Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by sassenach
I dont know really to be honest wendy ,maybe the guys on site just want to go home but i have employed backpackers in the past they were predominently british and irish and the greater majority always seemed to want to go home ,even though they were enjoying their hoilidays here they just couldnt invisage working in 40 degree heat and dealing with the flys every day .
There major gripe was the pub life and nightlife is shit especially for single people and often found themselves just pissing it up with their backpacker mates in the backpackers hotel beacause they reckon the atmosphere was better .
There is something to be said about where you live as well because when i go into deepest darkest suburbia in perth and go for a drink with a few lads at the old bailey in joondalup ,i can honestly say i never hear one brit say he\she dislikes aussie ,maybe it is something to do with not wanting to voice an opinion OR it could be they are deliriously happy .
Aye, it's a mystery isn't it.

I did know one lad that came out backpacking and went home after only 3 weeks, he was one of the customers where I used to work in England. He said that he just didn't like it.

Wouldn't it be great if people could come over for a year before making any commitments, it should be free and a job waiting though as it would just cost too much otherwise. I doubt that'd ever happen though eh
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:14 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Aye, it's a mystery isn't it.

I did know one lad that came out backpacking and went home after only 3 weeks, he was one of the customers where I used to work in England. He said that he just didn't like it.

Wouldn't it be great if people could come over for a year before making any commitments, it should be free and a job waiting though as it would just cost too much otherwise. I doubt that'd ever happen though eh
I think it's all a big mystery. The only conclusion I've come to about all of this is that we are just all so different and want/enjoy different things in life. We all have different expectations and different needs. I suppose that's why some love it, some hate it and some can't decide so ping pong between places.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
I think it's all a big mystery. The only conclusion I've come to about all of this is that we are just all so different and want/enjoy different things in life. We all have different expectations and different needs. I suppose that's why some love it, some hate it and some can't decide so ping pong between places.

You're probably right there.

I sometimes wish I could wave a magic wand and let everyone be where they are happy. I hate to see people sad, life is too short.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Remember the more Aussies that move to the Uk the more the UK is going to become like OZ. With global warming affecting the UK and all the Aussies moving there because of the brain drain , in 20 Years the Uk will be just like OZ.

GOD FORBID
Old Nov 25th 2006, 11:52 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Exile
This article came up in a thread on the Aussie forum. I thought it might interest people thinking about returning from Australia, as it gives a perspective we don't hear too often.

(Thanks to Iamthecreaturefromuranus for original post)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...340890279.html
I read this article a couple of years ago, when it first came out. I thought it was an excellent piece of work then, and I think the same now.

What impresses me most about it is the people interviewed. They didn't leave Australia because they hated it. They left because they are visionaries, competitors, movers and shakers. They wanted more out of life, and they were prepared to move thousands of kilometres from home in order to get it. Now they are head-hunted by large multinationals, and they work in top positions all over the world.

I have tremendous respect for Aussies like this who leave our country to pursue their dreams. Critics of Australia claim that our "no worries attitude" has created a nation of uneducated dolts who can't be arsed to go the extra mile - but this article just goes to show how wrong that stereotype really is.

Paradoxically, Aussies are also criticised for our "aggressiveness" and our "go get 'em" attitude. But again, this article just goes to show how desirable these characteristics really are.

In late February this year, I entered my current workplace as a low-paid grunt in a temporary position. I took that job and threw everything I had at it, believing that if I worked hard enough my efforts would be recognised.

Three weeks later, I was asked if I wanted to apply for a higher position within the company. I did - and I got it. Result? 50% pay rise and a position of genuine responsibility, in a new role which I have since developed and refined into a more sophisticated role. I have also pushed hard to make my voice heard, maintained regular contact with senior management, and looked for opportunities to expand my duties.

8 months on, I have just had a meeting with my team leader, who informs me that I will be recommended for another pay rise in April next year by himself and the key accounts manager (with whom I work closely).

Nevertheless, this will not stop me from returning home within the next two years - hopefully to similar employment

Still, it's all good. I'm proud to be an Australian, and even more so when I read about the success of my fellow ex-pats.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I read this article a couple of years ago, when it first came out. I thought it was an excellent piece of work then, and I think the same now.

What impresses me most about it is the people interviewed. They didn't leave Australia because they hated it. They left because they are visionaries, competitors, movers and shakers. They wanted more out of life, and they were prepared to move thousands of kilometres from home in order to get it. Now they are head-hunted by large multinationals, and they work in top positions all over the world.

I have tremendous respect for Aussies like this who leave our country to pursue their dreams. Critics of Australia claim that our "no worries attitude" has created a nation of uneducated dolts who can't be arsed to go the extra mile - but this article just goes to show how wrong that stereotype really is.

Paradoxically, Aussies are also criticised for our "aggressiveness" and our "go get 'em" attitude. But again, this article just goes to show how desirable these characteristics really are.

In late February this year, I entered my current workplace as a low-paid grunt in a temporary position. I took that job and threw everything I had at it, believing that if I worked hard enough my efforts would be recognised.

Three weeks later, I was asked if I wanted to apply for a higher position within the company. I did - and I got it. Result? 50% pay rise and a position of genuine responsibility, in a new role which I have since developed and refined into a more sophisticated role. I have also pushed hard to make my voice heard, maintained regular contact with senior management, and looked for opportunities to expand my duties.

8 months on, I have just had a meeting with my team leader, who informs me that I will be recommended for another pay rise in April next year by himself and the key accounts manager (with whom I work closely).

Nevertheless, this will not stop me from returning home within the next two years - hopefully to similar employment

Still, it's all good. I'm proud to be an Australian, and even more so when I read about the success of my fellow ex-pats.
Yes, only one thing really lacking in the Aussie surerman:

hu‧mil‧i‧ty 

–noun
the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:47 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Quokka
Yes, only one thing really lacking in the Aussie surerman:

hu‧mil‧i‧ty 
–noun
the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc.
"Surerman"?

Look, I am simply making the point that the Aussies who get ahead are the Aussies who work hard and look for the right opportunities. To imply that this indicates a lack of humility is simply bizarre.

I've worked hard for everything I have, and I'm entitled to be proud of it. There's nothing wrong with that; nothing whatsoever.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 25th 2006 at 2:50 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 6:42 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

I have tremendous respect for Aussies like this who leave our country to pursue their dreams blah blah brave Aussie battlers blah etc
Give them all medals and put some bunting up. People from the UK have been successful around the globe for hundreds of years and no-one here bats an eyelid. Banging on about it is just another sign of Aussie insecurity.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Give them all medals and put some bunting up. People from the UK have been successful around the globe for hundreds of years and no-one here bats an eyelid. Banging on about it is just another sign of Aussie insecurity.
i think, for them, it's like going to the moon.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:40 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Exile
This article came up in a thread on the Aussie forum. I thought it might interest people thinking about returning from Australia, as it gives a perspective we don't hear too often.

(Thanks to Iamthecreaturefromuranus for original post)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...340890279.html

If you read this newspaper article carefully (and don't just read see what you want to see) a lot of Aussies who travel overseas and live overseas want to do so because there are many opportunities for them career wise, and they feel feel they are mixing with the cream of the worlds crop in their chosen profession. Of all those people leaving. a large percentage come back. Some people are incredibly ambitious and want to "make it big." I think it says a lot for Australia that so many successful, well educated people come from there (seeing some people on this forum have the belief that Australia's education system is flawed) Australia is a minor economy with a small population and can't compete with places like the US in that regard.

I am living in the UK and it is so far from being all that it is not funny. A lot of Aussies come over here for the career and travelling opportunities, I don't know any (from about 30 peeps) who plan on staying here, one girl from Perth wants to go and live in New York and my boyfriend has a British passport and plans on staying 5 years (boo hoo!) An interesting phenom I have noticed is many Aussies in their late 20's and early 30's want to stay in the UK longer because they are free from family responsibilies and can run amok, get drunk every weekend, go out till 5am and generally hold onto to their youth without parents and friends nagging them to settle down. One guy I was speaking to said he was petrified of going home because he is 32, and nearly all his friends have bought houses and are in serious relationships and he won't have anyone to go out with. However, he loves Oz and said thats where he wants to end up.

Me, I am not a money hungry, ambitious type and although I have a honours degree in english, taking on the world and driving a Mercedes does not interest me in the slightest.

Give me happy, healthy people, beautiful weather, great food, a unique landscape, open spaces, a clean environment, competent government and a laid-back lifestyle anytime!!

Last edited by denver; Nov 25th 2006 at 8:45 pm. Reason: errors
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:43 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Well said.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Give me happy, healthy people, beautiful weather, great food, a unique landscape, open spaces, a clean environment, competent government and a laid-back lifestyle anytime!!
Please, you must tell me where this country is.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Oh, pleeeeeaaaaase!
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:50 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Iraq.
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by denver
Oh, pleeeeeaaaaase!
Japan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.