Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by lf1
I think "the earth moving for you" must be a good sign!
Hope so - feels much better though
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:07 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Changing the comments slightly I am going to post here since this is where I first posted the news. Handed my notice in today and while doing so we had an 'earthquake' here in So. CA. Now I have been known to move mountains, or at least climb them when not needed (take the hard route to a solution) but not sure whether this potentially bodes good or bad for me? The office building was doing a nice jelly impression! I've seen/felt them before but the timing was impeccable on this one!

Sorry about the earthquake. My husband had to end a telephone interview in Christchurch New Zealand because an earthquake was taking place !

Well done for handing in your resignation. Good luck with the rest of your plans.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Changing the comments slightly I am going to post here since this is where I first posted the news. Handed my notice in today and while doing so we had an 'earthquake' here in So. CA. Now I have been known to move mountains, or at least climb them when not needed (take the hard route to a solution) but not sure whether this potentially bodes good or bad for me? The office building was doing a nice jelly impression! I've seen/felt them before but the timing was impeccable on this one!
Congratulations, that's a big hurdle over with. Can we expect fireworks for your final day at work?
Old Mar 12th 2013, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Congratulations, that's a big hurdle over with. Can we expect fireworks for your final day at work?

Actually now I'm thinking of flying to the East coast standing on the NJ shore with a stick and trying to make the seas part all the way back home!
Old Mar 12th 2013, 7:23 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Actually now I'm thinking of flying to the East coast standing on the NJ shore with a stick and trying to make the seas part all the way back home!
Excellent idea, let me know how it goes !
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:34 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by passthevalium
To Miss Betty,
I would like to place an order for your upcoming book which will be released with a free gift of "Miss Betty's Drinking Bra". Hopefully it can be used whilst teaching undergraduates, as I need something to stop me from strangling most of them. If not, then please forward it to
Head Psychiatrist
The Asylum
NZ

Thank You
I will swop your undergrads for some of my staff - I have had to lock up the kitchen knives to take temptation out of my way!!! Tearing my hair out today
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:36 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, that's gold! Congrats on handing the notice in!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:50 pm
Practical Paramedic

Ok so I'm back from a few days away and it was interesting to say the least!

I went to a place called Mermaid Beach, I used to live there my first two years in Oz and I loved it - it was always my 'what if' place. 'What if', I'd stayed there and never moved to the Outback? 'What if', I moved back there - would I feel differently about leaving? When I get fed up I always go back there for a few days, it has an amazing beach and I feel so happy when I am there, I'd even considered buying a place there at one point. Needless to say I couldn't wait to get back even though I was feeling rather sad it would be my last visit. Well.................................

I got there just fine, the minute I came out of the airport I was so happy with the cooler climate and then, I tripped over. Just a little stumble but boy did it hurt, hobbled to the bus stop to my waiting bus but the bus driver just looked at me, shut the door even though I was waving him down and drove off - not bloody happy!!!!! I waited another hour for a bus as the half hour one didn't show - grrrrr!

Finally I got to the motel, cheap but cheerful and clean, have stayed there many times before to find ........ the reception locked at 1430 in the afternoon. Knocked on the door, as I could see a girl inside playing on the computer, but she just yelled at me - "You'll have to wait" Wtf??? Hot sun, throbbing toe and a heavy bag - double not happy!!! Finally the owner came out and said rudely "What do you want?" Um the key? To the room I booked and paid for? Maybe? She started to be a bit nicer and gave me the key so I shuffled off to my room.

I decided to cheer myself up with a walk to the pristine beach so off I hopped and when I got to my usual spot - a wooden landing with steps leading onto the beach - I found to my horror.......................the beach was gone - literally. The landing was fenced off and the steps finished in mid air. Where there had once been a fantastic beach there is now a sheer drop onto rocks below, uprooted trees litter the beach and the sand is grey not white. All the result of a 'superstorm' they had back in January - devastated!!!

Trailed back to my room to have a shower, found it was mouldy and that night was spent hobbling around with my flip flop smashing cockroaches which kept scuttling across the floor - yuk!!!!

The next day I awoke to a painful swollen foot, so caught a bus to the shops, all lovely walks cancelled due to no flippin beach and injury sustained - sigh! Thought oh I'll go to my favourite clothes shop and buy myself something nice to cheer myself up also the girl that works there is English and we always have a good laugh. So I get there and...................... the shop is gone. Gone, closed, boarded up no sign of my friend - nothing. I sense a pattern forming here!!!!

I get to catch up with a friend for dinner and no disasters so I relax a bit. Check out next day, no one at reception so can't be arsed, leave key in room and hobble to bus stop to get to station to catch train to Brisbane. A man gets on the bus, he stinks to high heaven and is muttering to himself, he looks very dirty. I pray "Please please don't let him sit next to me." There are hundreds of spare seats on the bus, I make no eye contact, I look at my phone. He sits next to me. Damn.

The smell is so bad I'm gagging so I make my excuses and change seats even though I feel a bit mean. He gets off at the station stop, same as me, and drops an ID card so I pick it up and shuffle after him to return it. Tap him on the shoulder and give it back only to have him start to yell at me "Where did you get that??? You STOLE it!!!" Oh God. He's raging now and I'm trying to explain I was just returning it but everyone is looking and my face is a red as a beetroot. I back away from the yelling still trying to explain, a man pushes past me in a rush to get his bus and in the process treads on my foot - the bad one. Tears well up in my eyes - OWWWWW the pain. I limp pathetically to the station to see.............. my train pulling away. FML.

Finally I make it into Brisbane, meet friends for dinner and make it to the airport with no further mishaps. I don't like Brisbane, I find it a soul less place but Mermaid Beach was always my happy place. No longer! Mermaid I am done with you, we are officially OVER!

I am now back in FNQ, off sick for two days with a ?fractured toe, propped up by pillows taking strong pain relief every 4 hours and still just counting the days. UK here I come - all lingering doubts are now officially gone ha ha ha!!!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 13th 2013 at 7:17 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:55 pm

Oh what a bugger ! Sorry your holiday was so crap. Hope your toe gets better soon.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:59 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh what a bugger ! Sorry your holiday was so crap. Hope your toe gets better soon.
Thanks! I'm laughing though - it was like Mr Bean's holiday ha ha ha!!!! Well at least I won't be missing the Gold Coast too much anymore!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Thanks! I'm laughing though - it was like Mr Bean's holiday ha ha ha!!!! Well at least I won't be missing the Gold Coast too much anymore!!!!
Loved the story..
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:51 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Loved the story..
You're welcome ha ha!!!! I did check under the bed for voodoo dolls - just in case!!!!!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Yay, you're back. Sorry the break sounds shite, but I've just read this aloud to all here and we are doubled over laughing. Sorry if that's insensitive, but yay, you're back. Love this thread.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 7:58 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by passthevalium
Yay, you're back. Sorry the break sounds shite, but I've just read this aloud to all here and we are doubled over laughing. Sorry if that's insensitive, but yay, you're back. Love this thread.
I just read your post and burst out laughing! No, not insensitive I am laughing at myself - honestly I felt like I'd been jinxed or something! I kept expecting the clouds to part and a HUGE finger (a la Monty Python!) to come out of the sky followed by a booming voice saying "GO HOME YOU TWAT!" lol!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 8:03 pm
Practical Paramedic

I think I will join South Central Ambulance Service when I go home just so I can have this fab response car - love it!!!

http://youtu.be/0Fh9VIMDiJA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.