I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:59 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Brit, get me out of here!

Originally Posted by TrishP
Yes, I am well versed on the financial requirements for the visa. Not sure of your financial situation, but possessing $62K is a lot of money for me, as is the visa fee, as I am a stay-at-home parent with no income.

Given that I am British and lived there for many years since birth and contributed to the economy, it sticks in my craw that my husband has to pay a not inconsiderable sum for a visa, when anyone from the EU can just walk on in the door.
with my post #10, I figured I trying to help provide input

Good luck to you

Last edited by not2old; Nov 1st 2016 at 4:02 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... anyone from the EU can just walk on in the door.
Well Britain is about to put a stop to that!
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I think the financial requirements for family members of British citizens are unfair, and I have taken part in the campaign against them.

But I also think that freedom of movement in the EU is a good thing, and the decision to leave the EU is a catastrophe for the UK.

If you are part of a group being treated unfairly, resenting another group not being treated unfairly isn't logical or likely to help you.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well Britain is about to put a stop to that!
Is it now?
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Enjoy your 12th winter.
By all accounts, it's supposed to be a harsh one, lucky me.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
with my post #10, I figured I trying to help provide input

Good luck to you

Thank you. However, today was just about venting, feeling myself slowly dying in this place.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
I think the financial requirements for family members of British citizens are unfair, and I have taken part in the campaign against them.

But I also think that freedom of movement in the EU is a good thing, and the decision to leave the EU is a catastrophe for the UK.

If you are part of a group being treated unfairly, resenting another group not being treated unfairly isn't logical or likely to help you.
How very supportive of you. I didn't ask for logic when I posted to vent frustration.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Just needing to vent - I seriously need to get out of this terrible country, as the passive-aggressive arrogance is really getting to me! I'm fed up walking on eggshells round them, for fear of offending someone. This is a very lonely country to live in
Hmmm, that's how I felt when I arrived back in UK after 18 yrs absence, in order to please my wife who wanted to be back.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't take living here too long to see the underlying aggression. One only has to read comments on news articles (anonymity gives them bravery to express how they really feel) re immigrants to see where feelings truly lie.
Of course it's totally different in the UK.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Just needing to vent - I seriously need to get out of this terrible country, as the passive-aggressive arrogance is really getting to me! I'm fed up walking on eggshells round them, for fear of offending someone. This is a very lonely country to live in

Unfortunately, I'm stuck here for the foreseeable future, as I'm married to a Canadian. He's willing (read: reluctantly) to move to the UK and we're aiming to go next year for a holiday so he can check it out. I want to get on a plane today and walk away from this place, can't stand it any more!
I have no advice for you sadly but my heart goes out to you. I hated the UK even though I was brought up there. You need to be somewhere that good people live-try Italy !
Old Nov 1st 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pica
I have no advice for you sadly but my heart goes out to you. I hated the UK even though I was brought up there. You need to be somewhere that good people live-try Italy !
Thanks. It's horrible being stuck somewhere like a rat in a trap and watching life tick by. Could quite happily go to sleep tonight and just never wake up.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
But it is kind of understandable when you're having a frustrated vent.
...One only has to read comments on news articles (anonymity gives them bravery to express how they really feel) re immigrants to see where feelings truly lie.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Of course it's totally different in the UK.
Indeed, one could argue the Brexit vote and the subsequent belief that foreign people should now leave the UK represents just that.

Thanks. It's horrible being stuck somewhere like a rat in a trap and watching life tick by. Could quite happily go to sleep tonight and just never wake up.
Over the years quite a few have commented that Ottawa is particularly dull. Any chance of a move somewhere else?
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK
.... Indeed, one could argue the Brexit vote and the subsequent belief that foreign people should now leave the UK represents just that. ....
The Brexit vote didn't cause the British to think like that, any more than Donald Trump has caused Americans to be disillusioned with the direction that the USA has gone and is going.

Anybody who thinks that these are new phenomena in either country must have had their head stuck in the sand.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 1:54 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks. It's horrible being stuck somewhere like a rat in a trap and watching life tick by.
I feel a bit that way about NZ sometimes. It is just so far away from anywhere and anything. Like I suddenly became a bystander.

Could quite happily go to sleep tonight and just never wake up.
Nopes. No.No.No. Nopes.
Rubbish to feel that way inside of yourself. I hope you and your OH can agree on some sort of exit plan from where you now are.

and yes...

...come on here to vent anytime. It's a part of what BE is for. Care and support.

Have a hug.
Old Nov 2nd 2016, 10:17 am
Back Home

Barnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond reputeBarnstaple has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, TrishP, I am so sorry that you are going through so much pain. I tried to make it work in Canada for 23 years, and failed. But my problem was missing the UK and everything about the place. We went there with the attitude of "when in Canada (Rome) do as they do", and we did have friends and did fit in well. I have some experience of Ottawa and know that the City is somewhat "sterile" i.e. cold and unfriendly, mainly because it is frequented by Government types. We learned that Canadians do like to think of themselves as being the "friendliest people in the World, eh", but that seems to be a national myth. I don't wish to patronize you in any way, because I had so much pain living there, for many reasons, not just to do with the country or its people; but, assuming that you have (deep down in your heart) really tried to reach out and make friends, and you really do hate being there, then the only answer is to get back here. Do not make yourself ill, and do not get to a place where you are so sick that you cannot get back (as I nearly did). Get on a plane and come back, if only for a short stay, and see if your dreams and thoughts about the UK do jive with the place. And if your feelings persist, there is only one thing to do; return for good. You only have one life. But do not make it into a $100,000 cure, where you bounce back and forth across the ocean because you have one foot in each country. It did not happen to me, because I got better almost as soon as I returned to England. And my health (emotionally and physically) has improved so much being in Devon. I am part of the very earth, and it will always be so. Good luck, thinking of you, and ignore any unfriendly/silly comments that you may get. This is very personal and you will work it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.