Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by lf1
Get working on that book!
+1!!!! a sure bestseller!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:04 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
I shall mention you all in the credits when I'm published!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:19 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Lol! Someone on here suggested maybe I should write a book - maybe I will!!!!

I read other paramedic's books and its all - dashing through the night to save a dying child, blah blah blah! I'm probably not what most people expect a paramedic to be, I'm clumsy, I have a bit of a temper () and I always manage to put my foot right in it ha ha ha!!! I can, however, step up to the plate when it matters most!

Mine would be more along the lines of - walked into a elderly pts house who had chest pain, tripped up and fell face first into his lap. Pt laughed so hard he said his chest pain had now gone and could I please do that again! (True story!)

Or the one where, as a single responder, I walked in to a busy Sth London nightclub to deal with someone who'd been 'bottled' on the dance floor. Both hands full of equipment I made my way to the pt only to have my path blocked by a drunk idiot who said "Ooh, are you a strippergram love?" and promptly ripped my shirt open - grrrrr! This was met with a swift kick to the nuts by yours truly and, as I was refastening my shirt and he was writhing on the floor in agony, I said to him "Oh btw, paramedics wear steel toe capped boots LOVE, that'll hurt for a while, you might need to get a bag of frozen peas on the way home!" (Another true story!)

My fav story? Well that has to be the elderly lady who collapsed in church. Walked in and could not see the pt anywhere then I saw people pointing between the pews, I was astounded to see the service carry on around her whilst she lay on the cold floor. After checking her out I helped her up and put a blanket around her, I asked her "Do you know what happened love?" she said "I don't know dear, I think I was just bored and fell asleep!" Ha ha ha! Took her home and we had tea and battenburg cake - lovely!

Miss English humour so much, can't wait to be home where people 'get' me and my horse play. One of the girls I worked with this week said "Jeez, how DO you get away with the things you say to people?" I just thought I was being funny!!!!
OMG what a laugh! I hope that if I have to call an ambulance at any time that you show up!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:20 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolandpete
Hi MissBetty, I've just read this thread and I know exctly what you mean. It becomes an ache in our hearts to be back where we belong. It can be very lonely being an expat. I know we will be going 'home' within a few years and I'm really looking forward to that day and I'm sure as the time comes closer it will at times become unbearable. But I see my time abroad as a learning experience, not to sound too analytically introvert, but I see the time here and the next few years as a time to ask myself' what have I learned about myself through this experience?' Some of my answers are;

1) I'm British, and I took that for granted when I lived there but I now realise that it's a proud part of who I am and it runs through my veins, and I miss it. (especially M and S christmas dinners and a treacle tart to die for. I tried making one this Christmas, but the oven blew and it came out like a piece of granite, even the dogs wouldn't eat it and they eat anything, it's a good door stop though)

2) I don't want to grow old in this country and I want to be in the UK at the next coronation as I've never witnessed one live, (please hang in there Elizabeth II.)

3) I do not enjoy the fact of being the 'other' in a country and realise that immigrants to the UK really need our friendship.

I really hope the time flies for you over the next few months and just think of the wonderful hugs and welcome you will be receiving soon.

ps, In times of stress have you tried taking a magnesium supplement?, it's a bloody miracle supplement.
Oh dear, must have been bad if the dogs didn't even like it!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
+2. I want a signed copy
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:04 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
OMG what a laugh! I hope that if I have to call an ambulance at any time that you show up!
I'll do my best! I prescribe red wine and Ben & Jerry's Phish Food for you lol!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 12th 2013 at 11:07 am.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 11:06 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
+2. I want a signed copy
No worries! Maybe I'd better write under my pseudonym to protect the guilty ha ha ha!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

No worries! Maybe I'd better write under my pseudonym to protect the guilty ha ha ha!!!
"Confessions of a Practical Paramedic" by Miss Betty
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:33 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

J K Rowling - Look Out!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:42 pm
Practical Paramedic

Ooh er missus lol! Better not call it "Fifty Shades of Medic" then?!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Feb 12th 2013 at 1:44 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:42 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by lf1
J K Rowling - Look Out!!!!
Ha ha ha!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ooh er missus lol! Better not call it "Fifty Shades of Medic" then?!!! Ha ha ha!!!!!
Oooh I think I like that title even better
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

tomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura abouttomkent45 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Tom thanks, I'm trying, I promise lol!

As for applying for jobs well yes, I've looked into that but its just not possible in my job. I have enough atm to live on for 3 months, if I could get a job I'd come home straight away BUT as a paramedic you have to attend not only an interview but a medical, fitness test, written exam and a practical skills assessment. You also have to provide your CPD (continual professional development) folder at the interview stage.
Hello Miss Betty!

I can see that in your sector is more difficult to find a job in a different place if you are not living there. Anyway I am sure you will be able to find your way soon
Old Feb 14th 2013, 12:57 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by tomkent45
Hello Miss Betty!

I can see that in your sector is more difficult to find a job in a different place if you are not living there. Anyway I am sure you will be able to find your way soon
Thanks Tom, should work out ok
Old Feb 14th 2013, 1:19 pm
The Brit is back

I'll do my best! I prescribe red wine and Ben & Jerry's Phish Food for you lol!!!
OOH I lurve Phish food and can't wait to eat it by the bucket load!
Do prefer rose wine though, goes down quicker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.