Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:26 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by tableland
It was reported that 1500 come in every day, and it also reportedthat there is an overall gain of 500 a day to the British population. This must mean that 1000 a day leave, and this ties in with another approximate figure in the news recently that stated over 350,000 a year are emigrating.
The figures for people leaving appear to make no distinction between UK citizens and non UK going back to their country of origin, and those actually emigrating for good and those leaving the UK for finite time periods with the intention to return - such as people on fixed term foreign contracts, academic exchanges, and even gap year students. Hence the "leaving" figures may be very misleading.

Last edited by elfman; Dec 3rd 2006 at 12:44 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Superb post.
Things will become very unbalanced indeed.

My hubby was one of those wide eyed, excited graduates and in my experience they are very welcome in the UK. I had so much fun with him in the UK, travelling around, living in different places, holidays in Europe. Everybody seemed to love the Aussies. He had a fantastic time, threw himself into the culture, and into learning as much as he could about his profession. Spot on about the hospitals and their Aussie workers, I know that first hand.
have a karma for your generous reply!

Aussies are welcome in the UK. Thats why they come in their thousands each year. Earl's Court in London could change its name to Ozland and nobody there would bat an eyelid- in fact if there were a local vote it would probably win a majority! No worries. I realised since my post an hour ago that living opposite me here in deepest Surrey there is an Aussie born tax adviser. He has lived here for ages with his British teacher wife and kids and clearly isn't about to go back soon, though I beleive they had a long visit back to his birthplace a couple of years back.

Why did you go back to Oz?
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
The figures for UK citizens leaving make no distinction between those actually emigrating for good and those leaving the UK for finite time periods with the intention to return - such as people on fixed term foreign contracts, academic exchanges, and even gap year students. Hence the "leaving" figures may be very misleading.

This is true, and it's hard to get a good idea on the figures of those staying permanently because people can come back at any time. In this respect, only when a British expat actually goes and dies in Australia could he be described as having permanently left the UK: up to this point he could return at any time and then his absence was temporary.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
i wonder if the UK payed woman to have babies like they do in OZ, there would be more pregnancies??? I mean $4000 per child in OZ is alot of money.
The Uk has a high pregnancy rate anyway. Plenty of single mums around.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

When did you get back to UK?

Originally Posted by louise4
No we don't have citizen ship. We are back in blighty and loving it .
If it had been required to hand over your brit passport when you gained PR or Citizenship i don't think i would have bothered in the first place. Just because you take citizenship in another country what right does that country have to demand that you give up your country of birth. That just smacks of playgound madness to me.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
have a karma for your generous reply!

Aussies are welcome in the UK. Thats why they come in their thousands each year. Earl's Court in London could change its name to Ozland and nobody there would bat an eyelid- in fact if there were a local vote it would probably win a majority! No worries. I realised since my post an hour ago that living opposite me here in deepest Surrey there is an Aussie born tax adviser. He has lived here for ages with his British teacher wife and kids and clearly isn't about to go back soon, though I beleive they had a long visit back to his birthplace a couple of years back.

Why did you go back to Oz?
My Aussie was offered a job! They wanted him back after he had been trained to the highest standards in the UK in his profession. So I thought, that sounds like fun, so off we trotted with our 8 month old baby in tow. Still here five years and another cute little baby later.
He left that job after a year, moved to the Gold Coast and we set up our own business.
And now I want to go home. Can't see it happening any time soon thouugh. I am thoroughly bored, sounds childish to say that but that really is it in a nutshell. I really didn't think of the long term when I agreed to come here.
My oldest boy is a delightful child, would he have been like that if he had been in the UK for his early years. I don't know, but I am sure he has gained great benefits from being here, an almost idylic childhood. But then mine in the countryside of Wiltshire was great as well.

I worked with my hubby in the UK and he was the centre of attention due the fact he is an Aussie, but here he is just another Aussie! Poor thing! His accent is very mild and he sounds a bit pommy, after ten years of being there he picked it up. I only hope I don't sound Aussie, it would ruin a perfectly good Wiltshire accent! :scared:
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

My Aussie was offered a job! They wanted him back after he had been trained to the highest standards in the UK in his profession. So I thought, that sounds like fun, so off we trotted with our 8 month old baby in tow. Still here five years and another cute little baby later.
He left that job after a year, moved to the Gold Coast and we set up our own business.
And now I want to go home. Can't see it happening any time soon thouugh. I am thoroughly bored, sounds childish to say that but that really is it in a nutshell. I really didn't think of the long term when I agreed to come here.
My oldest boy is a delightful child, would he have been like that if he had been in the UK for his early years. I don't know, but I am sure he has gained great benefits from being here, an almost idylic childhood. But then mine in the countryside of Wiltshire was great as well.

I worked with my hubby in the UK and he was the centre of attention due the fact he is an Aussie, but here he is just another Aussie! Poor thing! His accent is very mild and he sounds a bit pommy, after ten years of being there he picked it up. I only hope I don't sound Aussie, it would ruin a perfectly good Wiltshire accent! :scared:
You can be bored anywhere with a couple of young kids and hubby working all hours on his own business. It sounds familiar! At least you are your own bosses.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

You can be bored anywhere with a couple of young kids and hubby working all hours on his own business. It sounds familiar! At least you are your own bosses.
Thats true
But don't you think I need to do some accent preservation? I mean it would be a shame to let this ooohh aaahh farmers accent go down the pan
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Thats true
But don't you think I need to do some accent preservation? I mean it would be a shame to let this ooohh aaahh farmers accent go down the pan
by gum ey lass

I am accused of being a southerner when I visit "home" at Xmas and a northerner down here. Can't win.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

by gum ey lass

I am accused of being a southerner when I visit "home" at Xmas and a northerner down here. Can't win.
I used to go ""down the wheatsheaf" for a packet of crisps and a lemonade.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

I used to go ""down the wheatsheaf" for a packet of crisps and a lemonade.
sent you a pm
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is true, and it's hard to get a good idea on the figures of those staying permanently because people can come back at any time. In this respect, only when a British expat actually goes and dies in Australia could he be described as having permanently left the UK: up to this point he could return at any time and then his absence was temporary.
Oh my ! That what I don't want to do! I want to go home before then! Thats it I'm off
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 4:43 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Exile
Funny, I thought the gist of the article was that many educated, ambitious and free-thinking Australians tend to leave Australia because they don't like living among a majority of uneducated dolts in a nation where the only culture is sport and where being chased by flies along the beach is considered a substitute for lifestyle. (Not necessarily my opinion, I'm just summarizing ).

Amazing how you and denver are so blinkered that you can only see it in terms of "look at those amazing Australians from our wonderful homeland".

You really do seem to embody some of the annoying characteristics that people on this part of the forum frequently attribute to you and your fellow nationals. Do you just post to reinforce our prejudices?
Exile, do you think I am blinkered and you are not? I am very happy to admit that there are things I like about the UK, and that English people have some fantastic characteristics. If I was so blinkered, I could possibly not admit to anything positive about the UK. Other nations on Earth are also fantastic in many ways.You seem unable to see anything positive about Australia, which I find quite interesting. To me this suggests you have "tall poppy" syndrome where you have a need to pull down someone or something to make you feel better about something that you feel is lacking in yourself (maybe nationality?)

I am reminded of a close friend who I love to bits, but who has the annoying habit of buying beauty magazines and critising every little flaw that models/actresses have, and deciding that they are all the products of plastic surgery/professional lighting. Now, I am sure that in some cases those things have been applied, but really, they are just extraordinarily beautiful women, and that's life. Bringing them down by excessive unwarranted critism won't change that fact.

My family and friends are all well educated people, yes they like sport but they all have a multitude of interests and are also happy and cheery most of the time. They have all travelled and not one (except a girlfriend who wants to live in New York), have felt the need to move overseas permanently.

I have travelled, and have decided that I am unbelievable lucky to have grown up in Australia, and be able to return there to live. It is a peaceful, prosperous nation with a fantastic lifestyle even for people who do not earn a packet of money. However, we all have to work on our societies and I know that Australia is far from perfect, but will also only get better.

I post because I feel that a lot of what is said on this forum is so rediculous and untrue, though I do realise I am not going to influence your set in stone hatred/bitterness (bordering on racism - yes I said it!) of Australia.

Nonetheless, I wish you all the best in your return to your idyllic life in the UK.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

This is an interesting article, but it's quite misleading because the guy they focused on is obviously a huge earner and in a business where living in US/UK is a clear advantage. For most people on ordinary salaries stuck in the dark and rainy commute every morning, the UK is less attractive. Also, your judgment about the UK would be different if, like this guy, you have an Australian passport: he knows he can leave whenever he wants, and even refers to retiring in Australia.

And another thing I found interesting about this article is when they wrote that "Almost 1 million Australians now live overseas and those abandoning their homeland are some of the brightest stars born under the Southern Cross". This is funny, because we are constantly told in the UK that our brightest are going to Australia. Where are all these geniuses really going then? US maybe?

An interesting article, but ultimately one focused on a very specific type of high-profile career. Also, these people have the ability to return to Australia any time no questions asked and this distorts their perception of Britain. I wouldn't add this to my Reasons-To-Leave-Australia List.
At the risk of patronising (!), I feel Tableland has posted probably the most intelligent, sensible and balanced-view posts anywhere on this forum, ever. (Right, that's enough praise!)
It's difficult to see how anyone could make a decision based on this article. The guy concerned is obviously a high-flying entrepreneur - doesn't matter where he comes from. Stelios doesn't spend much time in Greece (or Cyprus -can't remember!) cos he has an airline to run. Plenty of European pro golfers play on the US tour - that's where the dosh is.
Anyone with that drive will always look outside their own country for opportunity. The main (and worrying, for me as far as the UK is concerned) are these:
The worry is that there is an alleged "brain drain" from Oz. Unless I'm missing something, Oz has one of the toughest immigration policies around, so you won't get any ol' Tom, Dick or Harry being admitted there and replacing those who leave. True, there may be an influx of trades, but perhaps there are enough managers and leaders already and if not, that will balance out in time. Suffice to say the "quality" of immigrants to Oz should be high.
Compare that to the UK's revolving door. 25% of immigration is from Eastern Europe, the other 75% from Sub-Saharan Africa (according to Migrationwatch). TB and HIV are becoming very popular here again, after a period of being out of fashion. So skilled trades, labour and brains being replaced with what? No "racist" accusations please, just putting a point (and facts) across.
Oz pretty well know who is coming and who is leaving.
If there is a brain drain, I know at which end of it I want to be at.
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 9:50 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Fair play to them for printing it though .Puts a different perspective on living in australia ,especially for professionals .
It seems to me australia is dumbing down if its losing its most valued resource ,iis well educated .
Obviously sitting on ones arse sucking on beer and coffee milks and the odd trip to bunnings for a pot plant or two doesnt float every ones boat.
Dumbing down!!! Is that possible? Soon they will be in negative equity!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.