Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:28 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think today I've gone 'troppo' - help!

Originally Posted by Almo
You poor thing, just hang in there, it will go quickly, you already said how quickly the last month has gone! I think the last bit is almost the worst, it's in reach but never comes quickly enough!
Thanks! I'm just really tired and feeling a bit sorry for myself today. I totally understand why they use sleep deprivation as a torture device!

I've read quite a few of your posts and they are always so balanced, thoughtful and well written. I really do hope that you find work soon and things improve for you re the living situation too, best of luck!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 4th 2013 at 10:48 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:45 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

The rose tinted glasses scenario is the one thing I keep stressing about - what if I get back home and I hate it?! Lord knows enough people on here have gone through it.

Whenever I start to stress I just remember what my Mum once wrote to me in an e-mail:-.

Wherever you go you have to work, wherever you go you have to put up with other people, wherever you go people will complain about the weather, wherever you go you have to pay the bills. You will have good days, you will have bad days, you will cry, you will laugh, wherever you go you have to take yourself with you so learn to love yourself. Be kind to other people, be kind to yourself, try to do the right thing in life and never forget, no matter what, we love you. Whatever life throws at you we will be here for you, you can always, always come home x

I cut it out and I keep it in my wallet, it makes me feel strong when I need to! As I've mentioned before my parents were ping pong Poms themselves. I'm lucky that I can have a proper 'off my head' rant to them and they just go "Yes, that's exactly how we felt all those years ago!" Lol!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 4th 2013 at 10:52 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Wherever you go you have to work, wherever you go you have to put up with other people, wherever you go people will complain about the weather, wherever you go you have to pay the bills. You will have good days, you will have bad days, you will cry, you will laugh, wherever you go you have to take yourself with you so learn to love yourself. Be kind to other people, be kind to yourself, try to do the right thing in life and never forget, no matter what, we love you. Whatever life throws at you we will be here for you, you can always, always come home x
Thats brilliant!! A very wise woman! We're not looking for lifelong happiness we're looking (are we not?) for that feeling that were in the right place? Life is hard wherever you live, so you might as well be where you want to be!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

Miss Betty, your posts always cheer me up so I'm really sorry to hear you're having a bad day. Someone sent me this just before I moved here, it made me laugh, and I actually did skip.

To maintain a healthy level of insanity

1) At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.

2) On all your cheque stubs write " for marijuana"

3) Skip down the street rather than walk and see how many looks you get.

4) Sing along at the opera.

5) When the money comes out of the the ATM scream " I won I won!"

6) When leaving the zoo, start running towards the car park yelling, " run for your lives! They're loose".

7) Tell your children over dinner " due to the economy we're going to have to let one of you go".

Hope the time passes quickly.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

So, don't let my occasional maudlin posts worry you, please!
I think its fine to be sad...

I was thinking the other day (and I have almost forgotten this) how horribly homesick I was for about the first two years when I got here, in fact if anything about the UK, even a red bus, came on the telly I had to turn it off!

Im sure going back will be tough, but not that tough, I knew not one person here and now I have friends all over, it takes time!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:03 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Pass the Vallium - love your post, it did make me

Yup, I've skipped too ! Whilst singing, 'skip to ma loo my darlin'.

Love the, 'I've won' remark when withdrawing cash from an atm !
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:04 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Thats brilliant!! A very wise woman! We're not looking for lifelong happiness we're looking (are we not?) for that feeling that were in the right place? Life is hard wherever you live, so you might as well be where you want to be!
She is! When I Skype her some days and I'm having a bloody good old rant, she just sits there sipping her tea and says "Oh dear love, got the PLOMS today have we?!" Poor Lil Old Me's ha ha ha!!!! It always makes me laugh even when I feel all wound up and sorry for myself!

I agree, we might as well be where we want to be! I don't hate it here I just don't belong here
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:16 pm
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by passthevalium
Miss Betty, your posts always cheer me up so I'm really sorry to hear you're having a bad day. Someone sent me this just before I moved here, it made me laugh, and I actually did skip.

1) At lunch time, sit in your parked car with sunglasses on and point a hair dryer at passing cars. See if they slow down.

6) When leaving the zoo, start running towards the car park yelling, " run for your lives! They're loose".

7) Tell your children over dinner " due to the economy we're going to have to let one of you go".

Awww thanks! That did make me laugh out loud - think I will sit in my car with a hairdryer, that really cracked me up!!!

I think what is making me cranky atm is work. Generally I am fine, work mostly alone and get back up if I need it. One of the paramedics up here is just horrible and I keep getting him as back up - every single night - argghhhhh!

He's rude, he's feral, just plain nasty really, he always turns up looking grubby and in a foul mood. Last job I did with him he wouldn't drive for me until he'd stood by the side of the road and finished smoking a cigarette - its exhausting keep fighting with him. He's on a final warning but a fat lot of good it does, he knows the system and they can't get rid of him

Last night I got called out and the Comms operator said "Oh I'm so sorry but its **** backing you up!" He's awful to the comms staff and they loathe him too. I said to her "Oh ok love ta, its not your fault but quite frankly I'd rather work with a trained monkey. It would be cuter and it would definitely smell better!" Her manager sent me a text en route to the job saying - 'Please don't say anything like that again, we are laughing so much we can hardly answer the phones! Good luck!'

Laughter is the best medicine!!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 4th 2013 at 11:18 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. I am going home smiling this afternoon. However, if you hear of a man with an English accent who ran outside San Diego zoo shouting "run ...their loose." it was not me I promise. Sadly I know the consequences I am sure there was once a time when this would have been correct. Today I would most likely be tazered at best and going home home in wooden box to the UK at worst knowing what the local plod are like here
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

passthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud ofpassthevalium has much to be proud of

I know exactly the type of person you are describing, they're bloody loathsome to work with. Chip on the shoulder the size of the grand canyon. I had the misfortune to work with someone like this so I decided to get someone to ring my phone and had a one sided conversation with my pretend twin brother, I don't even have a brother let alone a twin brother.
"Hi John, how's things? You did WHAT? You tied someone to the back of your car and then drove around the streets, Well of course he's dead.
What did he do to you? Oh he said I was ugly, Oh John you can't keep doing this to people who are horrible to me. I know, I know, I love you too.
When do you go on special ops again with the SAS, Oh tomorrow, and then you'll come and stay for 3 weeks, oh great looking forward to seeing you then, it will be great for you to meet all my work colleagues. yes most of them are, but there is one............. , anyway, see you next week.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:46 pm
Practical Paramedic

I know exactly the type of person you are describing, they're bloody loathsome to work with. Chip on the shoulder the size of the grand canyon. I had the misfortune to work with someone like this so I decided to get someone to ring my phone and had a one sided conversation with my pretend twin brother, I don't even have a brother let alone a twin brother.
"Hi John, how's things? You did WHAT? You tied someone to the back of your car and then drove around the streets, Well of course he's dead.
What did he do to you? Oh he said I was ugly, Oh John you can't keep doing this to people who are horrible to me. I know, I know, I love you too.
When do you go on special ops again with the SAS, Oh tomorrow, and then you'll come and stay for 3 weeks, oh great looking forward to seeing you then, it will be great for you to meet all my work colleagues. yes most of them are, but there is one............. , anyway, see you next week.

Ha ha ha! Brilliant! I was sitting there last night finishing my paperwork at the hospital and he says to me, all snidey, "Oh you know you are just so depressed aren't you? You should get help love, its really affecting your work!" GOBSMACKED!!!!

Never one who is backwards in coming forward I just yelled at him. "FFS! Its YOU! I hate working with YOU, you are such a bloody troll and you drag everyone down to your level! Why why why am I always stuck with YOU? Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!"

He did look a bit shocked, got up and walked out - to have another fag I suppose! One of the doctors came out and he was chuckling, he said to me "God he's awful isn't he? Loved your little rant!" Then he waved a script pad under my nose and said "Whatever you want I'll write it up for you!" Ha ha ha!

I thanked him but no, I think I just need a glass of wine and some sleep - roll on Friday but just in case - can I have 'John's' number please?!!

Last edited by MissBetty; Mar 5th 2013 at 12:02 am.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:17 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant !

Sorry about the loathsome creep you keep getting landed with as 'back up'. I realise you've already said your piece but you could have looked him in the eye and asked him, 'did my boss say it was affecting my work because you can take your concerns to my boss if you wish.' I think your response was better and to the point.

Regarding the 'twin brother' phone call here's an idea:

Tell people you live with a boxer. No one needs to know it's a dog ! (Unless you don't have that breed of dog in Aus, in which case, it's meaningless.)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Mar 5th 2013 at 12:25 am.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
May I borrow your mum?

Last edited by Perth; Mar 5th 2013 at 12:38 am.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:45 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
May I borrow your mom?
You may lol! We torment each other mercilessly! Last time I was home I was teasing her, telling her what a cruel and evil woman she was for making me do lots of chores when I was younger. She worked full time so, of course, perfectly reasonable, but at the time lil old brat me used to whine about it incessantly ha ha!

She just laughed at me and said "Oh hush, I have given you one of the best gifts a mother can give her daughter!" I said "I honestly dont remember getting a pair of diamond earrings from Tiffanys?!!!" She turned me round, poked me in the spine and said "Oh my, look at that, I gave you a backbone!!!

She wins, again. As per usual ha ha ha!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.