Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:54 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Ok I'm here and I want to talk about STAIRS!!! Yes that's right - stairs!

Now in the UK most houses have stairs, my house has stairs, my Mum's house has stairs and so does my sister's house. So I think its pretty normal to have them in your house but it seems to me that something strange has been going on in Blighty since I left with regard to stairs!

It all started the other day when I ordered a new cooker. Now one of the things I love about the UK is that you do have the option of free delivery a lot of the time unlike here where you can spend $50,000 in a shop and they STILL charge you for delivery

However I opted to pay for delivery on this occasion as I wanted the option to pick a day so my Mum could go down and let the guys in. When they got there they said to my Mum "Oh, its up STAIRS is it?!" Um well yes, it said on the order 'Flat 2' so yes it is up stairs. Well they shook their heads, looked at said stairs and said to my Mum "Oh well ok but we can only carry it up 26 stairs." WTF???? There are approx 30 stairs to my flat - sigh! My Mum is 66, she is Supermum but I don't think even she could manage to carry a cooker up some stairs all by herself! Luckily they agreed to carry it up the extra stairs for 9.99 GBP - how kind lol! Mum had to ring up the company first and pay on her credit card- seriously!!!!

So then I get a letter from the sister shipping company in the UK. We see your property is up some stairs? Yes, its a flat! Well we are going to have to charge you another 120GBP as our staff have to carry your stuff upstairs.............. grrrr!!!! Seeing as they have all my possessions,including the Jimmy Choos, I paid up meekly and without argument, I don't have a leg to stand on really so I'd might as well make sure those legs have feet wearing nice shoes!

So I try to order a nice (expensive!) table and 4 chairs online but at the checkout I find that I have to pay an extra 50GBP on top of the delivery charge. Why? Oh yes, you guessed it - because they have to be carried upstairs FFS!!!! The table has to be assembled and its quite small so thought no, stuff it, that's ridiculous, I will go and buy somewhere else cos now I am rather miffed!

I do understand about workplace health and safety but I would have thought it was a given that, if you work as a delivery person, you are going to have to carry some things up bloody stairs at certain times during your working life. It should be part of the service, why do I have to pay extra for it? Its like me being a paramedic but saying "Ooh no, I don't do blood love, you'll have to bandage that yourself or I'll have to charge you 5 pounds, here's the stuff you need, just call me when you're done!"

I have now ordered some stuff online from Tescos (cleverly collecting Clubcard points for wine purchase!) a vacuum cleaner, a television and a mattress - so lets see what happens shall we? I'm confident Tescos won't let me down but................ you just never know

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 21st 2013 at 3:51 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:16 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MissBetty

Now in the UK most houses have stairs, my house has stairs, my Mum's house has stairs and so does my sister's house. So I think its pretty normal to have them in your house but it seems to me that something strange has been going on in Blighty since I left with regard to stairs!

It all started the other day when I ordered a new cooker. Now one of the things I love about the UK is that you do have the option of free delivery a lot of the time unlike here where you can spend $50,000 in a shop and they STILL charge you for delivery

However I opted to pay for delivery on this occasion as I wanted the option to pick a day so my Mum could go down and let the guys in. When they got there they said to my Mum "Oh, its up STAIRS is it?!" Um well yes, it said on the order 'Flat 2' so yes it is up stairs. Well they shook their heads, looked at said stairs and said to my Mum "Oh well ok but we can only carry it up 26 stairs." WTF???? There are approx 30 stairs to my flat - sigh! My Mum is 66, she is Supermum but I don't think even she could manage to carry a cooker up some stairs all by herself! Luckily they agreed to carry it up the extra stairs for 9.99 GBP - how kind lol! Mum had to ring up the company first and pay on her credit card- seriously!!!!

So then I get a letter from the sister shipping company in the UK. We see your property is up some stairs? Yes, its a flat! Well we are going to have to charge you another 120GBP as our staff have to carry your stuff upstairs.............. grrrr!!!! Seeing as they have all my possessions,including the Jimmy Choos, I paid up meekly and without argument, I don't have a leg to stand on really so I'd might as well make sure those legs have feet wearing nice shoes!

So I try to order a nice (expensive!) table and 4 chairs online but at the checkout I find that I have to pay an extra 50GBP on top of the delivery charge. Why? Oh yes, you guessed it - because they have to be carried upstairs FFS!!!! The table has to be assembled and its quite small so thought no, stuff it, that's ridiculous, I will go and buy somewhere else cos now I am rather miffed!

I do understand about workplace health and safety but I would have thought it was a given that, if you work as a delivery person, you are going to have to carry some things up bloody stairs at certain times during your working life. It should be part of the service, why do I have to pay extra for it? Its like me being a paramedic but saying "Ooh no, I don't do blood love, you'll have to bandage that yourself or I'll have to charge you 5 pounds, here's the stuff you need, just call me when you're done!"

I have now ordered some stuff online from Tescos (cleverly collecting Clubcard points for wine purchase!) a vacuum cleaner, a television and a mattress - so lets see what happens shall we? I'm confident Tescos won't let me down but................ you just never know
Miss Betty, where the heck have you been... we've been worried about you

It's amazing how delivery guys react when they realise there are stairs involved. Do they think something is going to reach out and grab them as they're walking up them? The phantom delivery tripper??? I'd turn around and say " Okay, seeing as you can't be bothered carrying this up the bloody stairs you can just knock of £20 and I'll do it myself" But I can see that would rapidly leave me standing all alone at the bottom of the stairs with something enormous, trying to figure out how to get it up the stairs and how to kick myself for not knowing when to keep my mouth shut.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:23 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
Miss Betty, where the heck have you been... we've been worried about you

It's amazing how delivery guys react when they realise there are stairs involved. Do they think something is going to reach out and grab them as they're walking up them? The phantom delivery tripper??? I'd turn around and say " Okay, seeing as you can't be bothered carrying this up the bloody stairs you can just knock of £20 and I'll do it myself" But I can see that would rapidly leave me standing all alone at the bottom of the stairs with something enormous, trying to figure out how to get it up the stairs and how to kick myself for not knowing when to keep my mouth shut.
Lol! I have been working and its been a mare of a week in Loony Town - nothing serious just dealing with people who are SO breathtakingly stupid I can't quite get my poor lil head around it! I took one man to hospital, who didn't really need to go, because he begged me to take him, the reason? To get away from his wife and she was such an old dragon - I agreed cos I felt sorry for him! I might even share the stories if anyone is interested? Ha ha ha!!!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:27 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Lol! I have been working and its been a mare of a week in Loony Town - nothing serious just dealing with people who are SO breathtakingly stupid I can't quite get my poor lil head around it! I took one man to hospital, who didn't really need to go, because he begged me to take him, the reason? To get away from his wife and she was such an old dragon - I agreed cos I felt sorry for him! I might even share the stories if anyone is interested? Ha ha ha!!!

Of course we're interested..... We need our Miss Betty fix of fun, laughter and frivolity.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:46 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
[/COLOR]

Of course we're interested..... We need our Miss Betty fix of fun, laughter and frivolity.
Ok are you sitting comfortably? Well let me begin.....................

The other day I had to go lights and sirens to a man who was - alledgedly - very short of breath and had dengue fever (recent outbreak in town). I get there in about 5 mins to be met outside by his rude, agitated wife who tells me he is very ill and I am to hurry up ....................and then she runs off. Ok. So its raining - of course - I grab my drug kit, my oxygen bag and the defibrillator, bear in mind I am all alone and this is very heavy. Off into the house I troop through the pouring rain to find her standing by the sofa looking confused as hubby has..................................... disappeared.

I look outside and there he is, my 'seriously' ill patient SMOKING A FAG WTF???!!!!!!! So out I go and he says there is nothing wrong with him and he has no idea why I have been called - I am mildly irritated to say the least. I check him over and the following conversation ensues:-

Me "Why am I here?"
Wife "He's very sick, he's got dengue fever!"
Me "I don't think he has, why do you think that?'
Wife "Well he's got a temperature"
Me "Yes well he does (have taken temp/pulse) but I see he has some antibiotics here on the table"
Husband "Yeah, I've got a chest infection, saw the doc yesterday" Puff puff puff.
Me "Well that would explain the temperature then, did the doctor say you had dengue sir, have you had a blood test?"
Husband "Nope"
Wife "Of course he has it, I can tell just by looking at him!'
Me "Do you have any medical training madam? Are you a doctor or a nurse?"
Wife 'No but the neighbour has had dengue so he must have it, he's very very sick!"
Me "Do you think a mosquito bit your neighbour then bit your husband? Did you manage to capture said mosquito for analysis?"
Wife "No but he does have dengue I know he does and I want you to take him to hospital right now!!!"
Me "Listen to me, YOUR HUSBAND DOES NOT HAVE DENGUE FEVER FFS!!!!!!!"

Husband now lights up a second fag - sigh! Wife storms off yelling obscenities at us both.

Husband "Can you take me to hospital please, I'm begging you"
Me "I can sir but what for? Your medication will take 7 days to kick in, do you feel really ill?"
Husband "No but to be honest I would just like to get away from my wife for a while, she is driving me mad!"
Me "Yes sir, I can totally understand that, of course I'll take you, are you ready to go now?"
Husband "Can I finish my fag first?"
Me "Of course sir, why not!"
Husband "By the way, I LOVE your sarcasm!" (Bursts out laughing)
Me " You're very welcome sir!" start giggling along with patient ha ha ha!!!

The End

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 21st 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Yes, please tell all Love this thread
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

funny stuff Miss Betty, as they say you can't make this s..t up..
Old Mar 21st 2013, 4:58 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Ok are you sitting comfortably? Well let me begin.....................

The other day I had to go lights and sirens to a man who was - alledgedly - very short of breath and had dengue fever (recent outbreak in town). I get there in about 5 mins to be met outside by his rude, agitated wife who tells me he is very ill and I am to hurry up ....................and then she runs off. Ok. So its raining - of course - I grab my kit, my oxygen bag and the defibrillator, bear in mind I am all alone and this is very heavy. Off into the house I troop through the pouring rain to find her standing by the sofa looking confused as hubby has disappeared.

I look outside and there he is, my 'seriously' ill patient SMOKING A FAG WTF???!!!!!!! So out I go and he says there is nothing wrong with him and he has no idea why I have been called - I am mildly irritated to say the least. I check him over and the following conversation ensues:-

Me "Why am I here?"
Wife "He's very sick, he's got dengue fever!"
Me "I don't think he has, why do you think that?'
Wife "Well he's got a temperature"
Me "Yes well he does (have taken temp/pulse) but I see he has some antibiotics here on the table"
Husband "Yeah, I've got a chest infection, saw the doc yesterday" Puff puff puff.
Me "Did the doctor say you had dengue sir, have you had a blood test?"
Husband "Nope"
Wife "Of course he has it, I can tell just by looking at him!'
Me "Do you have any medical training madam? Are you a doctor or a nurse?"
Wife 'No but the neighbour has had dengue so he must have it, he's very very sick!"
Me "Do you think a mosquito bit your neighbour then bit your husband? Did you manage to capture said mosquito for analysis?"
Wife "No but he does have dengue I know he does and I want you to take him to hospital right now!!!"
Me "Listen to me, YOUR HUSBAND DOES NOT HAVE DENGUE FEVER FFS!!!!!!!"

Husband now lights up a second fag - sigh! Wife storms off yelling obscenities at us both.

Husband "Can you take me to hospital please, I'm begging you"
Me "I can sir but what for? Your medication will take 7 days to kick in, do you feel really ill?"
Husband "No but to be honest I would just like to get away from my wife for a while, she is driving me mad!"
Me "Yes sir, I can understand that of course I'll take you, are you ready to go now?"
Husband "Can I finish my fag first?"
Me "Of course sir, why not!"
Husband "By the way, I LOVE your sarcasm!" (Bursts out laughing)
Me " You're very welcome sir!" start giggling along with patient ha ha ha!!!

The End

OMG LOL Just have to luv it At least you can't say your job is boring..
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:05 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by fulwood
funny stuff Miss Betty, as they say you can't make this s..t up..

You are so right - there is no cure for stupid!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:18 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by passthevalium
Yes, please tell all Love this thread
Done! I have another absolute corker from this week but I'll save it as I have to get off the computer and do stuff! I'm sure most people up here are related in some way to Forrest Gump!
Old Mar 21st 2013, 5:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

Done! I have another absolute corker from this week but I'll save it as I have to get off the computer and do stuff! I'm sure most people up here are related in some way to Forrest Gump!
You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I see your getting into character for England

Deep breath and listen: http://youtu.be/qHFxncb1gRY
Old Mar 21st 2013, 6:35 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I see your getting into character for England

Deep breath and listen: http://youtu.be/qHFxncb1gRY
Ha ha ha! I realised now why I was so fit in the UK, it wasn't the running or the cycling along the seafront it was carrying my shopping up the stairs!

I just bought a lovely table and 4 chairs from a place that only charged 9.99 for delivery - awesome! The best bit? They say on their website and I quote:-

If you ask nicely, our delivery driver will help you carry items up stairs.

Love it! Well they got my vote - AND my money
Old Mar 21st 2013, 8:52 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty, glad you are back!! Reading your posts was a great way to start the day. I can't believe these firms haven't encountered stairs before or maybe the word flat now means bungalow When you first started your story, I thought, "Oh no, she's fallen down some", so I am pleased to hear that was not the case.

Last edited by lf1; Mar 21st 2013 at 9:27 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the latest dose of the funnies, Miss B as usual you did not disappoint! Eagerly awaiting the next installment

On the subject of stairs - no longer an issue for us, we live in a bungalow these days and it suits us just fine. I remember when the mover came in to see me before we moved up from Folkestone. We had about 10 steps up the front of the building to the lobby entrance but there was a very small lift (music to a delivery person's ears) (along with the old back stairs) serving the building and we lived on the second floor. I detected the look of trepidation on the mover dude's face when he saw our bedroom suite and I knew he was thinking OMG its gonna be fun hauling that puppy down the back stairs. I assured him that everything in the flat had come up in the lift and there was no reason it couldn't go back down that way and that dh would take the bed and the wardrobe apart for them. When I showed a photo of the new place which was mover friendly to say the least I thought he was going to kiss me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.