Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by ezzie
OK, be prepared for further ramblings....the program is actually going to be an hour long session of our family. Daunting....but hopefully will prove useful. Sitting up at 4.40am here with my son...both of us jetlagged. Rest of family could sleep through WWIII!!!

I'm doing bubble & squeek for breakfast (only because we generally fall asleep by the time dinner is cooked and it's getting left).

Another thing I noticed in the city fringes...the number of charity shops...mind boggling! The news is full of redundancies, lay offs and more economic gloom. People generally are now treating Gordon Brown as some financial messiah...just shows how the recent economic crisis has started messing with people's heads!

Just had bowl of Golden Nuggets....luvely! Off to bed for an hours kip.

When will the programme be aired?

Sounds really interesting to have a programme about coming back to the UK rather than going to Aus!

We returned 18 months ago from Castle Hill area and have never regretted it.
We are all soooo happy to be back home!!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Great posts Ezzie, and good luck to you all. Please let us know if there is any chance of us seeing this programme - how exciting!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:49 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Hello :0)

How exciting!

How often do they film you? Is it candid or interview style (or both )?....are they very intrusive? do you have to make your final decision in a very short time frame ??....and do they pay your expenses???

Good Luck with it all...and please keep us posted.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
How often do they film you? Is it candid or interview style (or both )?....are they very intrusive? do you have to make your final decision in a very short time frame .
I'd find this fascinating - to see what the final programme looks like. How they edit it - what kind of spin or mood they bring to the programme - do they have an agenda before they start?

I've read many times on here about how "wonderful" these programmes make Oz (for example) look, when many of you have a vastly differing opinions of the place (she said subtly ) - but admitted to being somewhat 'sucked in' by these types of programmes.

I wonder if the programme makers are now trying to "sell" the UK? Can this be a change in mood that many were crying out for? The UK is not so bad afterall, and Oz (or any other country) are not Nirvana afterall

ezzie - do keep us posted - and we'd love to hear your final thoughts on your trip
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:58 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

AWE!!! Welcome Home Ezzie & Family Good Luck.....
Old Nov 14th 2008, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

There's 30 episodes of 30 families from around the world...but mostly France, Spain etc. It'll be on ITV from Feb and, yes, it's all about selling the UK, so their not too interested in anything we say that's positive about Sydney - which is a shame as living in Oz does have some very positive aspects.

However, today we visited the school - it's a highly selective grammar, but ....it was bloody marvellous and every aspect of it puts Australian education to shame. The Head and Deputy had a very obvious affinity with the students at the school, the students were chatty but engrossed in their lessons and the work was at a stonkingly high level...again, it IS afterall, a selective grammar...one of the highest ranking gov't schools in the country. Some of the students showed us around - far from being dullards with little conversation, they were lively, friendly, engaging and enjoyed scoffing all the custard creams in the boardroom when the Deputy wasn't looking! Would our kids get a look-in at the school as far as places go.... Who knows, but I'd certainly give it a go.

Weather today has remained mild and very changeable, lovely sunshine in the afternoon. We went a walk up the Clent Hills - the Autumnal colours were stunning and we all were busy with our cameras taking shots of trees covered in moss, small mushrooms and the bright yellow leaves of a large copse of young oaks that had been planted in memory of a local Scout leader.

Stunning views across the fields, or rather they would be stunning were it not for the tower blocks of Halesowen providing incongruous blots on the landscape. We stood there pondering which pillocks decided to desecrate such a view with these ugly edifices. If I had the strength, I'd tear them down myself! Back to the cottage....fuse blew leaving us in the dark...another reminder that we're back in the UK....a couple of Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts soon cheered us up though.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:45 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

There's 30 episodes of 30 families from around the world...but mostly France, Spain etc. It'll be on ITV from Feb and, yes, it's all about selling the UK, so their not too interested in anything we say that's positive about Sydney - which is a shame as living in Oz does have some very positive aspects.

However, today we visited the school - it's a highly selective grammar, but ....it was bloody marvellous and every aspect of it puts Australian education to shame. The Head and Deputy had a very obvious affinity with the students at the school, the students were chatty but engrossed in their lessons and the work was at a stonkingly high level...again, it IS afterall, a selective grammar...one of the highest ranking gov't schools in the country. Some of the students showed us around - far from being dullards with little conversation, they were lively, friendly, engaging and enjoyed scoffing all the custard creams in the boardroom when the Deputy wasn't looking! Would our kids get a look-in at the school as far as places go.... Who knows, but I'd certainly give it a go.

Weather today has remained mild and very changeable, lovely sunshine in the afternoon. We went a walk up the Clent Hills - the Autumnal colours were stunning and we all were busy with our cameras taking shots of trees covered in moss, small mushrooms and the bright yellow leaves of a large copse of young oaks that had been planted in memory of a local Scout leader.

Stunning views across the fields, or rather they would be stunning were it not for the tower blocks of Halesowen providing incongruous blots on the landscape. We stood there pondering which pillocks decided to desecrate such a view with these ugly edifices. If I had the strength, I'd tear them down myself! Back to the cottage....fuse blew leaving us in the dark...another reminder that we're back in the UK....a couple of Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts soon cheered us up though.
Must be hormones. I just burst into tears reading this. I'm not pregnant either. Duh....
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:50 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

You going to post your piccies
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really niceSue1 is just really nice

Have dragged family into filming for a 'Poms thinking about returning to UK' type program. Its been a bit of a rollercoster, but we've now arrived in the UK and have been filmed for the last two days. Yesterday the sun shone and I have to admit that it was nowhere as cold as I thought it would be. I can't tell you how marvellous it was to see the fields, hedgerows and tiny villages as we sped up the motorway. We're staying in a small cottage on a farm-type place....small, but comfy. Not having enough hot water reminded us that we were in England, but then so did the friendliness of people...not a superficial 'how are you' type friendliness, but people who'd stop and chat.

Our trip to the supermarket was fabulous. I was expecting high meat prices and so was pleasantly surprised. The range of food and products was just mindblowing!

We were taken to see a house yesterday...the rooms were teeny...apart from the bathroom, which was enormous. Cracks everywhere, a kitchen with steps in the middle (I'd have broken a leg in no time!). The asking price was 350,000 quid!!!!! They thought we'd be fine with taking out a mortgage, but with the recession it'd be the last thing we'd do. However, after we took ourselves off to an estate agent we found there are properties that would suit us in the 250,000 range - just need to look in different areas, but they are around.

Weather yesterday was typically British - wet, overcast and grey. It didn't spoil the countryside, but driving through some of the inner city areas was pretty bloody grim. In fact we all fell into a bit of depression just looking at it...never mind living there!

We're off to look at a school today - however, it's a grammar school which we'd have NO chance of actually getting our kids into in reality! At least it will provide some benchmark as to standards of ed in the UK.

The thing that we noticed most, if we had to list the main difference, is the level of engagement people have with each other. The weather may have been bleak yesterday, but we generally saw beaming smiles and met some real characters.

Lots to think about, lots to do...I'll write more if anyone's interested!
Yes please Sue1
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:16 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Fascinating stuff, thanks!

There've been charity shops all over for a long time. Always amazes me, but I always nip into them, too, to see what's there.

When we were traveling with young kids we'd play a game where they could earn money spotting certain things as we were driving about, then when we stopped somewhere, we'd split their kitty and let them buy whatever they wanted from a charity shop. Helped keep them happy and of course a lot of the books and toys were different to what they saw in Canada, so that was a thrill.

Bev
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Is it the "No Place Like Home" programme? It's just my cousin who lives in France has just taken part in that.

I think I'll have to look in getting hold of the whole series - I hadn't realised they were doing so many programmes and doing outside of Europe. Will be very interesting I reckon
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:32 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by m100
When will the programme be aired?

Sounds really interesting to have a programme about coming back to the UK rather than going to Aus!

We returned 18 months ago from Castle Hill area and have never regretted it.
We are all soooo happy to be back home!!
How long were you in Oz and where did you go home to? Was it hard to settle down and what were the main worries when you returned? I and I know a good few others on here, would love to hear your story, so if you fancy starting a thread, it would be very welcomed.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond reputeezzie has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's the one! Who's your cousin then and which producer and director did they have...and how did they find the experience? I'll never watch a program in the same way again knowing how many 'takes' are required etc. We're getting quite used now to having to greet people several times at different angles! The worst thing is that we're just so damn tired and jetlagged and the filming is all day - we really feel like we just need half a day to collect ourselves and go somewhere as a family without being miked-up or filmed.

It's lovely being taken to these glorious locations, but what we want to do is to escape to city parks and streets and get a feel for the local youth - chavness, intimidation, drugs, gangs etc, etc.....you won't be seeing that on the program!

Originally Posted by TillyG
Is it the "No Place Like Home" programme? It's just my cousin who lives in France has just taken part in that.

I think I'll have to look in getting hold of the whole series - I hadn't realised they were doing so many programmes and doing outside of Europe. Will be very interesting I reckon
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:52 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, that's the one! Who's your cousin then and which producer and director did they have...and how did they find the experience? I'll never watch a program in the same way again knowing how many 'takes' are required etc. We're getting quite used now to having to greet people several times at different angles! The worst thing is that we're just so damn tired and jetlagged and the filming is all day - we really feel like we just need half a day to collect ourselves and go somewhere as a family without being miked-up or filmed.

It's lovely being taken to these glorious locations, but what we want to do is to escape to city parks and streets and get a feel for the local youth - chavness, intimidation, drugs, gangs etc, etc.....you won't be seeing that on the program!
Don't you ever sleep woman? What you doing up at this hour?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Ha! Glad someone is looking out for me.....I've a bad case of jetlag. Last night went to bed at 7pm and woke at midnight. Was soon joined by my son then daughters (hubby sleeps anywhere, anytime!)..it was a bit of a party atmosphere we had going, all tapped into various internet devices! Managed to stay up till 8pm last night and woke at 2am. Right, I'm off for another attempt at a kip. Doesn't help that we're a 5 person family staying in a 4 bed cottage!

Anyone got any getting over jetlag tips?

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Don't you ever sleep woman? What you doing up at this hour?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.