British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   + Hurricane Ophelia + (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/hurricane-ophelia-904668/)

BEVS Oct 16th 2017 9:05 pm

+ Hurricane Ophelia +

Hi everyone up there in the UK & Ireland.

Hurricane Ophelia has made the news here at the bottom of the world ( New Zealand) & looks like it is a right tough old storm. Family and friends have been sharing pics of red skies & storm ridden promenades.

Keep safe everyone & I hope there is not too much disruption and damage.

scot47 Oct 17th 2017 8:23 am

Re: + Hurricane Ophelia +

We had dire warnings of how it was going to bring chaos and devastation to the West of Scotland. Nothing happened.

Pollyana Oct 17th 2017 10:56 am

As ever those of us in disaster management are getting slammed. If we put out warnings based on predicted tracks, and the cyclone/hurricane moves, we get blamed for scaremongering. But if we don't warn people and a Ctaegory Three hits unannounced, we also get slammed. Can't win in our business.

Commiserations to the families of the people who died.

michali Oct 17th 2017 12:03 pm

Having lived in the Caribbean for years, I am used to hurricane preparation and the chance it will change direction. But it is much better to be prepared and nothing happens than not be prepared and devastation hits!

Pollyana Oct 17th 2017 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by michali (Post 12362881)
Having lived in the Caribbean for years, I am used to hurricane preparation and the chance it will change direction. But it is much better to be prepared and nothing happens than not be prepared and devastation hits!

:thumbup:

Pulaski Oct 17th 2017 1:20 pm

Most of the news coverage seemed to centre on discussions about the sun being a funny colour.

Editha Oct 19th 2017 10:01 am

It was strange. Here in the west country we had a high wind in the afternoon, but it was also extraordinarily warm, and there was that red sun. I ate lunch outside at a cafe before the wind got up. Now our south facing windows are covered with the Saharan dust.

BEVS Oct 25th 2017 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 12364465)
It was strange. Here in the west country we had a high wind in the afternoon, but it was also extraordinarily warm, and there was that red sun. I ate lunch outside at a cafe before the wind got up. Now our south facing windows are covered with the Saharan dust.

Yes. One of MrBEVS cousins in Wolverhampton posted up a photo of a rather red sun and red dust settling .