Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:17 am
  #151  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Exile
Funny, I thought the gist of the article was that many educated, ambitious and free-thinking Australians tend to leave Australia because they don't like living among a majority of uneducated dolts in a nation where the only culture is sport and where being chased by flies along the beach is considered a substitute for lifestyle. (Not necessarily my opinion, I'm just summarizing ).

Amazing how you and denver are so blinkered that you can only see it in terms of "look at those amazing Australians from our wonderful homeland".

You really do seem to embody some of the annoying characteristics that people on this part of the forum frequently attribute to you and your fellow nationals. Do you just post to reinforce our prejudices?
Top Post Exile! Karma coming your way
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:21 am
  #152  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Westralia
How many returning are putting their money where their mouth is and revoking their Aus-UK dual citizenship/PR get-out-of-jail-free-when-the-shit-hits-the-fan-back-in-old-blighty card?

Or are the majority planning to be hypocritical ingrates?
Only an idiot would give up their birthright. Those who harp on about this probably couldn't get approval to live in another country for one reason or another. Typical 'ocker' comment that has been driven by australian media agenda in recent times
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:31 am
  #153  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by northernbird
thats because they are british by birth and even their liking of another country does not take away that fact. the australia haters have chosen to live somewhere other than the country of their birth and dislike it yet take its oath of allegiance, smacks of hypocrisy to me too. I can understand those that have australian born kids but not those that don't. Westralia has hit the nail on the head even though I disagree with his method of delivery.
Disagree. People dont know what a place is like until they have spent a few years living in it. Why should anyone give up their right to live in any country as well as uk or oz etc, just because some idiots in the australian media try to push that agenda?

Australia has some ok things going for it, but so does uk. Just because you choose to live in a country does not mean you must cry out from the rooftops how wonderful every bloody thing about it is, how critics are hypocrites. If you want that sort of carry on move to nth korea, because as I understand it Australia is still part of the western democracy.
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:44 am
  #154  
beam me up scotty
 
toandfro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: theres no intelligent life here
Posts: 735
toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Only an idiot would give up their birthright. Those who harp on about this probably couldn't get approval to live in another country for one reason or another. Typical 'ocker' comment that has been driven by australian media agenda in recent times
Originally Posted by Westralia
How many returning are putting their money where their mouth is and revoking their Aus-UK dual citizenship/PR get-out-of-jail-free-when-the-shit-hits-the-fan-back-in-old-blighty card?

Or are the majority planning to be hypocritical ingrates?

agree with KC the get out of the shit free card is the UK passport not the AUst. one and when I go home my Aust passport will lapse into obscurity that should make you happy westralia .
toandfro is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 7:46 am
  #155  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Westralia
WA born and bred. 5th generation Australian.
Our culture has been in a permanent state of flux since Australia's inception. I can understand why migrants that are dissatisfied with certain aspects of the Australian way of life. However, we haven't been afforded periods of population stability European countries have to develop a common culture. This has been worsened with post 1970's policies of multiculturalism - the sanitised term for ethnic segregation.

I would recommend to anyone considering migrating here to take a map of Australia and replace the uninhabited interior desert regions with ocean, leaving strips of coastline and small islands not too dissimilar from the Indonesian archipelego. This will give you a visual representation of the unique, near on insurmountable difficulties associated with developing a strong cultural identity to rival european ones you have become accustomed to and understandably notice the absense of here.

At the same time, I am not meaning to disparage my culture to appease those disillusioned with the life here. It is what it is for the reasons above and won't be changing in a hurry.
I KNEW IT I KNEW IT! A SHINING EXAMPLE OF THE TRUE PERTH CULTURE!

No doubt you got your opinon on dual citizenship from the likes of Howard Sattler & co. Howard sattler (for those who don't know) is a well known radio personality in perth and a strong advocate of doing away with dual citizenship for migrants to oz.

Nothing changes in a hurry Westralia, thats why WA is known as the Wait Awhile state!
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:08 am
  #156  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Westralia
I believe in a safety net but at present, people here are being encouraged not to work through ridiculously excessive levels of welfare designed to keep public servants employed administering these programs and to secure the votes of welfare recipients.
Well..Please explain :P Welfare payments are funded by the Federal government (which for the last 10 yrs has been the Liberals [equivalent of UK Tory party]).

So are you seriously suggesting that welfare recipents are voting JH back into power every federal election?

People who use terms like scroungers and dole bludgers show themselves to have their 'thinking' done for them by the media and not by their own critical and objective analysis.

We have unemployment simply because the economic rationalist theory once put into practice, along with globalisation, drives down the competitiveness of many companies to the point they pay crap wages and conditions, go offshore, or move into a different line.

We have many jobs that many australians cannot do because for years the government failed to provide adequate training for apprentices etc and that is one reason why the 457 visa is used so much.

Further to get training here is hard enough, to live on a student allowance, impossible for many (and there are not enough jobs for all students to supplement their allowance), and at the end , there are still those who have qualifications but cannot obtain f/t work.

So now we have the case of the young single dole recipent who is say 22, and cannot afford to study, cannot get a job due to lack of skills/quals, too many applying, or it pays so little they may as well stay on the dole ( or is insecure esp if its casual work) and hope they get offered something better.
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:17 am
  #157  
BE Enthusiast
 
TopCat3's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 448
TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Disagree. People dont know what a place is like until they have spent a few years living in it. Why should anyone give up their right to live in any country as well as uk or oz etc, just because some idiots in the australian media try to push that agenda?

Australia has some ok things going for it, but so does uk. Just because you choose to live in a country does not mean you must cry out from the rooftops how wonderful every bloody thing about it is, how critics are hypocrites. If you want that sort of carry on move to nth korea, because as I understand it Australia is still part of the western democracy.
Only just...
TopCat3 is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:18 am
  #158  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yeah, all good thanks. Adelaide is lovely just like you said

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you too
Cheers Wendy, Glad Adelaide is agreeing with you all. Have to admit it's one of my favourite places in OZ
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 8:19 am
  #159  
Jedi Princess
 
kiwi_child's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 2,089
kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Only just...
LOL Touche... Good Point
kiwi_child is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:32 am
  #160  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,098
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Disagree. People dont know what a place is like until they have spent a few years living in it. Why should anyone give up their right to live in any country as well as uk or oz etc, just because some idiots in the australian media try to push that agenda?

Australia has some ok things going for it, but so does uk. Just because you choose to live in a country does not mean you must cry out from the rooftops how wonderful every bloody thing about it is, how critics are hypocrites. If you want that sort of carry on move to nth korea, because as I understand it Australia is still part of the western democracy.
What I was saying was that I find it hypocrital that the aussie haters take australian citizenship. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that people shouldn't have dual citizenship.
northernbird is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 9:43 am
  #161  
Life is more than a dream
 
LouiseD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kings Moss, UK - it's a bit like Emmerdale
Posts: 1,389
LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by northernbird
What I was saying was that I find it hypocrital that the aussie haters take australian citizenship. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that people shouldn't have dual citizenship.
I understand what you are saying here but the thing is though NB, it goes on all over the world. People get citizenship for other countries for many reasons, not necessarily because they love that country. You don't need to look further than the UK for that. And the country doesn't lose anything by having these people as citizens - after all they pay taxes and contribute to the economy etc.
LouiseD is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:40 am
  #162  
Ex BE ***** Addict
 
arkon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,770
arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by northernbird
What I was saying was that I find it hypocrital that the aussie haters take australian citizenship. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that people shouldn't have dual citizenship.
This just shows how narrow minded you are. Some people get citizenship because they need to for the familys sake. Like us. I hate the place but am still getting citizenship. So slag off all you like, I'm not going to be in a situation in 20 years time when my boy might choose to come and live hear and have a family, and we cant come and stay for extended periods. You never know what the future might hold and having dual citizenship keeps all our cards on the table.

I know an elderly couple in this exact predicament, Their family is mostly in Aus, they are British and unable to get anything other than a 4 year visa, which has to be re-validated every 6 months by leaving the country and getting the passport stamped. As soon as they are too old and have health issues the will no longer even qualify for that visa and they are desperate to be here to be with the family. Even you must be able to see the potential benefit to getting citizenship and the problems you will face if you were in the same boat as that old couple.
arkon is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:47 am
  #163  
beam me up scotty
 
toandfro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: theres no intelligent life here
Posts: 735
toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by northernbird
What I was saying was that I find it hypocrital that the aussie haters take australian citizenship. I wasn't suggesting for a minute that people shouldn't have dual citizenship.
I don't recall anyone saying they hated australia or australians just examples of the worst they'd come across that enhanced their desire to go home however if you feel agrieved post away
toandfro is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 10:49 am
  #164  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Godzone, utopia, Paradise Island under the sun.
Posts: 1,177
Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by arkon
This just shows how narrow minded you are. Some people get citizenship because they need to for the familys sake. Like us. I hate the place but am still getting citizenship. So slag off all you like, I'm not going to be in a situation in 20 years time when my boy might choose to come and live hear and have a family, and we cant come and stay for extended periods. You never know what the future might hold and having dual citizenship keeps all our cards on the table.
But why on earth would your boy want to live in OZ when he grows if its such a dreadful place as you say it is with no prospects for him , l mean you are'nt taking out Canadian or American citizenship incase he wants to live there one day
Lord Pom Percy is offline  
Old Dec 9th 2006, 11:07 am
  #165  
beam me up scotty
 
toandfro's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: theres no intelligent life here
Posts: 735
toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
But why on earth would your boy want to live in OZ when he grows if its such a dreadful place as you say it is with no prospects for him , l mean you are'nt taking out Canadian or American citizenship incase he wants to live there one day
do your kids at twenty think the same as you or what you say I am in exactly this situation we returned for the sake of our children who are Australian born we will return to UK now they are settled and visit ..
toandfro is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.