Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

"Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Old Aug 20th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

The Undecided Scot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Hi Everyone

I have been reading all the posts and can really relate to them. I'm in the same boat trying to work out when is the best time to return to the UK. Thinking about my two kids and my OH. The problem for me is we all want to return to UK, but my OH will have to stay in the US until he is transferred back to UK. His transfer could be a few years away. I don't know what to do for the best. Should I keep the family together for a few more years and take the kids back at age 11 and 13. Or should I return next year in time for my oldest to start secondary school. We have worked out we would see my OH about every five weeks. Just don't know what to do for the best,but do know we don't want to stay in the US for ever. We go back to the UK every year and bought a house this year for when we return. Now I need to try and sell house in the US. Should I leave next year or stay for a few more years?

Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Keeping the family together would be my own first priority. I would find it pretty hard if I could only see my family once every five weeks.

Is there any way to influence the timing of your OH's transfer back to the UK?

Selling a house in the US sounds almost impossible at the moment, but who knows how long it will be before that situation improves?

It would obviously be ideal from the kids' point of view to move before starting secondary school, but a move at age 13 would also be do'able based on my own experience.

As usual, there are no easy answers, but keep posting and good luck!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

You're asking us? Do realize how confused we all are on this thread?

Seriously though, sometimes it's easier to see the solution to someone else's problems rather than one's own.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Desire
Well theres a lot of us unhappy bunnies out there
Mrsmcgoo I've never really felt great living here in Oz. After 3 years of being here we took a trip back to the UK, friends i had made here were saying 'get the trip out your system, once you've done that you'll remember why you made the move over' Well it did no such thing for me....i loved being back.
That feeling of relief as the plane touched down at Heathrow
And then the horrendous goodbyes 4 weeks later
I don't want to sit here and slag Australia off, we've met some lovely Aussie people who have welcomed us into their homes etc and some parts of Australia are truly beautiful.
But it's just this over riding sense of not belonging.
Like a lot of you have said, Iv'e spent too many days feeling sad and for me too, it's been along time since i laughed so much i cried!
Today i started crying on the school run home.......this isn't me
I've lost myself along the way and i want the old me back!
I've heard people say 'only boring people get bored!'
Well all i can say is 'i must be really boring, because i'm bored shitless here!'
I can relate so so much to what you say. I also went home this year and thought I'd feel more settled on my return but I don't, I feel 10x worse - while I was there I got to know my nephews better who are a similar age to my children, and met my brand new niece and felt awful that my children will grow up without having a relationship with them if we stay in Australia.

I think Australia is a beautiful country and like you I've met some lovely people but it is exactly like you say, and what my husband told me when he first said he wanted to return over a year ago "we just don't belong here".
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Originally Posted by toodlepip
"we just don't belong here".
I think just about sums it up!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

gavinandstacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Counting down the days until we escape our new zealand nightmare and return to the UK and lovely North Wales!
Just returned from a short break in the UK with my eldest daughter who is 15 to see if its really where we want to be. We both loved being back and struggled to board the flight back to boring New Zealand.
So it looks like a March 2011 return
Wife has been permanently under the weather here which is down to homesickness so no regrets from any of us I just wish we could fast forward to March.
Been here 3 years and given it a real go but at the end of the day its not for us, our quality of life has gone downhill, we are bored shitless, fed up of being ripped off with food prices and what about the lack of choice.
We live in village location and are now having to put up with washing being nicked on a regular basis....gypos!
Schools are crap, the kids have gone backwards and are now behaving like the average kiwi kid....like a dickhead
Dont even start me on the driving and as for the meathead blokes wearing those ridicoulous tiny shorts.....and there all called Bruce
I could go on and on but have wasted enough of my breath on this dead end country........
UK here we come....yippeee
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:50 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gavinandstacey
Wife has been permanently under the weather here which is down to homesickness so no regrets from any of us I just wish we could fast forward to March.
Been here 3 years and given it a real go but at the end of the day its not for us, our quality of life has gone downhill, we are bored shitless, fed up of being ripped off with food prices and what about the lack of choice.
We live in village location and are now having to put up with washing being nicked on a regular basis....gypos!
Schools are crap, the kids have gone backwards and are now behaving like the average kiwi kid....like a dickhead
Dont even start me on the driving and as for the meathead blokes wearing those ridicoulous tiny shorts.....and there all called Bruce
I could go on and on but have wasted enough of my breath on this dead end country........

Know exactly what you mean -

Oh - except I don't have to worry about my washing being nicked. We have been here four years now - and everything has holes in it and looks scruffy. No-one would want it.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:00 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Counting down the days until we escape our new zealand nightmare and return to the UK and lovely North Wales!
Just returned from a short break in the UK with my eldest daughter who is 15 to see if its really where we want to be. We both loved being back and struggled to board the flight back to boring New Zealand.
How are you finding moving back with a 15 year old?
We are not moving back yet because our daughter is 15 and she would have to do her GCSE's in England next June!
Due to the schooling moving along slower here and the fact they don't finish until they're 18 we think it would be unfair to just put her back into a UK school now and sit her exams!

I really want to go back now but just can't see it happening for another 3 years
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Picnic is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you considered talking with the schools where you are most likely to settle? It may be possible for your daughter to start at the beginning of the 2 year GCSE course which would give her enough time to get up to speed before those exams, and put her in a good place for 6th form or college.

If you postpone moving back until she is 18 you will be liable for overseas rates for University should she wish to continue to Tertiary education.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I'm dreading that too. I constantly have the 'You must be mad to be leaving the island' from all and sundry, so to have the 'You must be mad to be back' may make me violent!!!!

This whole process is much more stressful and upsetting than I anticipated. Wine isn't helping either! Now what do I do?
Drink more wine!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Lillybilly101. Wish I knew. very odd really, But when I was 74, and doing the washing cooking, shopping and ironing, (my second Wife, had suffered several strokes, and was in a wheelchair), Our female doctor, came every week to see Joan - and jokingly said, I was too ''lively'' for my age. She then said, as she was leaving, I want you to make an appointment, and come to see me.
I was not happy with that, but had no alternative, & as I was on Angina Medication. - it worried me.

When I attended, she said I want to check your Prostate Gland - Not a pleasant prospect - Afterwards - she said - now I know, what makes you tick - That is the smoothest gland I have ever felt - you are like a young man! - So I don't think it is the Thai Climate - least I hope not, or going back to the UK, could see me off! dontheturner
Boy, she really wanted to get to your equipment. I think she wants you.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Well Coansha! Come on my girl! DO IT!!!! at 43, you are just a young spring chicken. - dear me! Bet I could run and catch you easily!
I am just 80, and planning on returning to Shropshire in March- and got to buy furniture all over again! Good Luck - dontheturner
Wow there a chance for me yet at 72 and like you I'm a spring chicken
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yay for North Wales
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Well done GavinandStacey! A lot of us feel the same but just haven't got as far you in actually doing it. I'm taking my daughter back for a trip home in October and I'm hoping that she too will see how much more alive it is over there. She'll see how much more alive I am too! She was 7 when she left and is now 14yrs. Wish we could all have booked but too expensive plus my 16 yr old son has to catch up with school work in an important NCEA year. Don't get me started on why he's behind but just put it down to the lax,laid back attitude of teenagers here. It's great as they grow up with the freedom they didn't have in the UK but it soon backfires on you.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of
Red face Re: "Inbetweenies" Thread:For those who are definitely returning, but not for a while

Originally Posted by cheers
Wow there a chance for me yet at 72 and like you I'm a spring chicken
Well Cheers - just keep that beauty smooth!

Regular Massages help too! - but have to admit, this over-the-top heat is just too much for me, so we cannot wait to leave - This global warming thing, is so much more noticeable here, in Thailand, than UK. dontheturner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.