Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:11 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you reach a decision to return to the UK??

If you wanted a more structured way of deciding, try this:

1. Brainstorm (whole family or self and partner) everything that is important to you in life, e.g.: career opportunities, pay, tax, family, old friends, basic cost of living (food, petrol, bills etc), cost of houses, weather/climate, access to other countries and cultures, places to visit within a x hours car drive, places to go on holiday within x hours flying, culture, arts, restaurants, cafes, heritage, sport, things to do for kids, education system, politics, television, music scene, pubs, landscape, annual leave entitlements, health system, etc. The rules for brainstorming are that no criticism or filtering is allowed during the actuall brainstorming. anything goes.

2. Once you have a pretty full list, go through and combine any things that should really be grouped as one (e.g. restaurants and cafes).

3. Give each a rating of 1 (Very poor), 2 (Poor), 3 (OK), 4 (Good), or 5 (Very good) for both where you live now or where you might possibly otherwise live in Australia ('here') (e.g. Sydney) and where you would perhaps live in the UK ('there') (e.g. Bournemouth).

4. Give each criteria a weighting to indicate how important it is, from 1 (fairly important), 2 (important), 3 (very important).

5. Multiply the ratings from step 3 with the weightings from step 4.

6. Add up the figures for here and there separately.

7. See what you find.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jan 27th 2006 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I think that from now on, any decision is based on compromise. What you really want is the best of both countries in one place and of course that's impossible, so the only way you reach a decision is to prioritise and compromise.

My friends gave me a spreadsheet which essentially does what Shoz has advised - you input lifestyle criteria, importance, & availaibility for each country and end up with the all-telling result! My friends have used this to decide where to spend their future (they are an Anglo-Aussie couple, and are moving back to UK (again) this year).

As for us, we haven't done the maths yet but I have a feeling that my results and Mr HP's results will have us living on opposite sides of the globe .
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz

1. Brainstorm (whole family or self and partner) everything that is important to you in life, e.g.: career opportunities, pay, tax, family, old friends, basic cost of living (food, petrol, bills etc), cost of houses, weather/climate, access to other countries and cultures, places to visit within a x hours car drive, places to go on holiday within x hours flying, culture, arts, restaurants, cafes, heritage, sport, things to do for kids, education system, politics, television, music scene, pubs, landscape, annual leave entitlements, health system, etc. The rules for brainstorming are that no criticism or filtering is allowed during the actuall brainstorming. anything goes.

2. Once you have a pretty full list, go through and combine any things that should really be grouped as one (e.g. restaurants and cafes).

3. Give each a rating of 1 (Very poor), 2 (Poor), 3 (OK), 4 (Good), or 5 (Very good) for both where you live now or where you might possibly otherwise live in Australia ('here') (e.g. Sydney) and where you would perhaps live in the UK ('there') (e.g. Bournemouth).

4. Give each criteria a weighting to indicate how important it is, from 1 (fairly important), 2 (important), 3 (very important).

7. See what you find.
Ohh, great, you've just given me an excuse to waste yet another Saturday afternoon!

(Good idea though, as long as you take the results with a pinch of salt!).

[Tried to give you some Special K, but apparently I have to spread it around]

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 28th 2006 at 1:48 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
[Tried to give you some Special K, but apparently I have to spread it around]
Yep, send it this way if you need
Old Jan 28th 2006, 9:51 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

7. See what you find.
What may be even more interesting as a result of doing this is that it would highlight any disagreements on ratings and weightings within the couple/family. If there were lots of disagreements, Steps 3-6 should probably be done separately. (This is just based on a business process facilitation tool.)

Some other criteria are crime levels, friendliness, social climate, government benefits, racial tolerance, sexual orientatgion tolerance, religious tolerance, access to own religious community, cost of higher education, quality of higher education...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

It's not been a difficult decision for us.
We both love Britain and miss it dearly.
In my opinion (before anyone starts slagging me off!) Canada is very boring. There just isn't anything to do here, unless you have money and can afford to go skiing every weekend and whatnot. Add to that, a serious difficulty in finding work that isn't in a shop or call centre. You get the idea.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Country... Canada (ON/NS) UK (Yorks/Lancs)
Family/Friends 3 4
Employment 1 5
Cost of Living 3 4
Cost of accom 5 2
Weather 3 3
Crime 5 1
Travel Oportunities 1 5
TV/Radio/Media 2 5
Friendliness 4 2
Things to do 2 5
Pubs 2 4
Annual Leave 1 4
Clean Environment 5 2
Landscape 3 4
History/Culture 2 5

In essence, Canada is safer, friendlier, clean and has cheap accomodation.
However it's also boring, has crap employment, rubbish TV and you don't get enough holidays.

7. See what you find.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

digsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant future

Yes I would definitely follow the advice that a longish vist back to the UK would be sensible. I have been back in the Uk for nearly 3 months after one year in Aus and want to go back to Aus again. Your mind plays tricks with you when away from the UK and you remeber all the things with rose tinted specs! There are many great things about the UK but over all I am missing the atmosphere of living in Northern Beaches, Sydney. I know beaches aren't everything but there is a fresh feel to living in an area like that and also the sense of space and light. While obviously friends are the most important thing, it is difficult to adjust to the UK after having experienced that kind of quality of life.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by digsee
Yes I would definitely follow the advice that a longish vist back to the UK would be sensible. I have been back in the Uk for nearly 3 months after one year in Aus and want to go back to Aus again. Your mind plays tricks with you when away from the UK and you remeber all the things with rose tinted specs! There are many great things about the UK but over all I am missing the atmosphere of living in Northern Beaches, Sydney. I know beaches aren't everything but there is a fresh feel to living in an area like that and also the sense of space and light. While obviously friends are the most important thing, it is difficult to adjust to the UK after having experienced that kind of quality of life.
That is so what I didn't want to hear. Nothing frightens me more than to finally get home to the U.K. and after 3 months feel as you do.

I am trying to be very honest with myself about the different lifestyle in the U.K., for me I much prefer the beautiful home in Aus but then I feel lost without my friends and family around me.

Before we initially left the U.K we lived in a rather nice three bedroomed semi but it was the nicest house on a busy street and it was a really mixed area socially and of course I hated it. We have worked out that we can afford a nicer house in a nicer area in the U.K now, it's not nearly as nice as the one in Aus but then it's where I think we will feel at home so in that we have already made progress.

I know I am going to miss my house in Aus, I just hope I don't live to regret it. We have citizenship now so I suppose we could come back but I think the upheaval gets harder as you get older.

I am really hoping that coming to Aus will make us appreciate what we left behind in the U.K. and that will help us to settle back in the U.K. but on the other hand perhaps I am being nieve because we know what we can achieve in Aus in terms of lifestyle and this is what might leave us feeling like we're settling for second best. Aargh me is still confuscious!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:31 pm
Just Joined

digsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant futuredigsee has a brilliant future

Sorry didn't meant to give too bad a spin on things. I think if you are coming back to a better area it may change your perspective. We came back to our old house in a dodgy area of London since we didn't end up selling and only rented the place out. We do have the option of moving to a better area of the UK and if I had done that straight away maybe I would feel different. The other thing is that I came back from spring in Aus to a reasonably grey and cold winter here so it is probably not the best frame of mind in which to make a final decision!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:30 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PADDAD
That is so what I didn't want to hear. Nothing frightens me more than to finally get home to the U.K. and after 3 months feel as you do.

I am trying to be very honest with myself about the different lifestyle in the U.K., for me I much prefer the beautiful home in Aus but then I feel lost without my friends and family around me.

Before we initially left the U.K we lived in a rather nice three bedroomed semi but it was the nicest house on a busy street and it was a really mixed area socially and of course I hated it. We have worked out that we can afford a nicer house in a nicer area in the U.K now, it's not nearly as nice as the one in Aus but then it's where I think we will feel at home so in that we have already made progress.

I know I am going to miss my house in Aus, I just hope I don't live to regret it. We have citizenship now so I suppose we could come back but I think the upheaval gets harder as you get older.

I am really hoping that coming to Aus will make us appreciate what we left behind in the U.K. and that will help us to settle back in the U.K. but on the other hand perhaps I am being nieve because we know what we can achieve in Aus in terms of lifestyle and this is what might leave us feeling like we're settling for second best. Aargh me is still confuscious!
It wasn't what you wanted to hear.....but that is "disgees" experience....and it doesn't mean that that is what will necessarily happen to you......... there is no easy way to find out unfortunately.

We're all so different, some people go back and never give Aus a second thought (I'm hoping this is the category I fall into....having a good experience, but......it isn't home is it?), and yes there are people who go back to Uk, then come back to Aus, then there are those who come here and stay forever..... :scared:

I think it depends on where you came from and what you had. We too had a comfy existence, a lovely home, a holiday home, lived in a lovely safe area, good school, good income, family and friends, etc etc...... so what we have got here is NOT an improvement, some things are the same, and some things are worse (salary for starters, and cost of living in relation to salary - we didn't come here expecting to be worse off!!).

I have just been home for 5 weeks, and I was pleasantly surprised. Loved every minute of it, and we all slotted back in where we left off. As someone else said, we both love England, it's home, and being away has made me appreciate it so much more. Of course it isn't perfect, nowhere is. But the good bits make the yuckier bits worth putting up with. And of course the big bonus is, that you have all your important people around you. It's different, you just have to concentrate on the different things there are to do there, and do them, like, trips to Europe etc....

Will you really miss your house? It's just a house afterall? And you said you be able to get a better one in the UK than what you had before? Why don't you leave your house here and go back for a bit? Would that work?

Nothing is forever anyway...........
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

lucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant futurelucky has a brilliant future

We have in Brisbane for over 2 and half years and yesterday received our Australian citizenship.

However we have been in a state of confusion for sometime now as to whether we should return to the U.K.

I have read many of the posts re: reasons for returning to the UK and I have to agree with all of the reasons given i.e. missing friends and family and a sense of belonging. So why is it then that we are finding it so impossible to reach a decision about going back home?

I have to be honest and say that both my husband and I love where we live -the sense of privacy, space, tropical birds, peace and tranquility is truly paradise.

We have met a number of people and have got involved in some organisations but we haven't 'really' gelled with anyone - I know this takes time but from what I gather from reading this forum it isn't unusual to feel this way even after 5 years of living here.

The question is, will we ever settle or are we striving in the hope that we will when in reality we probably won't? What are the real statistics for poms settling in other countries not their own?

I am becoming increasingly exasperated by it all and time is ticking - as someone on this forum said ' life isn't a rehearsal' and we can't keep living as if in a state of limbo.

Any advice would be graciously received.

It is really for you to decide - but for what its worth - we are planning to go back once we get our citizenship - we just had the dreaded phonecall - very close friend diagnosed as having less than a year to live - it made me realise that what is important is people - not structures like houses or beaches or weather. My thoughts about what is important is that if I had a year to live - I would surround myself with people I cared about and who cared about me. My issue is that whilst it is nice - we get the feeling of not fitting in - makes you wonder - do you hang on trying to fit in and hoping that you one day do fit in or go back to where you have roots and are comfortable
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:46 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

We have in Brisbane for over 2 and half years and yesterday received our Australian citizenship.
I've been away since 1994, if you are anything like me you'll always feel this confused...not all of the time cos you'll just get on with life but you'll always suffer bursts of wanting to go home...the stuff that's stopping you from feeling 100% settled now will still be there 5, 10 years from now...you'll just learn to live with it...this isn't to say you will be miserable..that's why it's so confusing..you want the best of both worlds and so do I...I'm finally going for my U.S citizenship..ironically so I know I can leave (and then return if it was not the right choice after all)

If I was you, feeling this way, with the financial ability to return..and Aussie citizenship in my back pocket..I'd be on the first plane home..but that's just me....good luck and let us know what you finally decide
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

LoobyLoo has a brilliant futureLoobyLoo has a brilliant futureLoobyLoo has a brilliant futureLoobyLoo has a brilliant futureLoobyLoo has a brilliant futureLoobyLoo has a brilliant future

Its good to know I am not the only one feeling confused!!! I have been in Oz for 6 years but having recently split up with my Aussie partner of 7 years I am contemplating going back to the UK!!!

I am really torn as I feel like I have worked so hard over the last 6 years to build up my life here and I now have great friends and a fantastic lifestyle - BUT - and isn't there always a but - I am not sure this is where I want to grow old!!!

The worst thing is I now feel like I have a foot in two camps. I really miss my family and being part of their lives but a lot of my friends in the UK have moved on with their lives and moved to different parts of the country so realistically if I went back I would have to start again developing friendships and building up a life. Where as here I have a good social life and a nice house and lifestyle but no family!! I am lucky in that I have got my citizenship so have the luxury of being able to leave and come back if I decide it is the wrong decision but that is far from ideal!!

I just can't decide what the right thing for me is - the thought of going back to cold grey winter days scares the life out of me but being near my family would be fantastic!!!

Ahh I don't know how anyone makes this decision - its just too damn hard and just when I think I've decided something happens and i change my mind again!!
Old Jan 31st 2006, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

SCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really niceSCOTTISH MARK 2 is just really nice

[QUOTE=kendodd]It wasn't what you wanted to hear.....but that is "disgees" experience....and it doesn't mean that that is what will necessarily happen to you......... there is no easy way to find out unfortunately.

I have just been home for 5 weeks, and I was pleasantly surprised. Loved every minute of it, and we all slotted back in where we left off.

I too felt exactly the same after 6 weeks at home..and all during
the dreaded freezing cold winter weather too

I'm planning to go home in a few months and whilst I have moments
of still thinking "Wow, this is such a beautiful place, how can I leave",
it's starting to seem more and more superficial after time spent with close friends and family.

After walking around at home with a permanent smile on my face
it seems the decision's made...even if I havent plucked up courage
to book the flights yet , the thought of being here for another year is just too much to bear...maybe that's when you know

It seems the old saying is very true "horses for courses" and, you
never know what will happen, I might be back but you gotta do what feels right at the time.

Now back to dreaming about all those trips around Europe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.