I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Old Jan 26th 2017, 6:55 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I had that regularly in Canada with everyone I met. I would say that would be nice, hand over ph. No. Or email and nothing! In England usually we say that would be nice, when? then make a date in future.
We used to get it from the young adults in OH's family, who'd probably only made contact with us because commanded to by their parents.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just a little bit surprised that the OP hasn't thought outside the two boxes marked 'Canada' and 'Britain'. There are hundreds of nations in the world, dozens of which speak English. And even within Britain and Canada there are hundreds of different places that are different from one another. I lived in Toronto too many years ago for my experience to be relevant, and I chose not to live there when I married***. I also wouldn't live in St John NB or St John's Newfieland or Winnipeg. Or Windsor or Barrie in Ontario. But there are places over in BC I (we) would be happy enough to live - and Montreal, too.
*** Instead, we moved to the Bahamas, where at least the weather was good

In England, I've lived in London and Bath, and enjoyed them. But there are towns I wouldn't live - Sheffield, Bristol, Newcastle. So what I'm trying to say is: Don't choose a country to live in, just a town.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 2:01 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
However, being here is affecting my health and well-being and I need to get away from it, this is such an unfriendly place for me. After 11 years here, I've come to understand that I'm never going to be accepted, as I'm an immigrant and am different, despite my efforts to fit in(yes, born and bred Canadians, as 'friendly' as those outside the country perceive them to be, do have an 'us' and 'them' mentality towards immigrants.)
I was fed-up, miserable and grumpy all the time in Toronto, until my work permit came through, then I was happy. And that was much shorter than 11 years.

Working even a few hours a week can help change your mood a lot, and your kid(s) will pick up on your unhappiness if it doesn't change.

Given that I am British and lived there for many years since birth and contributed to the economy, it sticks in my craw that my husband has to pay a not inconsiderable sum for a visa, when anyone from the EU can just walk on in the door.
Apparently you haven't lived there or contributed in the last 11 years. The sense of entitlement is strong in this one.

EU nationals can't 'just walk in the door'. They're subject to immigration checks the same as everyone else, and once in the UK, have to find work within 3 months (or 6 months if they've ended a job in the UK). There are limitations on benefits, and it's not as easy for them as some of the UK media leads Brits to believe.

11 years
You'll be subject to the same Habitual Residence Test as any other immigrant to the UK should you want to access public services, and you'll fail it for the first three months because of your savings and because it's your decision to return to the UK. That you were born in the UK will mean little.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 8:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why the OP wants to return to the UK - with her attitudes she will certainly fit back in very well!
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:41 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
I can see why the OP wants to return to the UK - with her attitudes she will certainly fit back in very well!
Regrettable, but true.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:49 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Regrettable, but true.
Agreed, but it doesn't address the problems the OP is having in Ottawa.

I do suspect that part of the problem is coming from a small town to a large city. They're entire different cultures and pace of life.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I do suspect that part of the problem is coming from a small town to a large city. They're entire different cultures and pace of life.
Also, from what I hear Ottawa is a Civil Service Town, like Canberra in Australia - which everybody who's not a CS reckons houses the most incredibly boring people imaginable.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 5:55 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I agree that moving from a rural area to a city, or vice versa, is in some ways a bigger culture shock than moving countries. In the last two decades I've moved from city to rural, back to the city and then back to rural again. Each time, I've found myself either missing the amenities of the city, or the peace and quiet of the countryside.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone very wisely said on this forum, "when you move countries you do not leave your problems BEHIND you take them with you".
OP issues are more about her perception of life and her life style rather then living in Ottawa. Moving to the UK is not going to resolve all her issues. I go to UK every year and sometimes several times a year and its not a land of milk and honey. It already has plenty of people who adhere to a culture of entitlement.
Reading the posts of OP I can see she is suffering from depression and her anger is part of the depression. I would urge her to work with her doctor to get the best treatment.
Returning to UK with a Canadian citizen is not going to be easy especially if there are no relatives to help her and no job.

Last edited by geoff52; Apr 22nd 2017 at 6:11 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I do not think your statement is fair! This is a person reaching out in her time of desperation. TrishP I hope you are feeling better and have made progress. We have not heard much back from you lately.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with your first part but not the part about choosing individual cities that you wouldn't live in as my experience has shown it can be silly to discrimate so much. We moved back to the UK last year and didn't know where to live. There had always been places I had no real pull to live to say the least. One being Glasgow. But, guess where I was offered a job. Glasgow. I was pretty nervous and very nervous for my wife who was born and bred in a hot country. What we have found though is that after living in many places across 13 countries is that this is by far the best place we have lived.

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
I'm just a little bit surprised that the OP hasn't thought outside the two boxes marked 'Canada' and 'Britain'. There are hundreds of nations in the world, dozens of which speak English. And even within Britain and Canada there are hundreds of different places that are different from one another. I lived in Toronto too many years ago for my experience to be relevant, and I chose not to live there when I married***. I also wouldn't live in St John NB or St John's Newfieland or Winnipeg. Or Windsor or Barrie in Ontario. But there are places over in BC I (we) would be happy enough to live - and Montreal, too.
*** Instead, we moved to the Bahamas, where at least the weather was good

In England, I've lived in London and Bath, and enjoyed them. But there are towns I wouldn't live - Sheffield, Bristol, Newcastle. So what I'm trying to say is: Don't choose a country to live in, just a town.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Personally I do not think your statement is fair! This is a person reaching out in her time of desperation. TrishP I hope you are feeling better and have made progress. We have not heard much back from you lately.
well said FB, thinking of you Trish, hope everything works out and that you're back in my neck of the woods soon
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Desperation born of discontent - fuelled by exaggerated senses of entitlement & personal superiority. Will fit in well back in UK!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Apr 23rd 2017 at 9:54 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Desperation born of discontent - fuelled by exaggerated senses of entitlement & personal superiority. Will fit in well back in UK!
Apparently you've been a member of this site for barely a month so unless you've been lurking for some time or using another name, how could you know much at all about the OP's circumstances?

As it happens, the OP and I crossed paths a number of years ago in Canada. In the contact I have had with her, I found her to be a hardworking and dedicated individual to her profession both in the UK and Canada; not to mention being very family-oriented. An "exaggerated sense of entitlement and personal superiority?" You are indeed being unfair and perhaps you may want to reconsider your judgemental attitude.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by curleytops
Apparently you've been a member of this site for barely a month so unless you've been lurking for some time or using another name, how could you know much at all about the OP's circumstances?

As it happens, the OP and I crossed paths a number of years ago in Canada. In the contact I have had with her, I found her to be a hardworking and dedicated individual to her profession both in the UK and Canada; not to mention being very family-oriented. An "exaggerated sense of entitlement and personal superiority?" You are indeed being unfair and perhaps you may want to reconsider your judgemental attitude.
My judgement is based purely on the OP's own posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.