How has it changed for you?

Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:48 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default How has it changed for you?

Hi everyone. Well I would say that most of us posting on here are making plans or thinking about returning to our homeland.

I really don't like the phrase "living the dream" but I'll have to use it on this post, as most of us emigrated to live out our dream. I'm asking 2 questions:

1. What was your idea of "living the dream" before emigrating?

2. What is your idea of living the dream now?

My answers:

1. To have my own home, good counselling job, me and my family to feel
Settled and happy.

2. To be surrounded by my whole family, rushing around the kitchen making tea
And laughing with my sister.

Funny how things change.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How has it changed for you?

Didn't really move away to live the dream (I loathe that phrase!) we moved because it was the best opportunity at the time!

I guess my priorities are family and health with a bit of a financial buffer so I have freedom of choice. However, now living back in UK after a life sentence in Aus (next time I may commit murder, you get less time in jail LOL) and I am appreciating so much more than I ever thought I would - weather, countryside, history, all the usual suspects as well as being there for family. A far better lifestyle in fact!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this link on another thread but think you will find the link on community interesting.

http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/

(Being a rather sad person, I found it ALL interesting)
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

My answers:

1. I moved to California in the late eighties to be with a woman I met from there. She was attractive and fascinating and unlike anyone else I had met in the UK. But I truly think I fell in love with California itself. All those TV shows that were fed to us in the UK from America just clicked into place. I think the 'dream' was the place I experienced... before I woke up.

My 'now' answer is surprisingly similar to yours, pippalonghorn.

2. To be surrounded by my whole family in England, sitting around the kitchen making and drinking tea and laughing with my sister who I am dying to get to know again after 25 years.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what dream I was chasing when I moved to the US 17 years ago but now my dream is to be with my family and not miss out on all those irreplaceable times with them.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute

Then: We came for an adventure, to see what it was like, to see the amazing scenery, to have a house with some land for a few animals, for a better childhood for my children. (we fell for the hype basically!)

Now: To be truly settled, to own a small house with lots of character, to become part of our wider families lives again, to appreciate Britain's countryside, to be able to visit Europe occasionally, to see a few live bands.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

To start a new married life in a neutral country we could make our own and have an adventure.Yes we had a Canadian dream which was just that "a dream"! Not much difference here to other countries.

We now find that our priorities have changed.
Want to be closer to family and friends, Quality of life back in UK (we did not know how much we would miss it) ie sense of humour and BBC tv and our heritage
As retirees we feel we have more opportunities in UK than here in Canada
Old Nov 7th 2013, 3:49 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I think that quality of life and family are going to be mentioned a lot.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

We came for the sunshine, better work life balance, a pool and outdoor lifestyle plus the experience for the children and family.

In reality in Darwin (and also in brissie to a slightly lesser extent)

It's too hot to go outside, too many bites/flies to do anything so we stay in
The sea is full of stingers crocs sharks and the beach can be a bit boring after a while
Husband doing 65 hour weeks
I often have to force kids into the pool... Though I am partial to sitting in with a glass of chilled white!

But hey after 3 years it has been a great experience but I yearn green hills, log fires, m&s food, to walk my dog in a national park and family

We will return to the UK in 2014/2015 ....
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:22 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I do find it amusing when I see people talking about the better work life balance, it is well known that on average Australians work longer hours but the perception is that somehow you will have more time with the family. The word to remember here is PERCEPTION, lots of potential migrants prefer to imagine they will have more time at home as it is hardly a selling point if they are actually going to have less time at home. Often the reality doesnt live up to the dream.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

My husband probably prefers the time he has off ... Though maybe that's cos we rent and don't have the jobs required of home ownership!
I think reality down under shows show people clocking off at 3 pm and heading down the beach....maybe we expected a bit of that. As a teacher my workload is far less than the UK....

But still want to go back :-)
Old Nov 7th 2013, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Hi everyone. Well I would say that most of us posting on here are making plans or thinking about returning to our homeland.

I really don't like the phrase "living the dream" but I'll have to use it on this post, as most of us emigrated to live out our dream. I'm asking 2 questions:

1. What was your idea of "living the dream" before emigrating?

2. What is your idea of living the dream now?

My answers:

1. To have my own home, good counselling job, me and my family to feel
Settled and happy.

2. To be surrounded by my whole family, rushing around the kitchen making tea
And laughing with my sister.

Funny how things change.
We just thought "why not give it a go" one day, we had never been to Aus, did not know a sole there, did not have jobs,home etc lined up and did not have any preconceptions of how Aus was/would be, after 12 years of living a decent life in Aus we still headed home to the UK. I think the feeling of belonging is one of the main reasons we headed home and everything else, family,culture,history,Europe a short hop away is a bonus.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

We just thought one day "lets go for it" we applied for Aus (after picking it out of a hat) and within a matter of months we were off, we had never been, did not know a sole there, had no jobs, no home and no preconceptions of how life would be. Fast forward 12.5 years later and after having not a "bad" life in Aus we returned home, the main thing for us we feel like we belong in the UK and never had that feeling in Aus, we love our History, Culture, being close to Europe and family and friends is another bonus.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 12:06 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Brisbane around 12 years and it always felt temporary for us even though I grew up in Australia. I think all it shows is that nowhere is for everyone.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Fromthenorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Having done two years in France to try new culture and give the kids a look at what life is like outside the uk I still feel like I don't fit in here. Great beaches and overall really nice people but now I'm longing for a life back in the uk. Sometimes you have to go away for a while to know where you belong. The kids have done great here both fluent in French and are still young enough to return to uk, am determined to move back however complicated it may be to my real home within the next two years and can't wait. Missing good pubs, real selection of cuisine from all over the world, convenience, family, friends, opportunity, countryside and the general warmth of the uk people. Good luck to all who are hoping to return to uk from their adventures abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.