Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:17 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Honest Advice from those returning from Canada

Originally Posted by sans
One day whilst i was still in Nanaimo...... i had just parked up in the save on foods car park. And this old boy noticed i had a for sale sign in the back window of my mini, so he came over and was asking how much i wanted etc

It turns out he was 79 yrs old and came from York, he was drilling me for ages on how "old blighty" was
He then said he'd been in Canada since 1969 and every day since, he has wanted to go home
He also said he didn't think he'd be able to afford to buy a place to live in the Uk, but thought that the Uk would look after him and his wife in there old age better then Canada was

I have heard similar stories from other people, that have constantly given it another year untill they have resigned themselves into never being able to return home.............

Or long to go.......... but simply can not afford it.

People often dont like to admit how they feel, expecially to others that are as happy as larry...........It would never do, to be known as a pommy whinger
I met someone who has been here for 30 years, when she heard my accent, she started reminiscing, and then became tearful. She said she was always homesick and had never felt at home here. It was very sad, poor woman,
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:23 am
Just Joined

pedrochilli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chutley
Hi

I think I would like a reality check from folks who have removed their rose-tinted specs and are on their way home. Not an invite to life's whingers, but I would REALLY APPRECIATE some honest talking about life over in Canada.

My partner and I both have good jobs - RAF Officer and Environmental Health Officer - with a combined income of £90k. We own our own home outright in Newark Nottinghamshire and have enough money left over each month to be comfortable, but not well-off.

I did some work at Battus Ranges in Canada and started looking at Canada seriously in 2003. Had two 3-week holidays over there in Alberta and BC, and we have another 4-week house exchange to kanmloops in June 2009. But I apreciate that a holiday is just that and doesn't really give you the warts and all.

We were hoping for a 'less-busy' lifestyle. Our own home, without mortgage, with some room around us. Access to the mountains, skiing and outdoor sports. And I can't deny that back in 2004 our house would exchange for a much bigger property in Calgary or BC. With grandious ideas, and hours of drooling on mls.ca, we applied in Oct 2006.

Now the big BUT. More research on this excellent site has highlighted how much things have gone up over there. Our own UK house is worth less, the exchange rate is getting worse so we would not really be gaining anything in terms of size or room in Canada. Car insurance, food and utilitires are also more expensive than we understood. And the real fear - the job. I have re-trained as an electrician to give me a portable skill, but more research has showed me that I needn't have bothered as the Canadian system does not recognise our qualifications!

So all in all, we are both beginning to question whether it is really worth all the hassle and trauma of starting a new life in Canada. We probably still have another 2 or 3 years to wait for a visa anyway, and in that time we are getting older, but feel that we are in Limbo.

If anybody has bothered to read this long post, I appreciate you sticking with it!!

What do you think? Did you leave behind a good life in he UK with Rose-tinted spectacles and big expectations? Is it really that hard to break into Canadian employment? And if space and an easier life (financially too) are our driving force, are we just another couple of dreamers who will end up returning to the UK!!

Appreciate any helpful advice, through a PM if you wish, but could do without the Daily Mail rants that some folks appear to enjoy.

Many thanks for your time.
Its tough, but hey no mortgage no problem?!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

pedrochilli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
Very funny...

dbd33. Just noticed you joined this board in March 2005, which is approximately 2.5 years ago (or 30 months). That equates to 912.5days, which if you sleep for 8 hours a day is 14,600 waking hours. Then I noticed you are credited with 13,299 posts, that works out to nearly one post per hour for every waking hour you've had for the last 2 and a half years!!!!

Do you have a life or is whining and complaining about Canada on this board and generally how badly life has treated you the only thing you do? I can't imagine you actually have time for any real friends or a job, you must be on your computer all the time...How sad...
ouch!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:01 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
?
get on the page......check profile TUTT!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:14 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Canada sucks big time. beer weak and no bloody curry house in this backwards place. people saying have a bloody nice day all the time. pubs suck big time and nitelife non exsitent. oh what Id give for a few points with me m8s and a good curry in rushome. had a few people over for drink the other night, all went home at about 11!!! couldn't believe it, I was just getting started, thought we were gonna make a night of it. they even told me the neighbors might complain about the music and the cops would come if they didnt go, how lame is that for an excuse. no life here.

I'm going back to manchester the greatest city in the world as soon as I can. made a big mistake coming here. went to the bloody mountains few weeks ago and got told I couldn't drink a beer in the park by some idiot warden, how backwards is that then? Also went rafting through the city and got a bloody ticket from a shithead cop on a bike no less, for having an open bottle of beer in the raft, took all my othet unopend beer to. appaerntly the cops can do that here and you cant complain. i think my human rights were violated, but nobody gives a shite. these people need to get a life instaed of stoping others having fun. that would never happen in the uk people more tolrant there. i cant wait to get out of this place and back to civilization. my advice dont come to this place if you want a life.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dukie
Canada sucks big time. beer weak and no bloody curry house in this backwards place. people saying have a bloody nice day all the time. pubs suck big time and nitelife non exsitent. oh what Id give for a few points with me m8s and a good curry in rushome. had a few people over for drink the other night, all went home at about 11!!! couldn't believe it, I was just getting started, thought we were gonna make a night of it. they even told me the neighbors might complain about the music and the cops would come if they didnt go, how lame is that for an excuse. no life here.

I'm going back to manchester the greatest city in the world as soon as I can. made a big mistake coming here. went to the bloody mountains few weeks ago and got told I couldn't drink a beer in the park by some idiot warden, how backwards is that then? Also went rafting through the city and got a bloody ticket from a shithead cop on a bike no less, for having an open bottle of beer in the raft, took all my othet unopend beer to. appaerntly the cops can do that here and you cant complain. i think my human rights were violated, but nobody gives a shite. these people need to get a life instaed of stoping others having fun. that would never happen in the uk people more tolrant there. i cant wait to get out of this place and back to civilization. my advice dont come to this place if you want a life.
Holy crap Dukie so I guess you'll not be recommending Canada to your friends then what part of Canada are you in? Good luck with getting back home at least now you know where your happy place is.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

got told I couldn't drink a beer in the park by some idiot warden, how backwards is that then? Also went rafting through the city and got a bloody ticket from a shithead cop on a bike no less, for having an open bottle of beer in the raft, took all my othet unopend beer to. appaerntly the cops can do that here and you cant complain. i think my human rights were violated, but nobody gives a shite. these people need to get a life instaed of stoping others having fun. that would never happen in the uk people more tolrant there.
I understand your frustrations. However, you have by now gathered - probably belatedly, that you can't have "open liquor" in a public place here.

On the upside (though you might not agree) - there just are not the amount of problems with public drinking and problems related to it on show here. No major problems with kicking out time, no major problems with fights and throwing up, and hitting people, and smashing stuff. That's what a lot of us wanted when we came here

I'm not saying it doesn't go on - 'cos it certainly does - but no-where near the scale as the UK, and not all over - just more in concentrated areas. People drink - and I find their capacity to do so quite impressive - but they mostly do it in private at home or in friend's homes.

Drink driving is still an issue here - and I think all ages are as much into their cannabis as they are their beers.

However, I like going to public functions, parades, Canada Day concerts, Xmas street parties where I feel it's safe for me and the kids to wander around in peace. By 8pm in the UK it would be an alcoholic free-for-all. I'm all for people enjoying themselves, but not at the expense of safety for those around them, at the expense of local shop windows, at the expense of pumping their stomachs and stitching their wounds. Boring? Maybe!

Canada will catch up with the UK on the booze-fuelled culture in due course. I'm happy it's behind the times at the mo
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chi_Nook
What's the number of my posts go to do with anything? Does having more posts make you more believable, right or honest?

For your information, I've been in this country for over 25 years, have been a Canadian citizen for the last 22 years and have two Canadian children. I've also travelled this country from the east coast (Newfoundland) to the west coast (Victoria) and the Yukon (Whitehorse) and many parts in between. I've lived, worked and owned property in Alberta, Ontario and BC (both the interior and the coast), so I think I know a little about life in Canada by now.
i have used these forums for over 8 years (in various names). I always leave for a while and eventually come back. lol unfortunately I always seem to forget my last log on (old age demencia ...36 yrs!) friedemu, sharma(something or other) now this one.

We all come from different walks of life and have been around the block a few times. look at my sig! I first came to canada in 1976. I too have lived in various provinces and all that lot. I have 1 canadian sister and one british sister, I have 2 canadian kids and one british kid. So what ??? I just shows i have been there done that.

In all honesty Chinook ..You are a Canadian now ....YOU have been assimalated so to speak. I hate to say this but you have proberly lost all that is a britishism in you. For you that could be a good thing! But for others their heart is in a different place, maybe a different country. Yes England is no longer "Last of the Summer Wine" or "Keeping Up Appearences", but to some it is home.

Canada has taken a down turn with every decade. I was gonna link the "news articles" over the last few weeks, our government is no better or no worse.

Here we are sufferening thru a tainted meat scare where they have not even fully found all the tainted meat. The bateria once in a human can have up to a 90 day incubation rate.
They are now recalling cheese form a PQ factory - they have a salmonella out break.
These are linked to poor governmental standards and check points.

Liquor is just as a big problem here in Canuck land. We just have more space to spread it around. Bush parties and the likes are still going strong!! I went to my first one at 14 in alberta. Mst farms had a Secret Still in the back 40.

Kids sneak booze in to high schools have been doing since the 80's... like i said we have more space to hide it.

As for the GTA

"Things I don't like about the GTA, some of which will apply to other Canadian locations:

- physically ugly
- polluted
- chronic traffic problems
- unwatchable TV, unlistenable radio, cancon rules
- ever expanding urban sprawl; tract housing developments with chain restaurants and stores
- very little vacation and it's considered a career limiting move to use the days the law does allow"

I have to say ...Nail got hit on the head here!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:17 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a drinking problem ?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:39 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read all 5 pages of this, but this is my honest opinion and as I live in Kamloops, it may come in helpful.

For us, moving to Canada was perfect timing. UK house prices were at an all time high, and the exchange rate was still fairly good. £1 = $2.15 when we sold.
My 11yr old Son was moving Schools anyway so the disruption was there even if we had of stayed in the UK.
All in all we were lucky, nothing else, just pure & simple luck.

We landed in Kamloops with only our suitcases, no jobs, no house, no Schools booked for the kids, no friends or family, no nothing. We stalled the shipping company as they were hounding us for an address for our container that was 4 weeks away.

Cut a very long story short, we moved into our house within 4 weeks of landing and I started work the week after.

We love it here and have absolutely no intentions of ever living in the UK again.

Things here are definitely behind the times, (internet banking, chip & pin etc) banks charging for credit cards, chequing accounts, etc but that's the way it is so it's tough.

I am earning half the wage I was in the UK but thanks to the over inflated UK housing market, I now own my house and our two cars. Something that would have taken me years to do in the UK.

Generally life in Kamloops is very relaxed, people are friendly and work is non stressful. My commute is 12 minutes and I am at home most afternoons at 4.15pm which leaves lots of family time.

My 12yr old boy & 5yr old girl are now young Canadians and are doing very well. They love it here, loads of outdoor activities in the summer and just as many in the winter.
My only concern for them is their career prospects when they leave Uni as Kamloops doesn't have that many white collar jobs.

Our intention all a long was to move to a quiet city in BC. We would never have moved to Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal as for us, there would have been no point. Same traffic, same crime problems, same extortionate house prices etc etc. We may as well have stayed in England earning a decent wage and be close to Europe.

Anyway, that's enough of my ramblings. No regrets here.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fined for:

- wine with picnic
- participating in pick up football game, no permit, not part of sanctioned league
- allowing children to paddle in lake, no permit

Canadians love to legislate and prosecute, it's the national pastime. I say let them enjoy it, the fines aren't enormous and it keeps the unhyphenated in work.

I can get curry though. No end of curry houses here.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:51 pm
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ann m
I understand your frustrations. However, you have by now gathered - probably belatedly, that you can't have "open liquor" in a public place here.

On the upside (though you might not agree) - there just are not the amount of problems with public drinking and problems related to it on show here. No major problems with kicking out time, no major problems with fights and throwing up, and hitting people, and smashing stuff. That's what a lot of us wanted when we came here

I'm not saying it doesn't go on - 'cos it certainly does - but no-where near the scale as the UK, and not all over - just more in concentrated areas. People drink - and I find their capacity to do so quite impressive - but they mostly do it in private at home or in friend's homes.

Drink driving is still an issue here - and I think all ages are as much into their cannabis as they are their beers.

However, I like going to public functions, parades, Canada Day concerts, Xmas street parties where I feel it's safe for me and the kids to wander around in peace. By 8pm in the UK it would be an alcoholic free-for-all. I'm all for people enjoying themselves, but not at the expense of safety for those around them, at the expense of local shop windows, at the expense of pumping their stomachs and stitching their wounds. Boring? Maybe!

Canada will catch up with the UK on the booze-fuelled culture in due course. I'm happy it's behind the times at the mo
Cnadians need to grow up. theres nothing wrong with getting drunk and whos right is it anyway to tell me I cant drink in public. if you and your prissy friends don't like it stay away. i have my right to enjoy myself to. trouble with canada is that having a good time in public is not accpetbale, its bloody boring sitting inside drinking cause you'll get harresed by the police if you go out. this is a right shite country with shite people living in it. I cant wait to get back to the UK. made a bit mistake leaving manchester and my m8s. what for more money? you can keep your big house and cars not worth it have to work all the time over here. cant be late even if your had a skinfull the nite before and you dont feel well oh no get bloody fired what kind of fariness is that? wheres my rights!!!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
I've been fined for:

- wine with picnic
- participating in pick up football game, no permit, not part of sanctioned league
- allowing children to paddle in lake, no permit

Canadians love to legislate and prosecute, it's the national pastime. I say let them enjoy it, the fines aren't enormous and it keeps the unhyphenated in work.

I can get curry though. No end of curry houses here.
you dead right man. need permision for evrythin here. if you have a party and it goes on after bloody midnight the fcking neghbors only have to call the police and they come round and threaten you with arrest if you dont stop. how fair is that??? I told the last cop he couldnt do that without a court order and he swore at me told me i was an ignorant brit and threaten to hancuff me best of all the arsehloe was from the uk to. told me i had no rights and woulnt get out of my flat until everyone had gone. I tried to complain the next day to the police and they told me to get out..wont find any justice or fairness in place.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tangram
Do you have a drinking problem ?
I dont have a drinking problem, canadians have a drinking problem in that they cant drink. ever been out drinking with canadain? oo i've had 2 shtty pints better slow down now. its boring. in the Uk we could go to a great pub and then a club and nobody would start saying theyd had enough after two pints. no life in this hole and I miss the greatest team in the world the blues candians have this crap game ice hockey dont understand it and dont want to either its boring football is the greatest sport ever, but canadians think its ice hockey city is the greatest football team but would you believe that have of canada never heard of city, there so ignorant.

dont come to this hellhole youll regret it.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

and whos right is it anyway to tell me I cant drink in public. if you and your prissy friends don't like it stay away.

Where's the f-off smilie when you need it ?

cant be late even if your had a skinfull the nite before and you dont feel well oh no get bloody fired what kind of fariness is that? wheres my rights!!!
I smell troll now .....no-one is that bloody ignorant, are they?

Enjoy your trip back to Manchester ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.