British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Just returned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/just-returned-916459/)

brokenhearted. Aug 24th 2018 2:50 pm

Just returned

So, finally after a lot of agonizing I have returned to the UK following my husbands passing away in January.
I am not a US citizen, this was a choice as I had been married to my USC husband for 10 years, but was quite happy to remain a LPR.
So, now begins the process of finishing off loose ends and moving forward to rebuild my life here in the UK.

I am not in a fit state right now for employment, so I am staying with a good friend, and working on things I can manage, as he passed suddenly a lot of stuff is still being worked out and I was left in rented accommodation provided by my husbands employer - they did kindly allow me to rent for a further 6 months to help get immediate things taken care of.

I am now looking into expatriation paperwork as well as tidying up the outstanding assets, the 3 acres of land which I cannot sell for what we paid for may well have to be a commitment I will have to continue (still paying for it and not likely to have any capital gains), and we have a small boat which I was unable to sell before I left ( a friend is looking after that for me in the USA) I simply wasn't in a good place and needed to come home where my network of friends and family are, so though I did obsess and worry over the covered versus uncovered expatriate questions I have come to terms with just doing the best I can and accept what comes. I would be ok with the expatriation paperwork if i could work out how to value the survivor annuity that I will receive as a result of my husband dying before he could take his work pension, it concerns me that at 55 I may eat a big chunk of that 2 million threshold on that alone but I cannot change that - so I will have to live with what comes. I am not rich by any means and will be looking for a job as soon as I can feel like I can be employable but I cannot find anything that explains the valuation for this kind of income - i presumed it would be how ever many years i have left x the amount per year equals the value - simplistic ?

I am wondering if anyone can offer any advice, hints or tips for returning - not necessary specific to expatriation paperwork, but things learnt from personal experience regarding the leaving behind of the IRS and rebuilding a life in UK? I have not yet started any of the paperwork to give up my greencard but at some point I think I will as the more I stay the less it is feeling like a vacation. (I told myself that as the rental property came to an end it would be the most opportune time to take a holiday to see if i could be able to settle back in the UK - if not then I would return to the US to continue life there). I have not made a definitive decision but leaning to staying.

Any input would be gratefully received, as I move forward.

between two worlds Aug 24th 2018 7:55 pm

Re: Just returned

So sorry to hear about what you have been and are going through. I'm no longer a forum regular but as no-one else has shown up here yet I want to welcome you to this supportive community.

Many people on these forums long to return to the UK, but not in the sad circumstances you have done it in. How difficult it must have been for you. What a wonderful thing that at least you have been able to return to this network of friends and family and even have a place to stay with a good friend.

I am afraid I don't have any advice about the survivor's annuity and how to value it. As for the IRS, all I know is what you surely know already: as long as you are a green card holder, you have to file a tax return with IRS. I personally think you should keep your green card, as you never know, and it will make it easier if you ever have to go back to USA and deal with the land or anything. It's worth the hassle of filing the tax return.

"Leaning to staying.." that's exciting. 10 years is quite a while to have been away (though many on these forums have been away for much longer).

All the very best as you move forward....

brokenhearted. Aug 25th 2018 9:25 am

Thank you for your kind reply. I have a lot to be grateful for, it was the best relationship I could have ever asked for and I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had him in my life - even for so short a time as it turned out to be. I am working on building up credit, and finding ways to seek out best ways to get back into the system. I just want to avoid pitfalls if possible. Such a lot to think of - and looking for anyone who can share their expatriation/returning experiences.
Thank you

Perth Aug 25th 2018 5:36 pm

So very, very sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, I am not able to help re taxes, etc.

But as far as any other advice, I would urge you to consider strongly healthcare in your assessment as to whether to stay here or return to the USA. The NHS will be invaluable to you while you are unemployed, and long term while you age.

If you have some time left on your green card, I would hold on to it and let it expire naturally. A friend of mine did this and there was nothing to it. It gives you a chance to be absolutely sure you may not want to go back.

In the meantime, to ease back into working and social life, perhaps consider volunteering somewhere you enjoy or feel passionate about; somewhere that will give you skills and contacts but will not tie you to a schedule that may still be unrealistic during your grieving process.

Wishing you the very best as you settle back with friends and family.

Rete Aug 31st 2018 3:55 am

A green card does not expire naturally. It can be officially returned to the USCIS (don't recall the form #) or it can be ignored and if ever used again to return to the US will most likely be considered abandoned. As a LPR, she is required to file US income taxes on all earned income worldwide.