask questions. I am not rude to people and I don't get personal, neither do I jump in with both feet without having contributed to a thread.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:24 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Quite true, I was an underager when I first started going out boozing, and was never asked for ID or anything, and I looked much younger than my years (which I hated). But, funnily enough, when I turned 18 the pubs decided to ask for ID, and I felt extremely insulted, I know, weird, right Finally able to drink legally and I get asked my age for the first time.

Been a long time since I've been carded now though; it would make my day to be carded seeing I'm such an old fart now
you and me both!! Although I did kiss the hand of the kind Danish female doctor at the hospital the other week when she said she couldnt believe i had any granchildren let alone 6 as she thought i was only 35
Hell i nearly cried with joy
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

you and me both!! Although I did kiss the hand of the kind Danish female doctor at the hospital the other week when she said she couldnt believe i had any granchildren let alone 6 as she thought i was only 35
Hell i nearly cried with joy
Did she need a new eyeglass prescription

Sorry, couldn't help myself. And, I'm not even PMSing anymore...wonder what that says about me
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:28 am
I don't give a damn

Did she need a new eyeglass prescription

Sorry, couldn't help myself. And, I'm not even PMSing anymore...wonder what that says about me

Dont worry, I asked her if she'd been drinking
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Dont worry, I asked her if she'd been drinking
Had she

And, here was me giving a poster on another thread a compliment, and I'm being a rude old cow to a friend, sorry
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:31 am
I don't give a damn

Had she

And, here was me giving a poster on another thread a compliment, and I'm being a rude old cow to a friend, sorry
yes... charming...

I had an eventful time earler today, but i will post about it elsewhere. Will give you a chuckle.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

yes... charming...
Funny thing is, I can talk to another Brit like this and you get what I'm saying (sarcasm and all), without getting offended. But, most of my American friends here do not get my dry wit at all. They just think I'm being rude, but I'm not going to change the way I am, warts and all

Last edited by Marmalade; Dec 7th 2008 at 3:43 am.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:44 am
'In limboland'

Funny thing is, I can talk to another Brit like this and you get what I'm saying (sarcasm and all), without getting offended. But, most of my American friends here do not get my dry wit at all. They just think I'm being rude, but I'm not going to change the way I am. I am who I am and that's it (it's taken me a long time to accept msyelf, so I'm not going to change for anyone now).

Okay, better shut up as I'm probably boring the pants off of everyone......

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Just shortened my quote as I was boring myself too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.