Just how bad is it in the UK??

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:05 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how bad is it in the UK??

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
think the reason why we feel it is a lot worse this time is because of globalization.in 1990s no real info from other countries except a few lines in the main papers .with the way we communicate around the world today compared to 10 years ago via fax,phone,internet,satelite etc its instant. the newspapers etc have to keep themselves a float and so do the journalist,so they write as much as possible to almost saturation point.dont you think that factories,shops, steel works,coal mines etc didnt close down or shed jobs in the 1990s?(it was called retrenchment if i can remember correctly).i feel for people losing their jobs,homes etc but sadly when things like this happen there will always be winners and loosers.but i do think the british are very prone to the "woe is me"attitude.also a lot of people in both australia and uk bought a second property,bought shares,big cars etc.in the 1980s this would have been unheard of.only for the rich not joe blog down the street.we will go back to having a house that is our home not a quick way of making a big profit.trading our cars less than we have etc.
i do agree with cricket in her saying that we will get over this but will our countries /people learn the lesson? maybe for a few years and then it will be forgotten about when things turn good.at least in uk and australia you are provided with govement assistance,retraining,help with rent etc.oh and we are still moving back to uk sometime this year after 18 years in australia,self funded.

What I find amazing is that both the Australians and the Americans are staunchly loyal to their countries through thick and thin. I admire their 'proud to be' stance and the way it's all hands on deck no matter what.
Having been out of the UK for a few years, but having been through 3 recessions whilst there, I have to wonder if a certain British mentality creates an agonizing reality for the rest of the public by being so downright miserable and downbeat in their own attitude. I just don't get the 'sink Britain' attitude by it's own public.
To be honest it's not the government or the policy of the government of the day that's the problem, it's Britains own whining attitude that comes from the likes of some of those posting on here.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:08 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Well I would love to agree with you on that one, except I am sure that the good people who used to work at the 807 branches of woolworths before they got closed down at christmas would have difficulty agreeing, also the 1,060 people who lost their jobs this weekend at Land of Leather, etc etc
peanuts compared to the USA, where 598,000 jobs were lost in January 2009 alone

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/06/news...ion=2009020608
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

just wanted to add that in the 70s i can remember we had power cuts,my dad lost his job as an electricial at the ncr they 1970s recession.we lived off next to nothing.we were lucky in one respect my grandparents left my mum the house when they died so my parents had no rent to find.dad got a job after a year working as a lab technician, then went on to do his onc and hnc (night school) and became a maths teacher.but i can remember sitting eating egg and chips,home made soup,porridge etc for a good while until they got back on their feet.funny how you forget some of the things that happen in your life.good job its not my oh on here as he would say we were snobs and they didnt have an inside toilet,had to take in turns who went to church on a sunday as they had to share a coat and shoes.(no joke).
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:16 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to add that in the 70s i can remember we had power cuts,my dad lost his job as an electricial at the ncr they 1970s recession.we lived off next to nothing.we were lucky in one respect my grandparents left my mum the house when they died so my parents had no rent to find.dad got a job after a year working as a lab technician, then went on to do his onc and hnc (night school) and became a maths teacher.but i can remember sitting eating egg and chips,home made soup,porridge etc for a good while until they got back on their feet.funny how you forget some of the things that happen in your life.good job its not my oh on here as he would say we were snobs and they didnt have an inside toilet,had to take in turns who went to church on a sunday as they had to share a coat and shoes.(no joke).
I can relate to all of that. Do you remember having to wash and dry your undies and socks before morning because we all only had one pair?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds familiar. I remember drinking lots of tea and having very little else some nights, My mom working at a pub at night to make ends meet and pay the rent on our council house. Sitting in the dark only one section on on the gas fire to save money and using the candle only to get to the toilet and back to save it burning away.
Being flippin cold, and hungry a lot. I doubt things will be that bad this time.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:44 am
Banned

I remember having a sixpence box on the back of the TV. We always ran out of sixpences in the middle of Batman. And yes, linoleum floors, ice on the inside of windows when you woke up, no central heating, no electricity unless you fixed the meter and no breakfast or dinner often.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:54 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Monty Python - Poor

"Who would have thought thirty years ago we would all be sitting here drinking Chateau de {Chassiley?} wine, eh?"

"In them days, we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea."

"Aye, a cup of cold tea"

"Without milk or sugar"

"Or tea"

"In a filthy cracked cup."

"We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper."

"The best we could manage was a sock or a piece of damp cloth."

"But ye know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor ..."

"Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me 'Money doesn't buy you happiness'."

"He was right. I was happier then and I had nothing! We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof."

"House, you lived in a house? We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we're all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling."

"You were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in the corridor!"

"Oooooh, we used to dream of living in a corridor. It would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish [heap]. We got woken up every morning to having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us. House? Uh!"

"Oh, when I said house I meant a hole in the ground covered by a piece of twig. It was a house to us."

"We were evicted from our hole in the ground. We had to go and live in the lake!"

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."

"Cardboard box?"

"Aye"

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, and when we would go home, dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt."

"Look, [sherry?], we used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work for twenty hours at the mill every day for a tuppence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle ... if we were lucky!"

"Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had one handful of freezing cold gravel, work at the mill for twenty-four hours a day for four bits every six years, and when would get home, our dad would slice into us with a bread knife."

"Right!"

"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!"

"You can't tell the young people of the day that. They won't believe you."
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Back to UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess its bad everywhere.

Looking at Canada - 6 drug related shootings in Vancouver. Recession is hitting bad. Job cuts. Many people here in Toronto have seemed to lose that buzz.

I know the UK is no better, but I think I would rather sit this one out, surrounding by friends !
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:47 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
They won't let unaccompanied body parts on the aircraft, all of you will have to go
darn it you got their before me
Old Mar 7th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Capt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to allCapt Emz I Think is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kporte
Monty Python - Poor

"Who would have thought thirty years ago we would all be sitting here drinking Chateau de {Chassiley?} wine, eh?"

"In them days, we were glad to have the price of a cup of tea."

"Aye, a cup of cold tea"

"Without milk or sugar"

"Or tea"

"In a filthy cracked cup."

"We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper."

"The best we could manage was a sock or a piece of damp cloth."

"But ye know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor ..."

"Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me 'Money doesn't buy you happiness'."

"He was right. I was happier then and I had nothing! We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof."

"House, you lived in a house? We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, half the floor was missing, and we're all huddled together in one corner for fear of falling."

"You were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in the corridor!"

"Oooooh, we used to dream of living in a corridor. It would have been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish [heap]. We got woken up every morning to having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us. House? Uh!"

"Oh, when I said house I meant a hole in the ground covered by a piece of twig. It was a house to us."

"We were evicted from our hole in the ground. We had to go and live in the lake!"

"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."

"Cardboard box?"

"Aye"

"You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, and when we would go home, dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt."

"Look, [sherry?], we used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work for twenty hours at the mill every day for a tuppence a month, come home, and dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle ... if we were lucky!"

"Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had one handful of freezing cold gravel, work at the mill for twenty-four hours a day for four bits every six years, and when would get home, our dad would slice into us with a bread knife."

"Right!"

"I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of dry poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah!"

"You can't tell the young people of the day that. They won't believe you."
Werent they such snobs eh!!! My up bringing was FAR WORSE LOL!!!
I dont do stats but all I can say is that at the mo - my OH's plumbing business is taking off - he's installing lots of bathrooms and cosmetic work for people - he had NO work on about 6 months ago - it was a really depressing time for us. Also if people are having cosmetics done to their house that means they are spending money that isnt a necessity(not sure if I spelt that right!!) so surely things must be looking up here in the UK- or is that just good owd Wigan!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Capt Emz I Think
Werent they such snobs eh!!! My up bringing was FAR WORSE LOL!!!
I dont do stats but all I can say is that at the mo - my OH's plumbing business is taking off - he's installing lots of bathrooms and cosmetic work for people - he had NO work on about 6 months ago - it was a really depressing time for us. Also if people are having cosmetics done to their house that means they are spending money that isnt a necessity(not sure if I spelt that right!!) so surely things must be looking up here in the UK- or is that just good owd Wigan!!!!

Hi Emz,

Nice to hear things are picking up, has it made you change your mind or are you still gonna go for it?

As for good owd Wigan.............great people, great shops..............but have you tried driving home round Wigan Pier at 5 pm each night

I still can't get my head round the fact that it takes 15 minutes to drive to work and 50 minutes to drive home
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:38 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by charlie rara
and i totally agree.
im a chippy who had 2 lay his brother off as not enough work and he CANT GET A JOB DOING ANYTHING FROM FACTORY WORK TO DRIVING. some work agencies wont even put you on there books cus your not the right nationality???????????
£64 per week on job seekers allowance to pay mortgage/food/household bills/kids clothes etc etc but have to pay £264 csa, dont figure to me....
losing £40,000 off price of house in 12 months, wages dropped by half per month, bills going up at dramatic rates.
ITS VERY BAD HERE AND GOING TO GET WORSE. END OF STORY:curse:
That's your opinion. It may be worse for some but not for others, so it's not end of story is it!!
For us it was the best time to return to the UK...cheaper houses, better exchange rate, our business thrieves in a recession, so like i said it depends on personal circumstances.

Wouldn't return to OZ if you paid me
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
No it is not bollocks, you are not here, you don't know. Britain is in crisis, thousands of british workers are losing their jobs every day with little prospect for many of finding another, there are dozens of applicants for every job, if you lose your job and expect to live off your savings then think again, interest rates practically nil on savings. If you are single and have no children then you are expected to live on £64 week job seekers allowance and thats it.

House repossessions are running at record levels, government borrowing is also running at record levels due to massive uncontrolled spending and a spiralling welfare bill, leaving this country with a massive tax burden which will last well beyond our life time. Several European leaders have now openly criticized the running of our economy by the current government, it is that bad.

Tens of thousands of immigrants are pouring into the UK and before you start shouting about racism, they are not here to fill skill shortages, how can they be, there are 1000's of skilled people now unemployed, many immigrants are illegal who our weak government is either unable or unwilling to expel so the good old British Tax Payer funds their living costs and health care. Also many eastern Europeans who can come here legally, they openly admit that they are here for Tax credits, they can even claim for children who aren't even living in the UK.

Many parts of the UK are now a picture of urban decay, so many places rundown, no respect by large members of our communities of their surroundings, each other and their property, the government is now openly bracing itself for a crimewave across the country.

The economy is not expected to show signs of recovery until 2010, by then it will be too late for the estimated tens of thousands of businesses that will close their doors.

If it is so great here then why are you in Canada?

Do not make comment on somewhere you are not.
Well said, well thought out, couldn't agree more!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

australianinleicester:If its so bad here why are'nt you in Oz?I personally don't know anyone out of work (yes I know there are people umemployed,I'm not saying there are'nt)Urban decay?Not where I live!Eastern Europeans?We have a tiny amount of.Are Ozzies 100% happy all the time with Rudd?I don't think so!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livinginreality
australianinleicester:If its so bad here why are'nt you in Oz?I personally don't know anyone out of work (yes I know there are people umemployed,I'm not saying there are'nt)Urban decay?Not where I live!Eastern Europeans?We have a tiny amount of.Are Ozzies 100% happy all the time with Rudd?I don't think so!
Where do you live, the 1980's???? I personally know lots of good tradesmen, joiners, plasterers, dry liners etc who are out of work due to the eastern europeans taking their jobs, working long hours for cheaper money and then they send it home to their relatives live off our social, this is the reality we have in this fine country, I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.